Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #81
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stole the spotlight again. Oilers fans in fits. Hilarious.

Three amazing drafts in a row.

Draft Treliving day is fun.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #82
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #83
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre had quite the week! Here is Wes Gilbertsons tweet.

Quote:
#Flames GM Treliving's past week...
F: Draft Valimaki
Sa: Trade for Hamonic
M: RFAs
Tu: Sign Foo
Th: Sign Versteeg, trade for Lack/Murphy
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #84
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Busiest week of his tenure for sure! No stones unturned. Asset building at every turn.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #85
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Saturday: Stone or Del Zotto, Marleau, Jagr
Sunday: Convincing a fellow Gm to offer sheet Draisital for the hell of it.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #86
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Saturday: Stone or Del Zotto, Marleau, Jagr
Sunday: Convincing a fellow Gm to offer sheet Draisital for the hell of it.
DO NOT SIGN. He is awful.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #87
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really impressive how Treliving targeted Smith, Hamonic, and Lack and reels all of them in before FA day. With these 3 moves he has adressed 3 of the most dire needs going into the offseason for the team. There isn't much out there seemingly for RW but he will find a way. Yes Treliving has definately earned my respect as a GM. Hats off
Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #88
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great week, all done without signing an overpriced free agent. Time will tell but looks like he has made some darn good moves!!
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Treliving has generally done great work, I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here.

Fixing goaltending was the biggest question before the season, and Smith and Lack both come with pretty big question marks.

I'm not saying it can't work out, but if our season goes down the toilet because of goaltending, it won't be a surprise either. On paper that doesn't look that great to me.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 04:35 AM   #90
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
While Treliving has generally done great work, I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket here.

Fixing goaltending was the biggest question before the season, and Smith and Lack both come with pretty big question marks.

I'm not saying it can't work out, but if our season goes down the toilet because of goaltending, it won't be a surprise either. On paper that doesn't look that great to me.

I don't think you are wrong, but in terms of a placeholder tandem that shouldn't be terrible i think it's a pretty decent solution.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 AM   #91
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

at least this time, we know that Smith can handle a big workload. 67 games in 11/12, 62 in 13/14 and 14/15, 55 in 16/17. His 34 games in the lockout season are 58 pro-rated to a full season. So that's different in comparison to Elliott, and that gives me hope. Lack has no term and can easily be replaced if he craps the bed, so it's low-risk, really.

In terms of a stop-gap solution, Smith/Lack isn't terrible ... especially since a lot of salary was retained and the acquisition cost was very, very low. I can't wait for the next Flames franchise goalie though, whoever it'll be. Not having to worry about goaltending because you have a star in net who carries a heavy workload for years is something that I really miss.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #92
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Comparing our goaltending before the start of this season to last year before the start of that season we are worse.

Comparing our goaltending before the start of this season to last year at the end? Probably still worse. But I'm willing to wait and see how it goes for a year.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #93
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So is this the real BT we're being treated to now? Was the one on his first contract just a pale imitation because he was in ownership shackles?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #94
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

If it's any comfort, on paper, Elliott and Johnson looked great and we all saw how that turned out.

Maybe now it will be opposite. Bad on paper, good on ice.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #95
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
at least this time, we know that Smith can handle a big workload. 67 games in 11/12, 62 in 13/14 and 14/15, 55 in 16/17. His 34 games in the lockout season are 58 pro-rated to a full season. So that's different in comparison to Elliott, and that gives me hope. Lack has no term and can easily be replaced if he craps the bed, so it's low-risk, really.

In terms of a stop-gap solution, Smith/Lack isn't terrible ... especially since a lot of salary was retained and the acquisition cost was very, very low. I can't wait for the next Flames franchise goalie though, whoever it'll be. Not having to worry about goaltending because you have a star in net who carries a heavy workload for years is something that I really miss.
Both are coming off of pretty mediocre seasons too. Goaltending is the biggest concern for this hockey team and Treliving has not yet addressed it after taking multiple swings at it. At some point he's going to have to get it right, or fall on his sword for it.

The biggest concern for me about the acquisition of Smith is that he is a disruptive force in the dressing room. Smith was not well liked by his team mates because he is quick to drive a bus over them. Smith has routinely called out his defensemen for his own poor play and will display on ice histrionics when something goes wrong. I would accept that if Mike Smith had a long history of winning, but Mike Smith is a middling goaltender and losing seems to follow him around.

From all indications Lack has lost his game and become a head case. All the things Carolina fans have said about him lead me to believe he's gone fuller Hillerand just the site of a hockey puck makes him wet his equipment. The coaching in Carolina supposedly messed with his game and he's an emotional wreck over it. I would say that good coaching might be able to save a guy like Lack, but our goaltending coaching is brutal and seems to have the opposite desired effect on goaltenders.

I have my fingers crossed on this, but I still don't have much faith in the goaltending tandem Treliving has culled together. I am still praying someone - Ritttich, Gillies, or Parsons - pulls a Vernon and steals the starting role sometime during the season during a call up. I would hate to see this team have another bad season because of goaltending, AGAIN.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #96
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I see it, this should be the last year with average at best goaltending. I fully expect one of the prospects to take the next step (which we should see part way through the season and he either gets called up or is a lock for the following season) OR I expect management to go all in on a legit star #1 goalie (Price). Of course it all depends on how things go this year. If Smith becomes the answer, we go with him and postpone things but IMO this can't go on much longer. With rumours of Price having interest in being near home and the other western teams goalie situations, I think the Flames are the perfect fit. I'd even be willing to trade for him now and give up most anything for him. However things play out, it looks like we have our 2 goalies to at least start the year and all we can do is hope for the best.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #97
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been extremely impressed with Treliving this summer. I love the Hamonic trade and how aggressive he was in acquiring him. He told the STH that Hamonic was the top target of thensummer for the organization and he got him. I also love the Versteeg contract keeping the term down to one year was great for the team.

The goalie tandem is not ideal but I prefer we did not come back with Elliott and Treliving agreed so I am happy. If it is true that Hickey was not going to sign here then Treliving paid an extremely low cost to acquire this new tandem. The Flames are paying Smith/Lack $5.5M when their actual combined cap hit is $8.4M so that is a positive. Also I am intrigued by Ryan Murphy who was once a highly touted offensive Dman.

Hoping he adds Marleau on a 2 year deal to cap off a great offseason. Winning the Spencer Foo race was also a solid move
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #98
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what could tre have done differently with the goaltending - mason? Offer sheet price?

What other options are out there?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames don't need all world goaltending. A nice and steady 0.915% and this team will be fighting for the division title IMO. Anything more than that is just gravy.

Smith put up 0.914% last season despite facing way more shots and high danger scoring chances than either of the Flames goalies.

No guarantees, but what Tre's done makes sense, especially when you factor in how high he seems on our young goalie prospects.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #100
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving making a run at "Employee of the Month" over at CSEC.

Expect Ken King to make a last minute charge on the final day of eligibility in June.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote