Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
VFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Flames How to take sports less seriously???

Been a Flames fan since 2007 (maybe underappreciated the Iginla years). Then really got into watching almost every game (starting from the time Flames made the 2015 playoffs with Gaudreau and Monahan).
I think it was around 2017-18 that I may have committed the worse mistake as a sports fan: becoming too attached to them.
Every win was a relief. But every loss made me spiral into meltdowns where I impulsively go onto Capfriendly Armchair GM and come up with stupid trades and buyouts to make me feel better as a person (even though I'm [still] not the biggest fan of Brad Treliving.)
I though it was easy to switch teams to cheer for during this span of sports fandom, but psychologically I couldn't convince myself to actually commit to switching sports teams (only times I cheer for different teams was mostly out of not wanting a team I hate to win the Stanley Cup (ex: last year's Stanley Cup Final, I wanted Colorado to win because I hate to see Tampa Bay win again and trigger more horrible memories of 2004).
Right now at this point, I'm sort of at a crisis as a sports fans. Most of the teams I cheer for now are either bad or mediocre, what was once a source of escape from life (ie. part time jobs and school) is now becoming less enjoyable. The only hobbies I can think of that could potentially distract me from sports are video games and playing drums, yet I feel like I get dragged back down into sports out of some sort of delusion that there is hope for tangible success (99% of the time that never happens). I guess I could go into more detail about how this particular Flames season has somehow been more infuriating than previous bad seasons I've watched, but this post is getting too long and depressing (also I question almost every day about whether or not the organization really cares about being competent; forget about winning and competing, I have to think about whether or not they have dignity. Never forget the arena deal that never was, etc.)
Could someone indulge me, pretend to be a counsellor, and suggest ways I could try to take sports less seriously (ie. get less attached to teams I actively cheer for)? thank you.
VFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFlames View Post
Been a Flames fan since 2007 (maybe underappreciated the Iginla years). Then really got into watching almost every game (starting from the time Flames made the 2015 playoffs with Gaudreau and Monahan).
I think it was around 2017-18 that I may have committed the worse mistake as a sports fan: becoming too attached to them.
Every win was a relief. But every loss made me spiral into meltdowns where I impulsively go onto Capfriendly Armchair GM and come up with stupid trades and buyouts to make me feel better as a person (even though I'm [still] not the biggest fan of Brad Treliving.)
I though it was easy to switch teams to cheer for during this span of sports fandom, but psychologically I couldn't convince myself to actually commit to switching sports teams (only times I cheer for different teams was mostly out of not wanting a team I hate to win the Stanley Cup (ex: last year's Stanley Cup Final, I wanted Colorado to win because I hate to see Tampa Bay win again and trigger more horrible memories of 2004).
Right now at this point, I'm sort of at a crisis as a sports fans. Most of the teams I cheer for now are either bad or mediocre, what was once a source of escape from life (ie. part time jobs and school) is now becoming less enjoyable. The only hobbies I can think of that could potentially distract me from sports are video games and playing drums, yet I feel like I get dragged back down into sports out of some sort of delusion that there is hope for tangible success (99% of the time that never happens). I guess I could go into more detail about how this particular Flames season has somehow been more infuriating than previous bad seasons I've watched, but this post is getting too long and depressing (also I question almost every day about whether or not the organization really cares about being competent; forget about winning and competing, I have to think about whether or not they have dignity. Never forget the arena deal that never was, etc.)
Could someone indulge me, pretend to be a counsellor, and suggest ways I could try to take sports less seriously (ie. get less attached to teams I actively cheer for)? thank you.
I think you answered your own question...in a 32 team league your team almost certainly won't win the championship, don't make that the be all end all. Enjoy the wins and don't take the losses too hard. Its just a game afterall.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #3
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could do what I do lately and don't watch the games live, live your normal life and if the Flames show up, go back and watch the game and enjoy it in it's entirety lol
Old 01-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #4
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a tough one too. I know for me my (hyper) fixation on Sports, or well anything, can be a result of distracting myself from something I'm not happy with or something I'm avoiding in the other spheres of life. There are other self soothing techniques that you can try that work for you. It sounds kinda hookey but there were times when everything that happened to the Flames was life and death. But repeating and affirming to myself that it's for entertainment, turning off a bad game I wasn't enjoying, and affirming for myself that ultimately my tomorrow was impacted my tomorrow.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #5
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Life is short. If it ain't making you happy why do it? So many posters seem absolutely miserable lately and I don't get why they keep watching if it makes them so unhappy, but that's just me.

I couldn't stand the Gulutzan era so I stopped watching and following the Flames. Once he was gone I came back and now enjoy the games win or lose. If I start getting annoyed at things again I will tune out as I don't see the point in devoting multiple hours per week into something that doesn't bring me happiness.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

What kind of exercise or physical activity do you do? Going for a walk in nature, going for a chill bike ride, or hitting the gym for an hour can do wonders for your mental state. You won't linger on the things bothering you as much when you get active. You'll feel better afterwards and that should help you keep perspective.

You can't actively control what happens in sports, so the distance and perspective helps. It's not the answer for everyone, but I know it helps me.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch this year's Calgary Flames. ;-)
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #8
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sports for me is solely entertainment when your married with a family there are bigger issues to deal with. When I was a kid it was different luckily that's when Flames played in a 21 team league, players played wherever they could USA or Canada, and the Flames were a great team.

If the Flames win its fun if they lose I don't lose sleep over it.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a hardcore sports fan is a never ending love/hate relationship. It's even worse when you get attached to teams that rarely ever win anything. I am envious of fans of teams that have won a lot of championship success but I've never, ever been tempted to stop cheering for my teams even though I fully realize that the Flames and Raiders will probably never win another championship in my lifetime. Still if I could go back to my first decade of existence I still wouldn't change a thing in regards to the teams I chose.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at it from a different perspective.

In European sports or US college football, there is a sense of belonging to a club or association. In many instances, you literally are part of the club with a membership and voting rights. The club and the supporters have a mutual understanding that they need each other.

In North American pro sports* you are just a paying customer. The team is just a franchise of the NHL umbrella. Their mandate is to maximize revenue, and that's it. They don't give a #### about you, just extracting as many dollars as they can from you.

I cheer for the Flames and I am a pretty big fan, but I don't live and die by them. I'm pretty annoyed they have basically sucked since 1995, but I'm not losing sleep over it either.

One peice of advice that is controversial: sports gambling can make it fun again despite the performance of your team. But obviously many problems can arise from gambling too.

*notable exception: Green Bay Packers.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:40 AM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFlames View Post
Wouldn't recommend this as an attack plan, but my cancer scare helped me out a lot with not sweating the small stuff in life!

But yeah don't go there.

Ever since I enjoy the game, enjoy the seasons, hope for the best and move on when the actual results come in (win or lose)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #12
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

To me its about just enjoying the sport and not being obsessed with the team.

I grew up in rural Illinois in the 80s and 90s. So I have been a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan. They are consistently awful. For most of my life they had no real chance at a championship. Heck, the Cubs historically have a hard time putting together consecutive winning seasons. They did finally get a world series, but went almost immediately back to mediocrity. I bring them up because they are one of the few teams with less long term success than you guys have seen the last few decades.

So for me, being a fan of a team like that just means lowered expectations. I watch games to enjoy baseball. I watch games to see how young players are doing. If they have success it is surprising and exciting, but you have to assume it will end pretty quick. Instead of expecting a win, you just want to see a competitive and entertaining game.

You have to remember, you can't control the outcome of sports, so if you get over invested emotionally, it will crush you unless your team is consistently amazing.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Wouldn't recommend this as an attack plan, but my cancer scare helped me out a lot with not sweating the small stuff in life!

But yeah don't go there.

Ever since I enjoy the game, enjoy the seasons, hope for the best and move on when the actual results come in (win or lose)
I was just going to say - not a recommended plan, but have something really crappy happen in your life. It puts things in perspective.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #14
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I had a heart attack in Sept at 39 years old.. Let me tell you, Sports DO NOT matter..

Just another hobby to hopefully fill your days with a lot of joy or pain depending on the Team/s you follow.

More hobbies you can have to fill each day with joy the better, so consider sports as just being ONE of them.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:56 AM   #15
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you want to be a cynic (which works for me) just remember the Flames and all other teams are businesses. I don't have a favorite movie company, sports teams are no different. Not other businesses have brand loyalty like sports teams.
When I became older than the kids/men playing the game it started to feel weird being that tied to a team.
That being said my fantasy team keeps me somewhat interested in all teams
Old 01-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #16
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I definitely watch less and take things less seriously than in the past where a loss would put me in a foul mood for the rest of the night. Not super healthy.

This year my TV watching strategy starts with "check Twitter" to see how the team is playing. Helped me avoid the frustration of the Nashville game, for instance!
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #17
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have kids, worked for me.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 12:13 PM   #18
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sports are supposed to be fun. Getting worked up over losses isn't fun. If the team isn't playing well I just turn the game off or keep it on in the background and stop making it my focus. Losses don't bother me much if I don't spend 3 hours of my life watching it unfold. When I was younger I'd watch all 60 minutes of every game, do or die. I'm too old for that now. I don't need to watch all 60 minutes of all 82 games anymore.

If I go to a game live I'll still stay to the bitter end, but as I get older I find it easier to just appreciate the sport. I have more respect for the Flames opponents. If the Flames are losing I still enjoy just watching live hockey at the highest level.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:37 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

you really need to realize that no mater what you do, you have no impact on the outcome of the game itself. you could wear your lucky underwear, sit in your favourite chair or take the same route to work.

none of it will have an impact on whether or not Hubes scores, or if Markstrom can get thru the first 10 minutes without giving one up

the only time i really want to see the flames play well, is when i have spent money to go to the dome and watch the team play. i get really annoyed if i show up and they don't - but i then try to view it as a evening out

i should also note that as i get older, i have more stuff to pre-occupy my mind and time versus just focusing on sports like i did during my 20 to 32 age range.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #20
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, none of the players, teams, owners or coaches care one lick about you. I've often thought that if I played pro sports there would be a sort of cringe factor of super fans. Grown adults watching a game meant to be played for enjoyment and having it affect the fan's mental health.

Helps with putting it in perspective.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary flames , distraction , enjoyment , fan , losing faith