Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #201
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well, they’re not unrelated topics here. You think anger is misplaced and I pointed out that it kinda isn’t. Your government got voted in by the people of BC. The government is serving the people and delivering program they wanted in majority.

You also seemed somewhat surprised by the sentiment of people in BC getting what they wanted (higher gas prices) but I could be misreading that.
The NDP was not voted in. The NDP/Green coalition was not voted in. The Liberals were a train wreck and still got the majority of votes. Kind of tells you how divided the province is, or how poor the candidates/parties were. The people certainly did not vote Horgan in as a majority, I get why things ended up the way they did but I still think a few Albertans think this is how we voted or what the majority wanted. It isn't.

I get the anger, I really do. I never said I was surprised that there was anger coming from your province, I get it, I just don't agree with the sentiment that every citizen here deserves whatever comes our way in a negative way. Some of the stuff being said about the people in this province just isn't true, imo.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #202
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can not wait for the stupid "FOORDDD" "RAAAMM" written in big block letters on the grill to go out of style on trucks. It's horrible.
Looks fine to me and Ford only does it on the Raptor, which is an awesome truck.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #203
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought in cars that need premium that using non premium was really damaging.
Some cars "recommend" premium, which doesn't really mean all that much. But there are some vehicles that require it. If you don't put premium in those vehicles, you are definitely doing damage to them.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #204
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Some cars "recommend" premium, which doesn't really mean all that much. But there are some vehicles that require it. If you don't put premium in those vehicles, you are definitely doing damage to them.
I run a Turbo charged full 3” pipes from the turbo back and Cobb stage 2 tuned Mitsubishi
If I get knock from low octane gas I can get engine damage so I put 94 octane from either Husky or Petro Can, today it was $1.57/l
My philosophy is you gotta pay to play, however it still hurts.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #205
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically what octane measures is the amount of pressure required before the vapours will explode without a spark. So Diesel is very low octane. So a higher compression engine requires a higher octane gasoline
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #206
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any car made within the last 15 years should have a knock sensor, which should ###### the timing if detonation is occurring. You really shouldn’t be harming the car too much, but definitely losing some performance/fuel economy.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #207
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone purchased a more fuel efficient vehicle recently due to high gas prices?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #208
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
On the plus side, at least you aren't poisoning the rest of us now.
Holy dramatic
Old 05-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Holy dramatic
Well they are filthy vehicles. The whole "clean diesel" thing was a farce that anyone should have seen coming by all the black soot left on white bumpers of these "super good for the environment vehicles. They are also the stinkiest nastiest ones that cause me to choke when they pass me on my bike. So I don't think it's all that dramatic. They quite literally poison the air.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #210
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The people of BC deserve the anger they are getting. They may not have voted for this, but, the truth is...they voted for this...

and are you telling me that there's just nothing that can be done by folks in BC? The anger at BC is warranted because a huge swath of people, primarily on the island admittedly, have been living in some alternate universe blithely unaware or purposefully ignorant of the current realities of society.

That the BC government feels comfortable to violate Canadian law at the expense of all other Canadians in such a dramatic fashion, warrants this type of feeling and backlash.

Do you know how many Albertans I have met that go to BC to visit and get lambasted or treated poorly by people from BC the minute they find out your from Alberta, and how long this has been going on for? The people of BC have turned their noses up at Alberta in particular, but at the rest of Canada for quite some time now. They couldn't have been more selfish over the last decade. Well, now Alberta is facing economic crisis (and actually Canada soon to be too, given foreign investment has collapsed and we're a resource based economy). And you're surprised that there's general anger and resentment almost at a boiling point?

The fact a provincial government is legitimately trying to figure out how to start a trade war over your government's behaviour isn't alarming enough? The fact that not just the government of Alberta, but the governments of Saskatchewan and Canada as well, are so publicly and widely criticizing BC actions should be telling enough. And then you're shocked people are pissed off at BC and the people of BC for not doing enough?

Just because your government wasn't the one you voted for, doesn't mean you're not going to get the spill over effects of anger- misplaced as it may be. There is some serious rage going on here, because of decades of ignorance, incompetence and spitefulness by the people of BC to our province and frankly our country. The people of BC don't give a F about the environment anymore than the rest of people on earth. But what they've done is extremely personal to many Albertans, a straight up shot across the bow at our standard of living and keeping a roof over our heads of our families. That's personal, even if it's on a macro-economic scale. And you're surprised people are angry?

If the people of BC need to protest, go protest the myriad of other things that should be protested. How about even understand the basic tenets of what you're even protesting?

There's a LOT of reasons that there is a LOT of anger in Alberta towards people from BC right now, and it's not like it didn't 'just appear'. This has been growing anger and resentment for over a decade now. Truth is, BC picked this fight, and has been picking it for a long time. And that's on the province, the people in the province, the government... that's on BC. Like come on, give me a break.
Not sure why you are upset with BC, I mean considering albertans voted in the NDP (a majority to boot) you should be happy as isn’t this the NDP’s plan to get rid of fossil fuel usage?
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #211
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
Not sure why you are upset with BC, I mean considering albertans voted in the NDP (a majority to boot) you should be happy as isn’t this the NDP’s plan to get rid of fossil fuel usage?
Not really. The conservative vote was split between the wild rose and conservatives. The ndp won by default.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #212
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Well they are filthy vehicles. The whole "clean diesel" thing was a farce that anyone should have seen coming by all the black soot left on white bumpers of these "super good for the environment vehicles. They are also the stinkiest nastiest ones that cause me to choke when they pass me on my bike. So I don't think it's all that dramatic. They quite literally poison the air.
Quote:
Modern diesel cars emit less pollution generally than cars that run on gasoline, says a new six-nation study published today in Scientific Reports whose groundwork was laid in part by an American chemist now working at Université de Montréal.

And since diesel is so much cleaner than before, environmental regulators should increasingly shift their focus to dirtier gasoline-powered cars and other sources of air pollution, says the UdeM scientist, Patrick Hayes.

"Diesel has a bad reputation because you can see the pollution, but it's actually the invisible pollution that comes from gasoline in cars that's worse," said Hayes, 36, an assistant professor at UdeM.

"The next step should be to focus on gasoline or removing old diesel vehicles from the road. Modern diesel vehicles have adopted new standards and are now very clean, so attention needs to now turn to regulating on-road and off-road gasoline engines more. That's really the next target."

The study, led by researchers in Switzerland and Norway with help from Hayes and colleagues in Italy, France and the U.S., looked at carbonaceous particulate matter (PM) emitted from the tailpipes of cars.
https://phys.org/news/2017-07-diesel-gas.html#jCp
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That, sir, is a load of bull####.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #214
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
^ That, sir, is a load of bull####.
Take it up with the scientists in Montreal then.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #215
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Not really. The conservative vote was split between the wild rose and conservatives. The ndp won by default.
And the NDP didn’t win in BC at all but yet people want to blame all people from bc because of stuff the NDP are doing. So as they say what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #216
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They are also the stinkiest nastiest ones that cause me to choke when they pass me on my bike. So I don't think it's all that dramatic. They quite literally poison the air.
Well, that tells me all I need to know about your "special" interests. Go cramp someone else's style you hippie, I don't crap on you for your bike lanes
Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #217
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Take it up with the scientists in Montreal then.
But wait, his proof is choking on obscene amounts of fumes and soot whenever vehicles drive past him.

I drove a Jeep Ecodiesel for a couple years, and you honestly couldn't even tell it was a diesel when standing behind it running, it was never black, it never smoked even at high load and throttle (trailering 6000lbs through the mountains, you'd think a "dirty diesel" would turn the front of the trailer black, no?), and it didn't smell. The worst smell was the smell of diesel fuel when filling, that was annoying but that was it.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Well, that tells me all I need to know about your "special" interests. Go cramp someone else's style you hippie, I don't crap on you for your bike lanes
Well that's awful nice of you. You seem to be taking this as a personal attack, are you, by chance a diesel engine?

I'm not sure if you have payed much attention to the news lately, but you may have heard some little scandal about diesels, and how cities in Europe are looking to ban them due to their lack of cleanness.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #219
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess VW cheated for nothing.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #220
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time I have seen somebody called a diesel engine as an insult.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: