Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Seting up a wireless hotspot.

So I've decided to create a wireless hotspot through my PC using W7 and I can't seem to get it to broadcast the internet.

Below are the steps used.

I have wired coming into my PC from the modem and a usb wireless dongle (Netgear WNDA3100) for the broadcast. I previously used the dongle to access the internet before connecting it to the modem directly.

I opened the Command Prompt (type in "cmd" and click "Enter")

Once CMD is open type in the following command:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Hotspot key=Password keyUsage=persistent

Where "Hotspot" is the SSID (the name of your connection) and "Password" is the password locking the connection.

Once this is done, you have enabled the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter!

Then Navigate to "Network Connections" (From the Network and Sharing Center click on the "Change Adapter Settings" link in the top left hand corner. Enable the virtual adapter, if it is not already enabled, by right clicking on the adapter and pressing enable. Once you have internet connectivity via the Ethernet cable and the virtual adapter is enabled, right click on the "Local Area Connection" button and click "Properties". Once the dialogue box pops up, click on the "Sharing" tab. From here click the check box labeled "Allow other Network Users to connect through this Computer's Internet Connection". Click on the Drop down box "Home networking connection" labeled "Select a private network connection" and select the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter which should be labeled "Wireless Network Connection 2". Click "OK" and the "Local Area Connection" button should now say "Shared".

Open a new CMD window ("Windows Key" + "R") and type in the following command:

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

CMD should confirm by saying "The hosted network started."

If you navigate back to the "Network Connections" window, you will notice the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter should now have your SSID listed with full reception!

Any suggestions?
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote