Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #1301
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Ended up pre-ordering the willow park advent calendar. Picked it up today, but haven’t opened it yet. Will be interesting to see what they have done, and IF it justifies the cost
Curious if that one ended up being a bunch of local staples (that you can otherwise get year round) or some more limited run seasonals. If the latter, then awesome.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 12-20-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #1302
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Wine and Beyond has a sale on right now for Rogue Dead Guy Ale, $15 for 4 tall boys. For a beer that's usually stupid expensive I took the opportunity to stock up. There's sales on a bunch of other stuff too in case anyone wants to head over there
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #1303
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Okay, we need to have a talk about this, because I need to keep adding to the list. The Rogue chocolate stout - or better yet, the Rogue double chocolate stout - is a pretty safe bet in this area, as is the Philips Longboat Chcoolate Porter.

For somewhat fruity options, Muskoka Winter Beard chocolate cranberry stout is a good option. I like the Whistler Dunkel (which is effectively a Terry's Chocolate Orange in beer form) but it's polarizing because it's quite sweet, and I honestly have to be in the right mood for it myself.

Possibly my favourite in this vein was the Flying Monkeys chocolate manifesto. I haven't seen it in Calgary in years, though you can order it on the website if you're willing to pay rather a lot in shipping.

I'd like to hear about others, though, so, shoot.
I’ve got a fridge full of various stouts and porters right now. I’ll keep you updated if I find one I really like!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #1304
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dandy Brewing has a porter ("My Own Harvest") that's made with sweet potato, and it's surprisingly good. Their Dead Moon Night imperial stout is out now, too. Good stuff and it'll mess you up.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #1305
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Curious if that one ended up being a bunch of local staples (that you can otherwise get year round) or some more limited run seasonals. If the latter, then awesome.
I’ll make a list at the end. It’s basically a collection of brewmaster’s favorite beers. So the brewmasters from local breweries nominated their favorite beers

So far had
Beer # 1 - Retrospectrum - Cabin Brewing
Beer # 2 - Triphammer Robust Hammer - Blindman Brewing
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #1306
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Wine and Beyond has a sale on right now for Rogue Dead Guy Ale, $15 for 4 tall boys. For a beer that's usually stupid expensive I took the opportunity to stock up. There's sales on a bunch of other stuff too in case anyone wants to head over there

That's one of my favorite beers! Thanks for the heads up
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #1307
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
That's one of my favorite beers! Thanks for the heads up
I miss when National had it on tap, and was a part of their happy hour special. There was a lot of drinking going on between 4-6pm when I used to work on 10th ave
Old 12-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #1308
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I miss when National had it on tap, and was a part of their happy hour special. There was a lot of drinking going on between 4-6pm when I used to work on 10th ave

Holy crap I've never even had it on tap! I used to drink it at Bottlescrews Bills all the time (just down the street!) and I always buy a bunch of Rogue brews in the states when I visit my parents in Cali every year too
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #1309
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's good advice, I shall give them a shot. I was specifically talking about chocolate beers and variations on chocolate beers, though - if we're talking stouts and porters generally this becomes a pretty ungainly conversation, just too many to go through (though I am currently enjoying an 88 Brewing Vietnamese Coffee Stout which has a really nice silky texture to it, for what that's worth).
Just cracked the Oatmeal Stout from Russell Brewing out of Surrey. Fantastic. I’ll be buying again.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:22 AM   #1310
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Collective Arts any good? Just picked up a IIPA an Adelaide brewery did in collaboration with them and noticed they are one of the few Canadian beers available in Australia.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #1311
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Is Collective Arts any good? Just picked up a IIPA an Adelaide brewery did in collaboration with them and noticed they are one of the few Canadian beers available in Australia.
Yes, it's been a while since I had them. They're from Ottawa. I feel like Ransack the Universe is the one I really like by them.

Their cans are all done by local artists which is really cool.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #1312
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I miss that happy hour as well. Deschutes Mirror Pond was also a great deal at $5 a sleeve…
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #1313
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Their Stranger Than Fiction porter is one of my favorites. Saint of Circumstance blonde ale is also excellent
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #1314
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anyone tried those Slushie Sour beers from Outcast Brewing?

I have seen them on Instagram and I am curious if they are any good.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #1315
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for craft beer makers or people generally smarter than me. Is there anything materially different in the cans they use for craft beers as opposed to your mass produced cans? I find the craft beer cans where it is a generic tin can with some sort of graphic wrap warms up way faster than other ones. I can't decide if it is an actual thing, or a figment of my imagination because the wrap makes the can feel warmer.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #1316
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Question for craft beer makers or people generally smarter than me. Is there anything materially different in the cans they use for craft beers as opposed to your mass produced cans? I find the craft beer cans where it is a generic tin can with some sort of graphic wrap warms up way faster than other ones. I can't decide if it is an actual thing, or a figment of my imagination because the wrap makes the can feel warmer.
I don't know the actual answer. I do find that craft beer cans seem thinner than mass produced macro-brewery cans.

That said, I don't think I've ever drank a craft beer directly from a can. This is going to make me sound like a hipster snob, but I always pour into a glass. I prefer to drink from a mug, and it's how the beer is supposed to be consumed.

So I can't comment on how quickly it warms in the cans as they're always poured into a glass. But yes, I think the can is indeed thinner.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 03:45 AM   #1317
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Yes, it's been a while since I had them. They're from Ottawa. I feel like Ransack the Universe is the one I really like by them.

Not sure if they had any input on their collaboration can art but it's on point. Good beer too. Did not drink like 8.2%.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #1318
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

As a proud former resident of the Hammer, I have to point out that Collective Arts is in Hamilton. Stopped in a couple of summers ago, pretty big operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Has anyone tried those Slushie Sour beers from Outcast Brewing?

I have seen them on Instagram and I am curious if they are any good.
They are super fruity and not very beery. The fruit is all real and the combos are well balanced. I am a huge Outcast fan (Patrick and Krysten are excellent people) but I can usually only do one before I switch to something else. Had the strawberry cream one yesterday and my wife had the pineapple lime one. The pineapple one was super tasty. No carbonation whatsoever and the fruit isn't fermented so they have to be refrigerated, which is why they only really sell them at the brewery and a few select places.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #1319
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to go to Lethbridge a few weekends ago and I discovered Theoretical Brewing. It's worth seeking out, particularly the Irish ale.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #1320
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know the actual answer. I do find that craft beer cans seem thinner than mass produced macro-brewery cans.

That said, I don't think I've ever drank a craft beer directly from a can. This is going to make me sound like a hipster snob, but I always pour into a glass. I prefer to drink from a mug, and it's how the beer is supposed to be consumed.

So I can't comment on how quickly it warms in the cans as they're always poured into a glass. But yes, I think the can is indeed thinner.
The makers of the OG hazy IPA in a can challenge your hipster snop credentials (I prefer a glass too though)
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty