Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #21
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking to try Oura.
As someone who likes wearing actual watches, I only wear Samsung Gear watch for golfing. A non watch for tracking would suite me better.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #22
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesss perfect timing for this thread! Exactly what I'm shopping for but I'm overwhelmed with choice, plus I want it to pair well with my phone (Samsung 10), so Apple isn't happening.

Ideally I'd get a Samsung watch but I'm a little taken aback at the price of the new one, especially given it apparently has issues with a lot of apps not working, and doesn't even have a compass feature. And the Samsung fitness ones seem a little too niche on just the fitness part, whereas I want this to legit be my every day watch on top of using the fitness features.

Any recommendations on a good watch to pair with a Samsung phone that's not over $500-600? And actually does anyone have the Galaxy 3 watch? Is it worth it?

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-20-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been using Fitbit Inspire HR. Its pretty good. My wife has been using Fitbit Flex2 for a loooong time. My phone loads/syncs the data from the Fitbit much quicker than hers, but it is slow if I don't do it regularly.

We got our 12 year old son an Inspire (sans HR) last May. He needed motivation to keep active during the pandemic and the Fitbit Ace doesn't fit him. The FitBit broke where the strap bolts into the fitbit itself. So the strap doesn't stay on anymore. We contacted support and because he isn't 13 they won't fix it. So we have to wait 3 weeks (for when he turns 13) to be able to contact them again to ask for the to fix it...

I see that Google just bought Fitbit too.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #24
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yesss perfect timing for this thread! Exactly what I'm shopping for but I'm overwhelmed with choice, plus I want it to pair well with my phone (Samsung 10), so Apple isn't happening.

Ideally I'd get a Samsung watch but I'm a little taken aback at the price of the new one, especially given it apparently has issues with a lot of apps not working, and doesn't even have a compass feature. And the Samsung fitness ones seem a little too niche on just the fitness part, whereas I want this to legit be my every day watch on top of using the fitness features.

Any recommendations on a good watch to pair with a Samsung phone that's not over $500-600? And actually does anyone have the Galaxy 3 watch? Is it worth it?
I have the Gear S3 and barely ever use it.

The battery needs to be charged almost daily so I have to charge over night and can't use the sleep functions.
The spin dial software isn't my favourite and I've had issues with it stopping tracking when I've taken it running.
I end up getting my running partners Strava tracking from his Garmin since my own tracking fails mid run.

I now only use it golfing and have the golfpad app which sinks with the app on my phone. This shows the yardage for my shots on the course throughout my round.

Overall not very happy with it but it is helpful on the golf course.

Take my review with a grain of salt though as I admittedly haven't developed a habit of wearing it often and getting used to the software. Every time I put it back on I'm trying to remember what buttons to push.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a Fitbit Versa 2. Nothing crazy but provides everything I'm looking for. I also love reviewing my sleep pattern and can see the affect that things I do have on the time I spend in REM, Deep and Light sleep. Only annoyance I have is that I sometimes need to reset the Bluetooth on my phone to get my Fitbit to sync with it but it's not regular. Might even be my phone and not the watch.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #26
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have a Whoop strap, had it for about 6 months now and am fairly impressed with it. I was drawn to it as I don't want to wear a watch or have another screen to look at.

It does a great job with sleep tracking and seems to me to be quite accurate. It also measures strain and recovery using different metrics such as resting heart rate, heart rate variability, respiratory rate, calories burned, etc.

I can honestly say it makes me work harder, keeps me honest. With that said I have been considering trying Oura ring, but I feel it would end up getting scratched to hell with all the dumbbell work I do.
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKiprusoffResurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #27
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
I have a Whoop strap, had it for about 6 months now and am fairly impressed with it. I was drawn to it as I don't want to wear a watch or have another screen to look at.

It does a great job with sleep tracking and seems to me to be quite accurate. It also measures strain and recovery using different metrics such as resting heart rate, heart rate variability, respiratory rate, calories burned, etc.

I can honestly say it makes me work harder, keeps me honest. With that said I have been considering trying Oura ring, but I feel it would end up getting scratched to hell with all the dumbbell work I do.
Wow, thanks for this! I have never heard of this!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #28
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’m intrigued about the sleep tracking benefits. Once you establish your “baseline” are there specific and/or customized ways to improve your overall level or quality of sleep?

It hasn’t been an issue per se but happy to look at options that might help (thanks to CP I ended up getting a better pillow which has been well worth it IMO).
I have a fitbit charge 2 and find the accuracy quite good. You wake up in the middle of the night at 2:32am. The next morning you check your fitbit and it shows you were up 2:32am for 6 minutes. Shows all your sleep cycles and even things like how your sleep is affected by drinking the evening before.

It will show you how restless you were while sleeping, sleep patterns, overall score and will give you tips on how to improve. My sleep has improved because of all the info and i have to say i feel much better each day.

After reading this thread i’m looking at other potential sleep trackers as well but for now fitbit does a great job.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #29
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Wow, thanks for this! I have never heard of this!

No worries. It is $40/mth, but the strap is free. It's a bit pricey I suppose, but for me personally it is worth it.

The app is well put together, I'm always checking it throughout the day seeing where my scores are at, especially after a workout. It gives you seperate scores for each workout, along with detailed information about the workout including a HR graph and the amount of time spent in different HR zones.

I would definitely recommend it.
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKiprusoffResurrection For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #30
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
No worries. It is $40/mth, but the strap is free. It's a bit pricey I suppose, but for me personally it is worth it.

The app is well put together, I'm always checking it throughout the day seeing where my scores are at, especially after a workout. It gives you seperate scores for each workout, along with detailed information about the workout including a HR graph and the amount of time spent in different HR zones.

I would definitely recommend it.
I am a massive numbers nerd. And was a high level athlete into my late 20s till I retired. I took a decade off and much like many athletes who dedicated their youth and 20s to a sport and finally packed it in, I gained a tonne of weight and let my health go by the way side as I pursued my career.

I am nearing 40 now and I am back on track (in a new sport, geared more for my age category) and am trying to get into performance shape, so this thing is gonna help that big time.

It's wild, because I was literally just days ago researching fitness trackers extensively and this thing wasn't even on my radar!

Serendipitous!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #31
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I have the Gear S3 and barely ever use it.

The battery needs to be charged almost daily so I have to charge over night and can't use the sleep functions.

The spin dial software isn't my favourite and I've had issues with it stopping tracking when I've taken it running.

I end up getting my running partners Strava tracking from his Garmin since my own tracking fails mid run.

I now only use it golfing and have the golfpad app which sinks with the app on my phone. This shows the yardage for my shots on the course throughout my round.

Overall not very happy with it but it is helpful on the golf course.

Take my review with a grain of salt though as I admittedly haven't developed a habit of wearing it often and getting used to the software. Every time I put it back on I'm trying to remember what buttons to push.
Thanks dude, yeah thats kind of what I've been hearing. Interesting to hear about the dial, as that's actually the feature I was interested in the most..and also what reviewers (the 2-3 ones I watched anyway) seemed to like the best too. Good to know!

That sucks, think I'll try to find another Android compatible watch to pair with my phone.

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-21-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m quite interested in this. I use an Apple Watch at this point and I do like it, but I could use both for a while. I guess part of what interests me here though, is they say it reduces injuries. I’m assuming that’s due to the recovery tracking? As I get older I find I end up with little tweaks and such that can linger for longer than they would have years ago. If I could avoid those, $40/month would be well worth it!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #33
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’m quite interested in this. I use an Apple Watch at this point and I do like it, but I could use both for a while. I guess part of what interests me here though, is they say it reduces injuries. I’m assuming that’s due to the recovery tracking? As I get older I find I end up with little tweaks and such that can linger for longer than they would have years ago. If I could avoid those, $40/month would be well worth it!
Oh man, overdue it once as you are trying to pick up your training and it sets you back days!

It's wild how much my recovery phases have slowed down. I used to just put my head down and push through and a day later I am back to 99%.

Now, it's 3-4 days of pain and 60%.

Hopefully this strap is gonna help me keep myself in line and focus my training!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Oh man, overdue it once as you are trying to pick up your training and it sets you back days!

It's wild how much my recovery phases have slowed down. I used to just put my head down and push through and a day later I am back to 99%.

Now, it's 3-4 days of pain and 60%.

Hopefully this strap is gonna help me keep myself in line and focus my training!
I totally agree. I had this little muscle tweak this week and I don't even know how I did it, but it basically puts you on the rack for a week. Years ago (doesn't seem like that long ago!) I would've been back at it the next day. $40/month is pretty steep I think, and I don't love the subscription model for most things, but like I say if this helped me avoid injury it's definitely worth it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #35
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I totally agree. I had this little muscle tweak this week and I don't even know how I did it, but it basically puts you on the rack for a week. Years ago (doesn't seem like that long ago!) I would've been back at it the next day. $40/month is pretty steep I think, and I don't love the subscription model for most things, but like I say if this helped me avoid injury it's definitely worth it.
I'm gonna do the 6 month at the higher rate, see if it's as good as it seems, then do the extended 18 month (or longer) as it drops the per month to less than half the rate per month.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #36
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had my Garmin Vivoactive 3 for about 2.5years now. Been fairly bulletproof although the wrist based heart rate honestly has not been great. If paired with a chest strap then no problem at all. I can do virtually any sport,including swimming, and it's fantastic. I went with this because I got tired of literally carrying around my large Garmin Edge 810 bike computer in order to record numbers! The newer Vivoactive 4 has many upgrades (pulseOx, better sleep tracking, better HRM, BT audio, etc...) and so that's likely my next upgrade when this dies and/or I can afford it (unless I get one of the 900-series fancy ones). Oh and the watch doesn't look like a "sports watch" so works well in any social environment... unlike my ancient blocky Polar brick.
RichieRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #37
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

If anyone is thinking of trying Whoop, DM me or Slava or TheKiprusoffResurrection

I think we can give you a free month with a referral code!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #38
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
See this thread: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=179133

(I got the adjustable shredded memory foam pillow linked in the first reply and have been happy with it)
I got this pillow, it is great!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Thanks dude, yeah thats kind of what I've been hearing. Interesting to hear about the dial, as that's actually the feature I was interested in the most..and also what reviewers (the 2-3 ones I watched anyway) seemed to like the best too. Good to know!

That sucks, think I'll try to find another Android compatible watch to pair with my phone.
Update: So I was drunk last night and totally forgot until I saw the confirmation email today that I bought this watch online at 2 AM, lol... hope it works out!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:03 AM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve had my Fitbit Aspire for a few months and suddenly some text messages are also going to my watch. I didn’t know it had that ability and it only started a few days ago. Anyone know about this?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote