Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #81
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would they have had to offer Poirier to qualify him? As a former first rounder I would think it's decently high.

Chance they sign him at a lower value? He's still pretty young and had great raw tools (speed/aggressiveness/heart). Would like to see him have a chance at bouncing back.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #82
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
What would they have had to offer Poirier to qualify him? As a former first rounder I would think it's decently high.

Chance they sign him at a lower value? He's still pretty young and had great raw tools (speed/aggressiveness/heart). Would like to see him have a chance at bouncing back.
They would have had to offer a 5% raise on his salary from last season, or $874,125.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Klimchuk, Lindholm, and Gillies all signed in the last couple of days, the number of outstanding RFAs is down to 6.

4 arbitration hearings still scheduled. The first is Kulak's next Monday. All will be completed before August 1.

Shinkaruk and Hanifin are the remaining RFAs without arbitration. I expect Shinkaruk to sign a deal that is similar (if not identical) to Klimchuk's in the next couple of days.

Hanifin is the question mark. Will they sign a bridge deal for less money, or something longer term for more? If he signs a longer deal, what moves will Treliving make to clear cap space?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #84
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They would have had to offer a 5% raise on his salary from last season, or $874,125.
I really do believe that the Flames have offered him a contract. I would also think his AHL salary is the sticking point at the moment.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #85
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I really do believe that the Flames have offered him a contract. I would also think his AHL salary is the sticking point at the moment.
Hope you are right
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #86
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if they will trade Kulak before arbitration. Perhaps not likely at first glance, but

1) Andersson+stone gives me more confidence than Andersson+Kulak
2) valimaki not far behind
3) can't walk away from arbitration award with Kulak
4) arbitration award could be significant and give the flames cap problems

I'd be curious if the flames could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Also potentially flip Kulak+Stone for a 3rd pairing defenseman that makes a little less.
GullFoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #87
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I wonder if they will trade Kulak before arbitration. Perhaps not likely at first glance, but

I'd be curious if the flames could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Also potentially flip Kulak+Stone for a 3rd pairing defenseman that makes a little less.
Andersson-Stone scares the heck out of me. Two right shooters and neither of them are amazing skaters. Treliving has talked about if a defence man plays their off side they have to be a great skater.

Both Kulak-Andersson and Kulak-Stone are far superior options to Andersson-Stone.

Can’t afford to deal Kulak until Valimaki or Kylington have proven themselves NHL regulars. So probably not until next summer. And he still might be a guy worth hanging onto long term. Don’t see why we’d be looking to move Kulak.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #88
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Move stone before Kulak. Teams are still looking for that 2nd/3rd pairing RD.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #89
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Move stone before Kulak. Teams are still looking for that 2nd/3rd pairing RD.
Agreed, may be hard to move him though with his modified NTC according to Cap Friendly.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #90
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? 100 games in the NHL, 10 points and averages under 13 minutes a night? That's the lowest TOI average out of all the NHL regulars last year.

Statistically his best comparables are players like Prosser and Irwin (although UFA contracts), and they are making under 700K.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #91
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I don't see how Kulak can get a significant arbitration award personally. He has only played one fulltime season in the NHL where he logged #6 minutes (around 13 a night average, rarely on special teams) and only put up 8 points.

He would be lucky to get 1M AAV, especially as DeMelo only got 900K AAV for 2 years from San Jose and he put up more than double the points. Any holdup on his deal IMO would have more to do with length (1 year vs multi-year) as if I am Kulak, I want 2 years at NHL money so if I am skipped by Valimaki/Andersson/Kylington, I get paid guaranteed, rather than trying to find a fit a year from now
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #92
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to be in the minority a bit when it comes to Kulak but I barely see him as a serviceable extra defenseman. I believe the hold up is the one-way or two-way contract.

The team already has 6 one-way contracts (once Hanifin is signed). If Andersson or Valimaki make the team it could easily be at the expense of Kulak.

Because of the poor depth last year, Kulak played nearly every game and that will help in his arbitration case in asking for a one-way, but I just don't see anyway he gets anything much more than league minimum if that's the case. And with the player-elected salary arbitration, it's the Flames who get to decide term.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #93
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kulak on waivers.
DionTheDman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #94
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kulak on waivers. That's something you don't see every day for a player headed to arbitration.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Carroll signs with the ECHL Utah Grizzlies:
https://twitter.com/UtahGrizz/status...11823312273408
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote