Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Building The 2018/19 Flames Roster

As we wait for a new coach, we might as well look at what BT has to work with as far as building a roster for next season, and discuss it.

This is what we've got as of now:

1. Gaudreau (6,750,000) - Monahan (6,375,000) - Ferland (1,750,000)
2. Tkachuk (925,000) - Backlund (5,350,000) - Frolik (4,300,000)
3. Bennett (1,950,000) - Jankowski (874,125) - Brouwer (4,500,000)
4. ________________ - N. Shore (971,250) - C. Lazar (950,000)

Extra - Hathaway (715,000), __________

1. Giordano (6,750,000) - Hamilton (5,750,000)
2. TJ Brodie (4,650,400) - Hamonic (3,857,143)
3. Br. Kulak (715,000) - M. Stone (3,500,000)

Extra - ______________

1. Smith (4,250,000)
2. Rittich (761,250)

Buy outs (Bouma and Murphy) - $904,167

That's all the signed NHLers + RFA NHLers
Dark Red = RFA Qualifying Offer
That's a roster size of 20 with 3 spots to fill

Cap is estimated between $78-82 million, so using $80 million cap that leaves the Flames $13,451,665 of cap space to work with depending on what kind of deals they sign the RFA's to.

Foo, Mangiapane and Dube probably have the best shot at cracking this roster as far as forward prospects go.

On the back end Andersson looks ready,but no spot. Valimaki will probably start in the AHL but he's a stud who could surprise. There is also 21 year old Kylington steadily progressing.

As for goalies, Smith is easily penciled in as the starter barring any changes, and Gillies/Rittich would battle for back up duties. Outside shot at Parsons making a push.

So, not a ton of roster spots to work with, but a TON of cap space to work with.

Really need to jettison some bodies one way or another and upgrade a few spots, especially the top 6 forward group, which would have a trickle down effect into the bottom 6 if done properly.

My dream off season scenarios:

1. Sign Tavares, trade Stone for picks, promote Andersson, promote wingers from within

2. Trade for ROR (Brodie package?), sign a UFA top six winger, trade Stone for picks, promote Andersson, fill remaining spots from within

Personally, I think we should keep Brouwer one more year. Maybe under a new coach things improve. I doubt it but maybe. Buy him out this year and he's on the books for $1.5 million for 4 more years. Wait one year and it's only for 2 more years, and maybe he can even be traded with just one year left and potential retention.

As for the goalies, keep it as status quo for another season. See if Rittich and Gillies can continue to grow into an NHL role. Unless of course a good long term option presents itself for the right price from somewhere else, such as Grubauer for example.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'd rearrange things a bit as I feel your lineup is stacked too much the way GG had it.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Ferland

That gives us two interchangeable scoring lines. If a top end RW was acquired you can bump one of Ferland/Bennett down to the 3rd line.

Frolik-Backlund-Lazar

I think that's a pretty elite checking line. I think Lazar might be able to evolve into a solid 3rd line player.

????-Shore-Brouwer/Hathaway

I think you could deal Brodie or Hamilton for another scoring threat. If you deal Brodie and Valimaki is ready then you might be able to go with

Gio-Hamilton
Kulak-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

If you deal Hamilton then I think you can go with

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Andersson

Smith
Rittich

Much like you I'd love Tavares or ROR. The UFAs besides Tavares aren't overwhelming as you'd probably have to overpay. Some minor interest in Kane, JVR, Bailey, Hornqvist, Neal but overpaying for any of them isn't attractive. Trade might be the better route.

Go hard after Tavares. Or see if anybody is willing to pay huge on Brodie/Hamilton. I'd trade Brodie ahead of Hamilton if anybody give us a nice offer for TJ. Hamilton could be dealt but only for a crazy offer IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Not a big name UFA but a guy that has some grit and can play up and down your line that the Flames may look at is Riley Nash.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I'd rearrange things a bit as I feel your lineup is stacked too much the way GG had it.
Yeah I didn't build a roster. I just put all the signed players and RFAs into line up form before changes happen.

Just so posters could see what management has to work with and then do their thing.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want the Flames to do almost whatever it takes to land Tavares (even if it takes $13 mil @ 7 years) and as painful as it may be, with Tavares as our elite #1C, trade Monahan if he can land us a Brock Boeser/Mitch Marner type RW straight up or possibly Mark Stone type + pick.

Gaudreau-Tavares-Boeser
Tkachuk-Jankowski/Bennett-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Lazar

Would be putting faith in one of Janko/Bennett to take that next step but I think Tavares could do a world of good in getting them there and that would be one lethal top 9 while allowing the Defense to remain in tact and under a new coach utilizing better pairings to play to their full potential.

I love Monahan but I’m not entirely sure he’s the #1C we need to get to the next level and with Tavares and our existing Centers, not sure he would be a great fit anymore.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, maybe it's just me, but if by some miracle from the hockey heavens we land John Tavares, giving us likely the best center depth in the entire NHL behind Pittsburgh's elite duo + Brassard, I'll be damned to hell if I'd turn around and trade one of them away for a winger.

Tavares has been dragging so-so wingers into massive pay days for about what...7 or 8 years now? Put Thachuk on his wing on Matty would very likely become a 60-80 point player that makes other teams turn into raving lunatics. Then we already have a duo that's basically a number one line all by themselves in Mony/Johnny...except now they're the number TWO line with easier match ups. Then we already have another duo that is proven to be very effective at providing depth scoring while shutting opponents down quite handily in Backs and Frolik.

Tkachuk - Tavares - ________
Gaudreau - Monahan - ________
_______ - Backlund - Frolik

That's a freaking Cup contending forward group right there peeps. Just fill in the blanks with Ferland, Janko, Bennett, Foo, Mangiapane, etc, etc
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throw 6x3 to Kovalchuk
Trade Stone for a 3rd and cap space
Trade Frolik for a 2nd
Waive Brouwer in TC unless he looks like he's gonna score 20 goals
Bring back Stajan on vet min to be 13th F as a C
Re-Sign Versteeg on vet min to be other 13th F as a W

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Jankowski-Backlund-Foo
Tkachuk-Bennett-Kovalchuk
Mangiapane-Shore-Lazar
Stajan/Versteeg

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak-Brodie
Kylington-Hamonic
Andersson

Smith
Rittich

PP1
Tkachuk (Net-Front)
Gaudreau (Right Circle)
Monahan (Bumper)
Kovalchuk (Left Circle)
Giordano (Point)

PP2
Foo/Ferland/Bennett/Jankowski(Net-Front)
Backlund/Jankowski (Right Circle)
Backlund/Bennett (Bumper)
Foo/Hamilton (Left Circle / Left Point rover)
Brodie/Andersson/Hamilton (Point)

PK1
Giordano-Brodie
Backlund-Shore

PK2
Kulak-Hamonic
Bennett-Jankowski

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my take on the Tavares pipe dream.

- Buy out Brouwer
- Trade Stone for a couple mid picks
- Sign a 13th/14th forward and a 7th Dman in UFA for cheap

1. Tkachuk (925,000) - Tavares (12,000,000) - Bennett (1,950,000)
2. Gaudreau (6,750,000) - Monahan (6,375,000) - Foo (925,000)
3. Jankowski (1,500,000) - Backlund (5,350,000) - Frolik (4,300,000)
4. M Ferland (1,750,000) - N Shore (750,000) - C Lazar (950,000)

Extra - Nolan (850,000) - Hathaway (750,000)

1. Giordano (6,750,000) - Hamilton (5,750,000)
2. TJ Brodie (4,650,400) - Hamonic (3,857,143)
3. Br. Kulak (975,000) - Andersson (755,833)

Extra - Jerabek (850,000)

1. Smith (4,250,000)
2. Rittich / Gillies (975,000)

Buy outs - 2,404,167

Salary Cap - 80,000,000
Total Salary - 76,342,543

Total Cap Space - 3,657,457
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha, maybe it's just me, but if by some miracle from the hockey heavens we land John Tavares, giving us likely the best center depth in the entire NHL behind Pittsburgh's elite duo + Brassard, I'll be damned to hell if I'd turn around and trade one of them away for a winger.

Tavares has been dragging so-so wingers into massive pay days for about what...7 or 8 years now? Put Thachuk on his wing on Matty would very likely become a 60-80 point player that makes other teams turn into raving lunatics. Then we already have a duo that's basically a number one line all by themselves in Mony/Johnny...except now they're the number TWO line with easier match ups. Then we already have another duo that is proven to be very effective at providing depth scoring while shutting opponents down quite handily in Backs and Frolik.

Tkachuk - Tavares - ________
Gaudreau - Monahan - ________
_______ - Backlund - Frolik

That's a freaking Cup contending forward group right there peeps. Just fill in the blanks with Ferland, Janko, Bennett, Foo, Mangiapane, etc, etc
As much as I think my idea is a dreamy option, I have to admit I like your proposal too. Out of curiosity though, if we miraculously landed Tavares and somehow it was an option to get Brady Tkachuk but only if we moved Monahan, would that tempt you?
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT14 View Post
As much as I think my idea is a dreamy option, I have to admit I like your proposal too. Out of curiosity though, if we miraculously landed Tavares and somehow it was an option to get Brady Tkachuk but only if we moved Monahan, would that tempt you?
Wouldn't tempt me at all. I don't think Brady is going to be as good as Matt, and all you'd be doing by moving your really good #2 center is weakening your legit Cup contending roster for what is essentially a mystery box.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In these scenarios we have to sign Tkachuk this summer before he has a chance to play on Tavares’ wing. We won’t be able to afford him after what he’d put up on that line
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hamilton for Nylander

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland

I think injuries and a bad PP hurt this line more than anything

Tkachuk - Backlund - Nylander

Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

I wouldn't be opposed to putting those 9 in a blender. Lots of interesting combinations.

Lazar - Shore - Hathaway

Gio - Brodie

Then just make the bottom 4 work. Hamonic, Stone, Kulak, Andersson, and maybe Valimaki. The pieces are there.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not to be a wet blanket, but is there any point in planning out lines with Tavares included on the team? The chances of him signing here are miniscule.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but is there any point in planning out lines with Tavares included on the team? The chances of him signing here are miniscule.
Everybody knows that. Just have fun. Go ahead and make a roster you hope to see or think will be what happens.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #15
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton to Toronto for Marner

Stone and Bennett to Ottawa for Hoffman and Smith

Troy Brouwer bought out

Gaudreau/Monahan/Marner
Tkachuk/Backlund/Hoffman
Smith/Jankowski/Frolik
Ferland/Shore/Lazar
Versteeg

Gio/Brodie
Valimaki/Hamonic
Kulak/Andersson
Kylington

Smith
Gillies
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #16
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They may as well also include Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby as they have about as good of a chance of being Flames next year as Tavares does.

Also, with regards to O'Reily, people add him and only take a player like Brodie off the roster. What would it take to land him? It would include some of our best prospects. Is it worth giving up or future after the Flames already gave up a ton of future for Hamonic?
Eric Vail is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #17
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Alright then, it's simple. All you gotta do is trade Ferland, Brodie and one of our good D prospects to Ottawa for Mark Stone and draft picks. Then promote Rasmus and hope that a wild card like Foo can hang with the big boys on Line 1.

Gaudreau Monahan Foo
Tkachuk Jankowski Stone
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Dube Shore Lazar
Klimchuk Brouwer

Giordano Hamilton
Hamonic Andersson
Kulak Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Rittich
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #18
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think Dube has a really good shot at that 4th line, making the team out of training camp. He came pretty close last year.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #19
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is my fantasy world:

Buyout Troy Brouwer
TJ Brodie+Sam Bennett for W.Nylander
Frolik+Fox for Simmonds

Coach: Sutter
Gaudreau-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Simmonds
Ferland-Backlund-Foo
Mangiapane-Shore-Lazar
Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Hamonic-Andersson
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Gillies
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #20
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Alright then, it's simple. All you gotta do is trade Ferland, Brodie and one of our good D prospects to Ottawa for Mark Stone
Hate to break it to you but the chances of that happening are way more minsecule than Tavares signing as a free agent.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post: