Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #181
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah here's the panel arrangement they're proposing:

Feels like I have to have 2 different systems one for each half of the day

Zeno, my coworker used them so I got a referral.

I'll probably get one other quote at least.

Maybe give solar YYC a call, IMO that arrangement looks suspect, even the panels behind the chimney will experience quite a bit of shade, not sure they will provide much to the system.

Pm me if you want a contact, if there is a referral reward id split it with you.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #182
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah here's the panel arrangement they're proposing:

Feels like I have to have 2 different systems one for each half of the day

Zeno, my coworker used them so I got a referral.

I'll probably get one other quote at least.

Sorry for the multipost reply, this is my setup, down is south, you can see the array that faces east.

The bottom graph, is the 30 day, daily average per panel (roughly arranged like they are on my house. It's pretty apparent that East facing is producing roughly 80% the power of South facing, so the overall size of your system isn't likely too far off, assuming you use similar power as me.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #183
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We suited my basement and my parents live down there, they have their own stove and dryer but we're just a family of 3 upstairs but yeah I agree given the suboptimal roof layout the size is probably fine.

EDIT: Maybe we should have a solar pergola lol.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:44 PM   #184
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
EDIT: Maybe we should have a solar pergola lol.
I've considered the same thing. Most of my roof slopes east/west, backyard faces south. I could build a nice big patio roof and cover it with solar panels.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 12:39 PM   #185
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loans are available for solar in Calgary

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nace-1.6604702
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #186
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Loans are available for solar in Calgary

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nace-1.6604702
This is great! Can't wait for the details, and I think we'll probably end up pulling the trigger now. The sticker shock for installation was what was holding us back.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #187
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see the details and how they compared to the Canada Green Homes Loan (and grant).

CGHL: up to $40k; 10 year repayment with 0% interest. Have to jump through audit hoops, but would also get $5k in grant money.

vs.

Up to $50k; 15 year repayment with 'low interest'. Maybe less red tape?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #188
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It'll be interesting to see the details and how they compared to the Canada Green Homes Loan (and grant).

CGHL: up to $40k; 10 year repayment with 0% interest. Have to jump through audit hoops, but would also get $5k in grant money.

vs.

Up to $50k; 15 year repayment with 'low interest'. Maybe less red tape?
I was going to do the City property tax loan when it was first announced but have changed my mind and will be trying for the federal loan. I haven't applied for the federal loan yet so I guess if it is denied for some reason I'll go with the city loan.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #189
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still many months away from getting solar but I'm curious to know if any of you guys with systems prep them for snow in the winter? I'm wondering if there is any sort of anti-freeze solution that you can spray on either before or after a big snowfall to speed up snow melt and get back to electricity generation.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #190
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm still many months away from getting solar but I'm curious to know if any of you guys with systems prep them for snow in the winter? I'm wondering if there is any sort of anti-freeze solution that you can spray on either before or after a big snowfall to speed up snow melt and get back to electricity generation.
Not that I'm aware of. I just hope for lots of sun and some warmer temps after a big snowfall. Took just about 9 days from that dump of snow earlier this month for my panels to melt off enough to start producing again.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #191
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The installing company may offer to sell you a huge broom you can use to brush off the snow, but no way I am taking a chance with potentially breaking/cracking a panel if the broom comes down hard the wrong way on it.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #192
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
The installing company may offer to sell you a huge broom you can use to brush off the snow, but no way I am taking a chance with potentially breaking/cracking a panel if the broom comes down hard the wrong way on it.
I'd need a reeeeeaaaaallly tall broom to reach mine up on the roof. However if they were lower I'd be ok with clearing them with a broom carefully, and if they can stand up to hailstones they should be able to take that. Also the cost of the panels is probably one of the cheapest parts of the system if you need to replace a damaged one.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #193
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

They are black, so they melt snow quite quickly in the sun. I don't think anyone does anything to them in Calgary.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #194
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I just hope for lots of sun and some warmer temps after a big snowfall. Took just about 9 days from that dump of snow earlier this month for my panels to melt off enough to start producing again.
That is why I wondering if anyone does anything to promote snow melt. A neighbor down the alley has panels and his just melted enough this weekend to be clear although the panels are west facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I've seen the brooms. It would probably work well enough for my first floor panels but the second floor and garage would be inaccessible.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #195
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could use a t-shirt cannon filled with coal dust. Launch it at the panels, dust darkens the snow, snow melts, voila, power via coal.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #196
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There isn't enough sun in the winter months to bother cleaning the panels. Mine have pretty much not produced any energy in November - may it cost me $20-$30 - not worth it to clear the snow.

They are about 30% clear now, will probably be fully cleared by end of the week.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #197
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could use a t-shirt cannon filled with coal dust. Launch it at the panels, dust darkens the snow, snow melts, voila, power via coal.
Giant heat gun powered by high sulfur fuel oil would probably work as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #198
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I would highly recommend snow guards. Snow/ice will melt off the panels and can slide off very quickly and in a bunch. Can be dangerous for people underneath.

Haven't had to spray anything on mine. The snow sliding is a bigger issue.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #199
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
There isn't enough sun in the winter months to bother cleaning the panels. Mine have pretty much not produced any energy in November - may it cost me $20-$30 - not worth it to clear the snow.

They are about 30% clear now, will probably be fully cleared by end of the week.
Depends on your exposure, last year I still managed to produce 181.15kWh, and exported 112.75 of that. So far this year I'm only at 43.2kWh with an export of 19.98.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #200
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Depends on your exposure, last year I still managed to produce 181.15kWh, and exported 112.75 of that. So far this year I'm only at 43.2kWh with an export of 19.98.
I'm not sure of the timeline you are referring, but to put that in perspective, by now you would be on the import rate, so energy has a cost around $0.085/kWh, lets assume you pay another $0.08/kWh in fixed and variable fees (estimate only)

so if you produce 181.14kWh (export 112.75 and self consume 68.4) that means your production is worth

112.75 * 0.085 + 68.4*(0.085+0.08) = $20.87

My point is that $20 isn't worth it for me to spend the time to clean them, risk damage to the panel, or injury to myself (I've seen the panels shed snow and I wouldn't want to pull that down on me)

Here are my numbers

October 22 2021 - November 21 2021 = 531 kWh
October 22 2022 - November 22 2022 = 147kWh

I've been covered in snow since November 1, but still for 400kWh were talking $40 potential, so maybe over the course of the whole winter it's a couple hundred, but it's still a drop compared to generation in the summer.

My panels make 11,000kWH/year and make about 10,000kWh during the "export months" when they are valued at $0.285/kWh.

If I miss out on producing 1500kWh during the winter that is also at the import rate of $0.085/kWh. so that 1500kW only accounts for less than 4% of my annual revenue.

Last edited by gasman; 11-22-2022 at 02:32 PM.