Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default The Pain Train

I once got a bunch of fiberglass/resin dust blown into my eyes while working on some old surfboards. It didn’t set in until the following evening but the searing pain in my eyes woke me from a dead sleep. It was awful. I couldn’t see for a couple of days and had to wear sunglasses outside for a few more when my vision came back. I wouldn’t recommend.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #2
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I once got a bunch of fiberglass/resin dust blown into my eyes while working on some old surfboards. It didn’t set in until the following evening but the searing pain in my eyes woke me from a dead sleep. It was awful. I couldn’t see for a couple of days and had to wear sunglasses outside for a few more when my vision came back. I wouldn’t recommend.
Did you go to the doctor? When I was apprenticing for my.red seal in cooking a dude got a bitt of super hot chili powder in his eye the day before when we were learning curries and it woke him up from a dead sleep. He went to the emergency room and they told him any longer and he would have gone.blind. no joke. Cant image old surf board particulates being much better.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:56 AM   #3
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was washing my paint gun from a brand new 5 gallon barrel of commercial gun wash in a dispenser. Somehow it splashed back from the drum right into my eyes. I seriously honestly believe my balls were melting. Never been so scared in my life, I was sure I was blind.
I think I have a bit of permanent damage in one eye.

No joke. Losing your vision would be god awful.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:14 AM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

After the flood of 2013 in High River I was riding along one of the towns paved bike paths by the Highwood golf course. As I crested a bike bridge the pavement on the other side was washed out by the flood leaving a huge sink hole. I didn't see it in time and did a nose dive into the sink hole where I was flipped off my bike. I ended up breaking the bone in my left wrist.

I had surgery done the next day at the Rockyview where I had 2 plates with 4 and 3 screws inserted to keep the bone in place. Was told to expect possible nerve damage and or arthritis but 7 years later, nothing.

I went to the town office after I was released from the hospital and told them where the sink hole was and to fill it. To their credit it was filled the following day. In hind sight I should have sued.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Did you go to the doctor? When I was apprenticing for my.red seal in cooking a dude got a bitt of super hot chili powder in his eye the day before when we were learning curries and it woke him up from a dead sleep. He went to the emergency room and they told him any longer and he would have gone.blind. no joke. Cant image old surf board particulates being much better.

Yeah I did - I had to get my roommate to walk me down the road to get my eyes flushed.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #8
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sciatica pain...(SP ?)

I wouldn't wish it on an Oiler Fan...
Especially when you are in the field.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Biggest pain, getting voluntarily shot by a tazer. It was terrifying as well.

Oh and when I got hit by a car when I was on my bike, going over the top of the car and skidding in my shorts, road rash and pulling gravel out of your leg is unpleasant to say the least.

Oh and getting punched in the face in a fight and having my eye socket crack.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
Guest1

42 hours of labour. Third degree tear.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You absolutely win.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #12
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fell between two beams on a construction site and got wedged in between them. Cracked my tailbone and sheared the skin on my shin. Also played high school soccer and stepped in a gopher hole and twisted my ankle, ripping the tendon off in my foot. Not fun.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tailbone injuries are the worst, you almost want to go on a liquid died so you don't need to sit down.

Had the same kind of gopher hole destruction, luckily I was drunk out of my mind when it happened so I didn't feel a thing

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I somehow grabbed a soldering iron by the wrong end once. The blisters were pretty impressive. Thing almost stuck to my fingers
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
After the flood of 2013 in High River I was riding along one of the towns paved bike paths by the Highwood golf course. As I crested a bike bridge the pavement on the other side was washed out by the flood leaving a huge sink hole. I didn't see it in time and did a nose dive into the sink hole where I was flipped off my bike. I ended up breaking the bone in my left wrist.

I had surgery done the next day at the Rockyview where I had 2 plates with 4 and 3 screws inserted to keep the bone in place. Was told to expect possible nerve damage and or arthritis but 7 years later, nothing.

I went to the town office after I was released from the hospital and told them where the sink hole was and to fill it. To their credit it was filled the following day. In hind sight I should have sued.

After the Flood in 2013 I was helping my dad clean-up flood damage at the ranch. I was using a pressure-washer to clean out the stable, wearing just shorts and sandals. I set the wand down, and somehow it got triggered and started flailing around - the stream cut a gash across my leg like a sword, blood gushing out every time my heart beat. My dad gave me first aid, and I seemed ok for a day or two. Then, my leg got very sore and swollen, and the emergency doctors were worried I had flesh eating disease. There was talk of amputating my leg, but first they tried antibiotics to see what would happen. Turns out my leg was not infected, but my leg was swollen just from the trauma of the pressure wound. I was able to go home a few days later on crutches.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Tailbone injuries are the worst, you almost want to go on a liquid died so you don't need to sit down.
)
I disagree.

I think mouth injuries are the worst.

I was once cut open for 30+ stitches in my mouth, inside my upper lip.

Eating hurt
talking hurt
drinking hurt
laughing was the worst.

it was horrendous.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #17
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Working a plant shutdown I had to crawl through some pipes to do an upside down over the shoulder kind of weld. I got the bright idea to duck tape my coverall sleeve to my glove to keep the sparks out. Hot slag burned right through the sleeve and jammed in the glove, which I couldn’t get off because of the tape. Slow burn ....
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #18
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

One time the guy who played Mr Belvedere sat on his balls and they had to stop shooting for three days.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #19
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back many, many moons ago, I was stocking shelves overnight at Walmart. I was in the detergent aisle, and was loading up the boxed laundry detergent. I lifted the box over my head to put it onto the topmost shelf and then looked up to make sure it was going in the right place.

The bottom corner of the box just disintegrated, and I got a facefull of the soap, right in my open eyes and mouth.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many years ago I was helping a friend clear a cut line on his property, in the middle of winter. We were about 3 or 4km away from the truck and cutting trees with chainsaws. A young fella who was helping me accidentally pushed/bumped the tree I was cutting back towards me. I didnt notice it right away, but the tree hit the chainsaw back into my left knee. I looked down a few secs later and noticed that my jeans had a giant tear, but was more concerned with the ever increasing red stain. I put the saw down, opened the tear in my jeans to see a gaping cut where the chainsaw had hit me. It was at least -20C and deep snow so that likely helped me survive a significant blood loss. I immediately grabbed snow and packed it on my knee and wrapped a cloth tourniquet around my upper leg. I yelled to my buddy that we needed to hit the road to a hopsital quickly or I might bleed to death. Fortunately he liked me, and after understanding the immediate concern, we were off. Now hiking through deep snow is usually not to much of an issue, but with a knee that was cut and bleeding profusely it made the journey hellish to say the least. We got to the truck and ended up in a small rural hospital, which was about 45 minutes from the truck. I was not in a good mood and the pain was literally ripping up my left thigh by this time. We walked into the hospital and quickly let the duty nurse know what happened. They got me into a wheelchair and into a small surgical room pretty quickly, I was thankful. Lost a lot of blood and the pain was pretty intense, but it took a good hour before that started. Pretty thankful there was a lot of snow and it was cold out that day!
50 stitches later, and fortunately no significant damage, I was out.

Last edited by Cheese; 01-19-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: