Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #41
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was thinking maybe the x60 is more future proof being Wifi 6 and AX3000 vs AC1200 for the others.

I was originally looking at the Deco m9 but wonder if the extra $70 for the x60 is worth it.

I definitely want wired backhaul as I'm already setup for it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I was thinking maybe the x60 is more future proof being Wifi 6 and AX3000 vs AC1200 for the others.

I was originally looking at the Deco m9 but wonder if the extra $70 for the x60 is worth it.

I definitely want wired backhaul as I'm already setup for it.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-WiFi-A...cs&sr=1-5&th=1

The M4 has ethernet backhaul and is $180 for 3 vs $355 for the wifi 6 M9 units. I guess to a certain extent, paying extra to future proof does make sense, but I feel like if you spend $180 now and $180 in 2 years, you'd have units superior to the M9 units produced today due to additional tweaks and whatnot.

Knowing what I know now, I'd go with the M4, unless there was some specific reason that would make it difficult to swap out the units at a later date. But I'd be a little bit of a hypocrite for suggesting that because I spent $430 on two Ubiquiti routers a year and a half ago and I'd go with these again in a heart beat due to the extras in the Ubiquiti vs the Deco I installed at my parents place.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-22-2020 at 02:54 PM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #43
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-WiFi-A...cs&sr=1-5&th=1

The M4 has ethernet backhaul and is $180 for 3 vs $355 for the wifi 6 M9 units. I guess to a certain extent, paying extra to future proof does make sense, but I feel like if you spend $180 now and $180 in 2 years, you'd have units superior to the M9 units produced today due to additional tweaks and whatnot.

Knowing what I know now, I'd go with the M4, unless there was some specific reason that would make it difficult to swap out the units at a later date. But I'd be a little bit of a hypocrite for suggesting that because I spent $430 on two Ubiquiti routers a year and a half ago and I'd go with these again in a heart beat due to the extras in the Ubiquiti vs the Deco I installed at my parents place.
You make some good points and I do like the idea of spending less. At this point the Android boxes are already wired and our kids are small so there isn't a lot of wifi devices eating up bandwidth. I'm mostly just sick of poor wifi coverage with Shaw's garbage modem and have no interest in their $10/month pods.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #44
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
You make some good points and I do like the idea of spending less. At this point the Android boxes are already wired and our kids are small so there isn't a lot of wifi devices eating up bandwidth. I'm mostly just sick of poor wifi coverage with Shaw's garbage modem and have no interest in their $10/month pods.
The more important thing for coverage in your situation will likely be unimpeded access/distance to each new node (walls, floors etc.) which is what the Shaw pods are addressing. But for $10 a month, you're better off going with a set of 3 M4 for $180, even more so if you can wire back haul. More nodes and 18 months later, you're way ahead. You likely would never flex the extra "future proof" stuff for a while anyways and 2 years later, there might be additional features, hardware revisions to be even faster, more nodes etc. for the same $180.

Basically, if your current performance directly around the modem/router is good, all you need are nodes around the house to amplify the signal to maintain consistent performance wherever you go in your home. Most people really don't need more than that which is why the Deco worked great for my parents at their place. They don't need the extra features and just needed a set it and forget it solution.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #45
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If anybody is interested, I saw the Netgear Orbi RBK50 at Walmart in Sage Hill for $250, normally it’s around $500.

I picked it up for that price a month ago and it’s been great.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
If anybody is interested, I saw the Netgear Orbi RBK50 at Walmart in Sage Hill for $250, normally it’s around $500.

I picked it up for that price a month ago and it’s been great.
If you don't buy this and you need a wifi, you're ####ing up
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #47
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had that model of Orbi and I liked it. I have an eero now and like it better, but I think I needed more than 2 nodes. That is a good price tho if you need one now.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I called them and they don't have it. They have the RBK23 for 250, which is normally 400, so still a pretty good deal.

I'm looking into this now as I just switched from a 30mbps cable plan to Shaw 150, which was a long overdue upgrade. The modem / wifi router combo they packaged with it is decent (gets as much as 175 / 15 in close proximity), and combined with my old Asus RT-N66U router and a cheap wifi extender gets about 40 up / 12 down in the weakest area of my house. But I would be interested in just getting 100+ speeds everywhere if that's a simple thing to accomplish these days.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #49
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I called them and they don't have it. They have the RBK23 for 250, which is normally 400, so still a pretty good deal.

I'm looking into this now as I just switched from a 30mbps cable plan to Shaw 150, which was a long overdue upgrade. The modem / wifi router combo they packaged with it is decent (gets as much as 175 / 15 in close proximity), and combined with my old Asus RT-N66U router and a cheap wifi extender gets about 40 up / 12 down in the weakest area of my house. But I would be interested in just getting 100+ speeds everywhere if that's a simple thing to accomplish these days.
The RBK23 was there too, so they must have sold the RBK50. The Orbi is super easy to setup, but it was a pain in the ass to update the firmware. It kept failing auto update until I figured out I had to get it to a minimum version before that would work. The web interface is ok, but I much preferred Merlin on my old Asus routers.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #50
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got the TP-Link Deco AC1300 Mesh WiFi system last week.

Setup was easy. Haven't fully tested it out yet. That said, my wife was complaining her video calls were having an issue though.

Cheap mesh system, I'll provide input here as to how it goes.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #51
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this thread to see what the latest recommendations are. Got the basement finished and the wifi is spotty at time.

Has anyone used the google mesh? We are balls deep with google and nest audio/chromecast so if it is a good option I may as well give google access to all my data...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #52
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Bumping this thread to see what the latest recommendations are. Got the basement finished and the wifi is spotty at time.

Has anyone used the google mesh? We are balls deep with google and nest audio/chromecast so if it is a good option I may as well give google access to all my data...
I use Nest Wi-Fi (I'm 99.9% sure that it replaced Google Mesh). I love it. I bought the three-pack and it works awesome, solving all of our spotty wi-fi issues. It's also great for limiting access to wi-fi on certain devices, which we use to control our kids' screen time. Finally, each mesh thing doubles as a Google Home and you can never have too many of those. I always play music on "all speakers" and we use the announcement/broadcast feature allllll the time.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #53
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Eero and love it. Dont lose signal anywhere!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #54
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
Both suggestions are top notch for consumer grade. Nest wifi is simple with good coverage and above average speed. Eero is about as simple as it comes and has great range just a bit less speed then the nest. I set my parent up with Eero Pros and I have not had to help them once in 2 years so for me that’s a win. I know several people with nest who are happy and have only had a few hiccups here and there. Eero has wifi 6 options and as far as I know Nest does not yet.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #55
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Back in spring, I picked up a 3 pack of TP Link Deco units from Memory express. I believe the AX1800 ones.

They have worked great so far. I have one down in the basement where the internet connection is, one up in the living room at the front of the house, and one by the back of the house.

I get wifi out in my garage now, which I couldn't get before, and had basically zero issues with my internet dropping out, which I got a bunch before.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:12 AM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

just put in Asus ZenWifi - made a huge difference
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #57
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm still happy with my Netgear Orbi RBK50, although with the main router and satellite, I loose connectivity on my deck and on the driveway. It might be due to placement, as the main router is in my basement office and the 2nd one is in the bonus room. I've ordered another satellite and will put that on the main floor. I think with mesh systems you need a satellite for each floor.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #58
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^
Both suggestions are top notch for consumer grade. Nest wifi is simple with good coverage and above average speed. Eero is about as simple as it comes and has great range just a bit less speed then the nest. I set my parent up with Eero Pros and I have not had to help them once in 2 years so for me that’s a win. I know several people with nest who are happy and have only had a few hiccups here and there. Eero has wifi 6 options and as far as I know Nest does not yet.
I don’t think the new eero pro 6 is as good as the old eero pro 5.

The issue is amazon does’t really discount the 5. Its still super expensive. I got mine years ago for well under $500 and it still is awesome and all I need.

If not in a rush they do go on sale but it rare. If you see it, grab one. The eero 5 has been excellent for me for a long time. Its exactly as advertised no thinking about wifi.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #59
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with the D-link AX1800 or the AC1900 that is in Costco?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #60
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the D-link AX1800 or the AC1900 that is in Costco?
The AC 1900 kept dropping out for me.
Brought it back the next day. Ended up going with the Deco X60 instead. Haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Last edited by keratosis; 09-25-2021 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Oops. Dam fat fingers.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote