Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #2781
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Drowning for sure . Who would choose bear attack ?
Not me.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #2782
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Coming right out of downtown? I wonder if Centre is actually the easiest grade, the hills are brutal on the bluff and you'd have to deviate quite a bit west or east for those pathways. Still a bold move, why not stay on the sidewalk?

Yeah. I was waiting for the bus across the street from the James Short parkade.

In their defence, the sidewalk is normally crammed with people waiting for the bus. They probably turned onto a pathway later.

I have seen some cyclists attempt to go all the way up Centre St, and if they aren’t fit, its kind of sad to watch as the already slow moving traffic goes around them.

Last edited by Wormius; 09-27-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #2783
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really like any of the parties and their platforms, especially the NDP. But for my stage in life and some potential future purchases, the NDP will likely be the one to hand me the most money back in comparison to the other parties. EV, windows, HVAC, young family, energy efficiency upgrades etc. Yeah, they'll tax me more, but I'll take all of it right back and more if they're in power.

It's such as weird dilemma for me. It's the platform I dislike the most, but the one that would likely benefit my family and my pocketbook the most.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #2784
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I guess the NDP will have to hope that farmers and rural Albertans have short memories.
They could get a majority government without winning a single rural seat. There are 87 seats in the Legislature. 26 are in the city of Calgary and 20 are in the city of Edmonton.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #2785
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah. I was waiting for the bus across the street from the James Short parkade.

In their defence, the sidewalk is normally crammed with people waiting for the bus. They probably turned onto a pathway later.

I have seen some cyclists attempt to go all the way up Centre St, and if they aren’t fit, its kind of sad to watch as the already slow moving traffic goes around them.
I used to do the right lane up Ctr all the time from downtown if I had to get home more quickly. There's three lanes, they can pass me in one of the other two.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #2786
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Using Bill 6 as an argument against the NDP is laughable. Arguably they fuxked up the comms by not immediately identifying that family would be exempted, sure.

But really, you don’t think that workers in one sector should have the same safety protections of workers in all others? Or what, that some business owners should get to ge exempted from the same requirements as others and get to offload the entirety of their safety incident costs to the taxpayers? I can’t rack my brain hard enough.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #2787
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arguing against anything that the ndp did while in power is just so cute in comparison to actually looking at the carnage the ucp have wrought in every major file.

I mean, from a rural perspective they tried to ram through a mining deal on the eastern slopes that would have crippled the water supply for farming and ranching in Southern alberta past calgary.

Grassroots movement put a hold on that, led primarily by ranchers with an assist from internet environmental nutjobs. Ucp managed to get those two groups together, which is a bit of a hallmark moment.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #2788
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Arguing against anything that the ndp did while in power is just so cute in comparison to actually looking at the carnage the ucp have wrought in every major file.

I mean, from a rural perspective they tried to ram through a mining deal on the eastern slopes that would have crippled the water supply for farming and ranching in Southern alberta past calgary.

Grassroots movement put a hold on that, led primarily by ranchers with an assist from internet environmental nutjobs. Ucp managed to get those two groups together, which is a bit of a hallmark moment.
That mining thing alone could cost us billions.

Quote:
An Australian coal company is alleging that Alberta is liable for billions after reversing course on policy tied to coal development in the province.

As first reported by the Calgary Herald, Atrum Coal Ltd., along with its subsidiary, Elan Coal Ltd., says it is seeking $3.53 billion, tied to the value of its Elan Project. It is also seeking an additional $300 million for losses to shareholders.

It claims recent actions surrounding Alberta's 1976 coal policy forced Atrum's share price to plummet and deprived the companies of the value of ongoing coal projects.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...vage-1.6593054

But durr de durr, lightbulbs!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #2789
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

To be fair, I’m still pretty upset that I registered for free lightbulbs and it didn’t work. Then I later found out the online appointments glitched or some crap and weren’t gonna be honoured. Finally, I was told to just go buy my own lightbulbs and submit receipts or some ####.

And let’s be real here, not getting free lightbulbs is about as important to be as destroying the environment, privatizing our provincial parks and destroying the healthcare system.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:23 PM   #2790
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That mining thing alone could cost us billions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...vage-1.6593054

But durr de durr, lightbulbs!
Isn't this lawsuit essentially on the same basis as the TC Energy/UCP claim regarding the Keystone XL Biden decision. Unfortunately the company can pound sand and cry all they want about losing money and value on their investment because the government had a change of heart.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #2791
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Got those gemstone LED lights and Imma fire them up for every Flames/Jays win, Halloween and then the entire winter.
It'd be super cool if for a Flames win, they lit up red and yellow, for a Jays win, they lit up blue and white and then whatever colours you wanted for Xmas or Flames off days!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #2792
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Isn't this lawsuit essentially on the same basis as the TC Energy/UCP claim regarding the Keystone XL Biden decision. Unfortunately the company can pound sand and cry all they want about losing money and value on their investment because the government had a change of heart.
So the UCP screwed up in both cases then?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #2793
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
So the UCP screwed up in both cases then?
If you believe that TC/UCP don't have a leg to stand on regarding Keystone XL then this company is in the same position and vice versa.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #2794
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is the UCP rescinded the policy, received massive blowback(particularly form rural areas), but in that time companies started spending money, then the UCP reversed course to "placate" us rabble rousing citizens. This is entirely an own goal by the UCP, whereas the KXL debacle was mostly the US changing government(and was incredibly predictable, given Biden's stance). Then the UCP scored on us again by donating over a billion to TCEnergy because they bet on Trump winning, which anyone with a few brain cells could have seen that was a super risky bet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #2795
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you believe that TC/UCP don't have a leg to stand on regarding Keystone XL then this company is in the same position and vice versa.
I think the TCPL claim is under NAFTA which an Australian company wouldn't have access to. But in general I agree both are long shots at best.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #2796
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To be fair, I’m still pretty upset that I registered for free lightbulbs and it didn’t work. Then I later found out the online appointments glitched or some crap and weren’t gonna be honoured. Finally, I was told to just go buy my own lightbulbs and submit receipts or some ####.

And let’s be real here, not getting free lightbulbs is about as important to be as destroying the environment, privatizing our provincial parks and destroying the healthcare system.
I can’t vote for a party that gives away free lightbulbs on principal. That’s principal’s name is Greg. I also can’t vote for a party that gives away free lightbulbs on principle. That principle is that I don’t believe in light.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:03 PM   #2797
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m pretty sure it is.
Apparantly yes it is however there aren’t many solutions provided either. For example, as I understand it, one is not allowed to have a 2nd plate shown dangling off your bike rack. However in Europe they’ve embraced putting indicators and brakes and a plate holder on their racks.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #2798
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clients really grind my ####ing gears.

Hey UCB, you need to staff up to handle X amount of work.

Sweet, got it

Hey client we are staffed up where's the work

Errrrmmmm we aren't sure

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #2799
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
For me this is like the question: would you rather die by drowning or in a bear attack?
Drowning is supposed to be a pretty bad way to die but with bear attack it's possible that you end up being eaten alive which has to be horrifying.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:58 AM   #2800
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bears are quite comfortable in the water; one could eat you while you are drowning.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post: