Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
FedEx International Economy (2 business days) - $29.31 USD
FedEx International Priority (1 business day) - $33.74 USD
- Based on Ontario postal code.

Total would come out to $50.78 USD + exchange rate.
Oh sure, shipping is killer but you would pay it on the original $199 if you really wanted one. I grabbed one a few other things that still came out to sub $100 with the shipping so i was still pretty happy. I'm sure the camera is useless but worth a try.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I use Android Auto, and used the google maps to navigate, but I downloaded Waze the other day to try it out, and its just flat out better. Because it depends on its users, I just get more information then I did on google maps. The location of photo radar, and cameras, cheaper gas prices, it just seems to be a whole lot better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #83
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So I use Android Auto, and used the google maps to navigate, but I downloaded Waze the other day to try it out, and its just flat out better. Because it depends on its users, I just get more information then I did on google maps. The location of photo radar, and cameras, cheaper gas prices, it just seems to be a whole lot better.
I find myself going back and forth a lot. I love the crowd-sourced information of Waze and how aggressive it is with re-routing around traffic, but not including lane information or ETA of alternative routes is a bummer. I know taking Deerfoot is one minute quicker, but I prefer to go down to Barlow because it's less stress and a smaller chance of dying.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #84
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I downloaded Waze the other day to try it out, and its just flat out better.
Sometimes it takes you on a ridiculous number of turns just to shave 2 min off your route. I don't mind that though.

Also the spotify integration is amazeballs.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #85
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really love 2 things right now: 1 is the new brand galaxy S9 I got, holy crap talk about gorgeous

the 2nd is custom icons and nova to install them. I'm using an icon pack right now named "oreo 8" and its just delightful. I also really like whiticons but oreo is really really "pretty".

Any suggestions on people who using custom themes? I prefer a whitebackground but would like to see more edge display and live wallpaper use. as an example I really really like the samsung infinity ASD/LS/WP.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #86
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I traded my original Pixel in this weekend for a Galaxy S9+, and yeah...that display is incredible. I love this phone so far. The only thing that bugs me even a little bit is that I keep hitting the Bixby on the left side by accident. I feel that'll get better as I get used to the phone though.

The themes are great. I'm using one called Wave right now. It's stunning. Are the live wallpapers listed with the themes, or do you have to download a separate app?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #87
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Essential Phone just updated to Android P.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #88
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I flashed the images a couple of days ago, it's ok but far from great. Don't care for the UI at all especially the recents page. The new nav bar/gestures are kind of lame as well. Could have left it the way it was for all that changed.

Overall I really like the Essential phone.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #89
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can turn off the new gestures on Android P, if you want. Well, I can on my Pixel anyway. Settings, System, Gestures.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #90
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
You can turn off the new gestures on Android P, if you want. Well, I can on my Pixel anyway. Settings, System, Gestures.
Thanks for that, never looked.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With Android auto and spotify is there anyway to listen to the podcasts. I've followed some podcasts but I can't seem to find them when I'm linked to Auto.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #92
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone ordering the new Galaxy Note9? (yes, it's spelled that way with no space)

I've ordered both the 128GB Blue and 512GB Black.

Here is the Note9 "Knowing Better" intro promo:
The voice at 1:09 is Jason from Painfully Honest Tech.
The guy at 1:18 (hitting the screen) is CJ from CJKnowsTech.
Both buddies of mine. Good to see Samsung taking notice of small creators!

And here is the full promo:

My initial impressions are WOW!

However, if you're on a Note8 this isn't worth the upgrade. It's more of a refinement of the Note8.

I would say if you have an older Note or Galaxy device then this is worth looking at.

If you're price sensitive then look at the Note8. Prices are already being slashed and it's a GREAT device.

Can't wait to get mine!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #93
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody ever had a problem where the stock messaging system only sends group texts individually, regardless of settings? I've tried a few other messaging apps (I've been using Textra for a while now) with the same result.

Using WhatsApp or Hangouts doesn't have this issue, but anything revolving around SMS does.... unfortunately Hangouts dropped SMS support last year.

I'm using an LG G5 on Android 7.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #94
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Anyone ordering the new Galaxy Note9? (yes, it's spelled that way with no space)

I've ordered both the 128GB Blue and 512GB Black.

Here is the Note9 "Knowing Better" intro promo:
The voice at 1:09 is Jason from Painfully Honest Tech.
The guy at 1:18 (hitting the screen) is CJ from CJKnowsTech.
Both buddies of mine. Good to see Samsung taking notice of small creators!

And here is the full promo:

My initial impressions are WOW!

However, if you're on a Note8 this isn't worth the upgrade. It's more of a refinement of the Note8.

I would say if you have an older Note or Galaxy device then this is worth looking at.

If you're price sensitive then look at the Note8. Prices are already being slashed and it's a GREAT device.

Can't wait to get mine!
Nope, not giving Samsung $1300 for this phone and I don't do contracts.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #95
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, I'm passing, too. The S9 and Note9 are total let downs this year. Hoping the S10 is awesome as I'm trying to hold out for that.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #96
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Anybody ever had a problem where the stock messaging system only sends group texts individually, regardless of settings? I've tried a few other messaging apps (I've been using Textra for a while now) with the same result.

Using WhatsApp or Hangouts doesn't have this issue, but anything revolving around SMS does.... unfortunately Hangouts dropped SMS support last year.

I'm using an LG G5 on Android 7.
Download the Messages texting app from Google, that might solve the problem? There is a specific option to reply to all participants in group mms.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #97
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently got the S9+, the thing is bigger than my dick. Great phone though. The camera is amazing compared to my S6.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #98
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
I recently got the S9+, the thing is bigger than my dick. Great phone though. The camera is amazing compared to my S6.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #99
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I just got the latest Android update (Pie), and holy hell I wish Google would just leave the UI alone. Every time they update something, I spend days trying to revert or remove parts all together. They need to put in options to switch things around or something. This updates hit list, in 5 minutes of use:
  • Clock in the notifications panel to left hand instead of right hand side (probably bugs me more than it should)
  • Weather on lock screen (I thought I just disabled all of those damned things)
  • Horizontal scrolling app switcher (ugh)
  • Volume control is a pain in the ass to use (used to be an overlay, now it goes to a new window if you want to change volumes that aren't the current one, which I frequently do)
  • Some of the button/icon colour changes (notification overlay thingy) are worse to look at
  • Seems a bit laggy switching apps
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #100
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
So I just got the latest Android update (Pie), and holy hell I wish Google would just leave the UI alone. Every time they update something, I spend days trying to revert or remove parts all together. They need to put in options to switch things around or something. This updates hit list, in 5 minutes of use:
  • Clock in the notifications panel to left hand instead of right hand side (probably bugs me more than it should)
  • Weather on lock screen (I thought I just disabled all of those damned things)
  • Horizontal scrolling app switcher (ugh)
  • Volume control is a pain in the ass to use (used to be an overlay, now it goes to a new window if you want to change volumes that aren't the current one, which I frequently do)
  • Some of the button/icon colour changes (notification overlay thingy) are worse to look at
  • Seems a bit laggy switching apps
I found a reboot after the update was 100% finished (it does some more stuff after you restart the phone the first time) helped with the general feeling of lag in the UI after updating to Pie. For my personal usage cases after a week of using Pie, I love the volume bar change (having to guess when I could change app volume vs system volume sucked), I hate the app switcher change, and I've already gotten used to the Clock position change. I found I was unlocking my Pixel 2 to see the temperature on the home screen a lot anyways, so I welcome the addition of the weather on the lock screen.

My "shouldn't bother me but it does" gripe is how notifications (ie. if I get a text message and it shows me the text in a preview box) "float" near the top of the screen but not against the top of the screen. I assume this is also because they changed the UI to account for phones with notches at the top. I don't like it because it feels weird and more intrusive than before to me.

I'm glad it's easy to turn off the new bottom bar/pill thing and go back to the standard Back/Home/App Switcher buttons.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote