Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2013/14 Abbotsford Heat Building Blocks

Thought I'd start a summer "Heat" thread, just to keep track of potential Heat players for next season.

Here are all the probable Heat players for next season, that are either under contract (ELC/2-way) or qualified RFA's yet to sign.

Forwards

1. Lance Bouma
2. Paul Byron
3. Max Reinhart
4. Greg Nemisz
5. Carter Bancks
6. Ben Hanowski
7. Ben Street
8. Markus Granlund
9. Michael Ferland
10. Ryan Howse
11. David Eddy
12. Turner Elson

Didn't include Corban Knight or Roman Horak, as I'm fairly certain they'll be on the Flames. A few other guys on the above list will push for NHL jobs as well (Bouma, Byron, Hanowski, Reinhart), but there are a LOT of bodies under contract right now, so they'll really have to shine to make it out of camp.

There is also the Blair Jones issue, and I frankly have no idea where he will end up. I'm actually quite surprised he hasn't been traded yet....but unless the Flames coaching staff are willing to give him a clean slate, he will most likely end up with the Heat or another organization altogether.

Defense

1. Chad Billins
2. Mark Cundari
3. Chris Breen
4. Tyler Wotherspoon
5. John Ramage
6. James Martin

Like some of the forwards, a few of these guys should make a real push out of camp as well.....but again, like the forwards there are a LOT of bodies at this position as well, with SEVEN d-men on one-ways once Brodie signs.

Ryan Culkin may also be signed, and could start his pro career along with Wotherspoon and Ramage.

Goalies

1. Reto Berra
2. Joni Ortio
3. Laurent Brossoit

Berra and Ortio, with over seas pro hockey experience, will likely push hard for NHL jobs out of camp, and who knows...maybe the Flames will carry three goalies at times? Probably not though, as all three of these guys are on ELC's and can be shuttled back and forth at will. One thing is for sure, it should be an interesting year following the goalies in the system at both levels.

Going to be a young team, that's for sure.

Any non NHL contract guys that I am unaware of? Guys like Laing, etc?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drew MacKenzie has an AHL deal for this forthcoming season. He is the only player currently signed to an AHL contract I believe.

I think you are right with Jones that he will end up in the AHL with the Heat. I think Derek Smith could also be pushed down to the AHL level.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Drew MacKenzie has an AHL deal for this forthcoming season. He is the only player currently signed to an AHL contract I believe.

I think you are right with Jones that he will end up in the AHL with the Heat. I think Derek Smith could also be pushed down to the AHL level.

Yeah, funny how much difference a coach can make to a borderline NHLers career. Under Sutter, both Smith and Jones looked like really decent NHL depth guys, but with Hartley their days look numbered.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, funny how much difference a coach can make to a borderline NHLers career. Under Sutter, both Smith and Jones looked like really decent NHL depth guys, but with Hartley their days look numbered.
I think it speaks to depth and attitude as well, not that coaching didn't make a difference because in Sutter's system is was easier to hide the defensive flaws of a player and Hartley's can exploit it (and the opposite is true as well, Sutter's system hid offensive ability, Hartley's exploited it).

With Smith it's a case of pure depth and rebuilding, there has absolutely nothing to suggest Smith isn't a first class person. Conroy said during the scrimmage today of all things are equal they will go with the young guy. IMO Smith is on par with Cundari and Breen, so that philosophy would push him down a couple spots. It seemed as if Hartley had Smith and Sarich on level ground last year, but with Sarich out and SOB in he moves down another spot and of course the recent acquisition of Russell pushes him down even further. So that pushes Smith down to what 9th on the depth chart? Even if he is a hair better than Breen and/or Cundari I would much rather risk losing him on waivers than them.

With Jones, I think it is more attitude than anything. I said it at the time and will say it again. I believe something is amiss with Jones, I believe he did not do everything asked of the coaching staff or there are character issues. Hartley has usually been quite forthright with us and him refusing to speak about why Jones was benched and then demoted IMO speaks volumes. You mix that with being a borderline NHLer and your career is more or less finished. However if it is an attitude problem I would prefer to put him out on loan to a Euro or other AHL team than risk him poisoning the well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess with Blair Jones is that he was asked to be a more physical player and he didn't want to play that way.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
My guess with Blair Jones is that he was asked to be a more physical player and he didn't want to play that way.
I think you are 100% correct.

I remember that in the game just before he was benched that we were behind and Comeau was all over the ice initiating contact, looked like he tried to goat a couple guys into fighting him as well. Next thing we know Jones is on waivers. I think it was asked of their line to start something, whether it be ramp up the physical play like you suggested or try to start a fight and Jones just didn't.

And quite frankly if that is the case I am with Hartley 100%, there is no room on a team for a borderline NHLer to not do anything the coach asks of them.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget Ryan Culkin Roof_Daddy. He's eligible for the Heat next season if they get him under contract.

Could be a half-decent defense next season.

Breen - MacKenzie
Billins - Ramage
Wotherspoon - Culkin

Of course, there's always a chance Breen and Cundari won't be on the Heat, but we'll see.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Don't forget Ryan Culkin Roof_Daddy. He's eligible for the Heat next season if they get him under contract.

Could be a half-decent defense next season.

Breen - MacKenzie
Billins - Ramage
Wotherspoon - Culkin

Of course, there's always a chance Breen and Cundari won't be on the Heat, but we'll see.

Yeap, I made note of Culkin in my last blurb in the Defense section. I hope they decide to sign him this summer, and get him on the Heat essentially one year early.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeap, I made note of Culkin in my last blurb in the Defense section. I hope they decide to sign him this summer, and get him on the Heat essentially one year early.
Whoops. Missed it.

I hope they sign him too. Basically, he and Kulak are the same player. Kulak looked excellent at times, although he made normal rookie mistakes. I think it would be good to have Culkin in Abby next season.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Forwards

1. Lance Bouma
2. Paul Byron
3. Max Reinhart
4. Greg Nemisz
5. Carter Bancks
6. Ben Hanowski
7. Ben Street
8. Markus Granlund
9. Michael Ferland
10. Ryan Howse
11. David Eddy
12. Turner Elson
Forwards:

I could see Josh Jooris getting an AHL deal. Good showing at camp & the kid has potential.
Howse I could see spending a year in the ECHL or being released. Guy just has no work ethic...
Elson may be a real surprise hit in the AHL, and I'm hoping Granlund can be effective. Ferland should be ready to step up.

Byron Street Ferland
Bouma Reinhart Nemisz
Elson Granlund Hanowski
Bancks Jooris Eddy
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post: