Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #441
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is our biggest issue as latency to Toronto Canada Central MS Azure is too high and Oracle doesn't like this. There is a connection hub in Vancouver but it's not the same as a datacenter region.

Regarding staffing, that is a good point, as I don't know how many support staff this will actually mean for local employment. I recall from the Facebook outage this year, their datacenters were almost empty of staff because of Covid and they had to physically bust down the stores to fix their routers.
I'm guessing they've already explored ExpressRoute as an option?

The staffing thing can be good or bad. Remote means you can hire talent where ever it exists, though typically within the country as you'll have headcount in that specific subsidiary. So you could live in Calgary or at your cabin near Lake Louise for all it matters, as long as you have solid connectivity and can fulfill the requirements of the role.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #442
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...-4b-investment

Amazon is putting their western Canada AWS region datacenter in Calgary. This is big news for the local economy and tech future. Even Microsoft's major regional datacenters are Toronto and Montreal and nothing out west. $4 Billion investment and 900 jobs.
From the article:

"Initial ground-breaking work has already begun on the local data centres. Senior AWS officials expect the new region in Western Canada to launch in late 2023 or early 2024."

Unclear if that means ground-breaking on the Calgary centre? If so then there should be some indication of where it actually is? Maybe the article is just poorly worded (or I am a poor reader)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #443
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is EXCELLENT news!!!

Guys, a region isn't one datacenter - it's multiple. Azure Toronto is something like 14 different physical detacenters.

They should start out with six at a minimum. I figure two downtown since the DCD has excellent connectivity and two physical power substations.

They do employ lots of people because they are constantly adding, upgrading and repairing infrastructure.

Also after the FB debacle ain't no one not having at least two people on-site at all times.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #444
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #445
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the article, they're working on three right now. Yippee! Another three should started soon too.

Amazing news. I've been harping on Amazon and Microsoft to set up here for years since Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver are terrible places to have datacenters.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #446
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm guessing they've already explored ExpressRoute as an option?
ER is extremely expensive. Last time I looked it was $2K/month on a 5 year term for a dedicated non-redundant 1gig connection. They literally lay a new line for you.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #447
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

Guys, a region isn't one datacenter - it's multiple. Azure Toronto is something like 14 different physical detacenters.

They should start out with six at a minimum. I figure two downtown since the DCD has excellent connectivity and two physical power substations.

They do employ lots of people because they are constantly adding, upgrading and repairing infrastructure.

Also after the FB debacle ain't no one not having at least two people on-site at all times.
3 , with a new one to begin construction shortly to replace the oldest substation. But all in all this is great news!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #448
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Knowing Amazon, they will probably buy cheap land on the edges of town for the datacenter and they are getting all their power from solar windfarms in Southern Alberta from what I hear.
Oh I meant that for other head offices.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #449
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ER is extremely expensive. Last time I looked it was $2K/month on a 5 year term for a dedicated non-redundant 1gig connection. They literally lay a new line for you.
Did you miss the part where he mentioned they're using Oracle? Cost is relative.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #450
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Did you miss the part where he mentioned they're using Oracle? Cost is relative.
Isn't Oracle cheaper than SAP?
Old 11-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #451
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Isn't Oracle cheaper than SAP?
Isn't a trepanation better than a lobotomy?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #452
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Isn't a trepanation better than a lobotomy?
I'm not sure why I found this so funny, but my wife had to ask me what I was giggling about.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #453
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Guys, a region isn't one datacenter - it's multiple. Azure Toronto is something like 14 different physical datacenters.

ExpressRoute can't get around latency as that is limited by physics such as the speed of light inside the fiber.

I'm going to fork this off into it's own thread as it seems like it's something us nerds want to talk about and it's also exciting news for Calgary!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #454
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Decathlon is now open in Southcentre Mall on the 2nd floor of the old Sears.

It was swamped over the weekend. Like a French MEC where everything is an in-house brand sourced cheaply and no-frills Ikea style and half the price of your typical sports store.

There is some robotic fullfilment center thing going on as well as basketball, squash courts, and I heard climbing wall but I did not see it.

There was everything from cycling (wow they have bikes and parts in stock - no name brands) to golf to hiking to home gym to tennis to hunting to equestrian (seriously there's a huge horse section), etc.
Went there to check it out last weekend. Very odd store. No recognizable brands anywhere. Most gear looked very entry level. Felt a bit like a walmart. Hope they make a go but I dont think I will be heading there often at all.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #455
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Went there to check it out last weekend. Very odd store. No recognizable brands anywhere. Most gear looked very entry level. Felt a bit like a walmart. Hope they make a go but I dont think I will be heading there often at all.
You've nailed it. I felt Decathalon is good if you're going to a festival and need a tent, but not great if you're going to hte Alps and need a tent.

My feel is that the cost per use (like almost all cheap gear) ends up being the same as buying quality gear, so savings are illusionary.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #456
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
You've nailed it. I felt Decathalon is good if you're going to a festival and need a tent, but not great if you're going to hte Alps and need a tent.

My feel is that the cost per use (like almost all cheap gear) ends up being the same as buying quality gear, so savings are illusionary.
Being poor is expensive yo
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #457
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post

Mountain Warehouse in Market Mall is the same. No brand names, but cheap prices.

I have my doubts about their success in Calgary. This town likes its brand names.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #458
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Just what the world needs, more #### that will get thrown away after a few uses.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #459
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ExpressRoute can't get around latency as that is limited by physics such as the speed of light inside the fiber.
Just to touch upon this, it can if you are removing enough extra hops between you and the destination by using a more direct connection. But you'd have to know if it was a significant enough reduction to solve the latency issues and justify the cost.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #460
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Just what the world needs, more #### that will get thrown away after a few uses.
Yup. May as well just buy a tent at Wal-Mart.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote