Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #1281
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt this happens. Hall has been stating that he wants to play for a winner a lot recently. If the flames trade their best player in order to get Hall, that doesn't really set the flames up as a sure-fire contender.

If the flames do trade Gaudreau, I would hope it's in the hopes of re-tooling and getting back a large package of prospects and picks not a large price tag UFA.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #1282
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTrumanShow View Post
oh Eklund:

A source yesterday confirmed that Arizona, who has suddenly gotten quite aggressive, has told the NJ Devils of their interest in Taylor Hall, should the Devils and Hall decide to part ways...that is not the most interesting part of this though...

The Devils and Calgary Flames have already, quietly discussed a contingency plan for this scenario...and coming back to NJ as part of the deal would be South Jersey native Johnny Gaudreau.

SMH

So, Calgary's biggest weapon in Gaudreau - signed for $6.75M until 2022
for a year of Taylor Hall who'll be looking for $9M+ next season

I don't think that NJ could be adding enough to that package for a trade involving those names to make any sense. Unless Ujiri is holding Brad's beer...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #1283
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just saw that Eklund tweet. Had a good laugh (which is about all he's good for, except occasionally - VERY occasionally - something on Philly).
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #1284
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

I don't think that NJ could be adding enough to that package for a trade involving those names to make any sense. Unless Ujiri is holding Brad's beer...

To add, $9 mil is extremely optimistic.

Hall will be looking for Tavares/Panarin type money, and will likely get it from someone.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #1285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

What if NJ adds plus takes on Neal?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #1286
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I doubt this happens. Hall has been stating that he wants to play for a winner a lot recently. If the flames trade their best player in order to get Hall, that doesn't really set the flames up as a sure-fire contender.
It sure as hell doesn't hurt them. I tend to think Taylor Hall may in fact provide an upgrade on Gaudreau—he's a former Hart Trophy winner.

Quote:
If the flames do trade Gaudreau, I would hope it's in the hopes of re-tooling and getting back a large package of prospects and picks not a large price tag UFA.
If the Flames trade Gaudreau at some point in the next two years, it had better yield a return that includes a player/players who are immediate contributors to a team with serious designs on winning a championship. (Not a "large price tag UFA," but certainly a lot more than "a package of prospects and picks.) Gaudreau is the Flames best player, but it's not like he is the lynchpin of success for the entire roster—this is not Connor McHobo we are taking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #1287
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What if NJ adds plus takes on Neal?
I was thinking this as well. Like maybe a signed Taylor Hall and Coleman for Johnny and Neal?
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #1288
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It sure as hell doesn't hurt them. I tend to think Taylor Hall may in fact provide an upgrade on Gaudreau—he's a former Hart Trophy winner.

If the Flames trade Gaudreau at some point in the next two years, it had better yield a return that includes a player/players who are immediate contributors to a team with serious designs on winning a championship. (Not a "large price tag UFA," but certainly a lot more than "a package of prospects and picks.) Gaudreau is the Flames best player, but it's not like he is the lynchpin of success for the entire roster—this is not Connor McHobo we are taking about.
I guess what I mean is, when hall decides where he's going to sign long term, if he's serious about wanting to play for a contender, are the flames really an ideal landing spot, given that the next best forwards are Monahan/tkachuk? Not to say that isn't good, but I'd imagine there'd be other teams with a more enticing group.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #1289
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
To add, $9 mil is extremely optimistic.

Hall will be looking for Tavares/Panarin type money, and will likely get it from someone.
As i posted in the other thread that is touching on this,

Larry Brooks suggests that Hall will command 13M+ per on his next deal.

Sure thing Foster.

Quote:
For if Artemi Panarin, an elite talent, was able to attract a $96M offer from Columbus over eight years ($12M per season) and another from the Islanders for $87.5M over seven years ($12.5M per) before accepting the Rangers’ bid of $81.5M over seven years ($11.642M per) in a self-imposed limited field, then what do you suppose awaits Hall — the 2017-18 Hart Trophy winner, who could be expected to open up the proceedings to anyone with a good chance to win?

You begin at $13M per and watch the bidding escalate for this dynamic, difference-making winger — who will turn 28 on Nov. 14, 15 days after Panarin blows out the same number of candles on his birthday cake. That’s where you begin right now if you are Devils general manager Ray Shero, who would be taking a John Tavares-sized risk (or is that Garth Snow-sized?) in allowing No. 9 to play out the season without an extension
https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/clock-...nd-the-devils/
Old 07-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #1290
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I guess what I mean is, when hall decides where he's going to sign long term, if he's serious about wanting to play for a contender, are the flames really an ideal landing spot, given that the next best forwards are Monahan/tkachuk? Not to say that isn't good, but I'd imagine there'd be other teams with a more enticing group.
How many of those more enticing groups will also have the cap space to add a player like Hall? If the Flames were to move Gaudreau the space would need to be filled by an elite player; I think it would be an attractive landing spot for a player like Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-08-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #1291
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sven Andrighetto has signed a two-year deal with KHL Avangard (Bob Hartley's team)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1148295742601224192

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #1292
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hall for gaudreau as the base of a trade isn't absurd but I don't know how Calgary can actually do it.

One way, however, would be shipping out Neal in the same deal.

Gaudreau's contract is the x factor here. Hall is maybe/probably a better individual player compared to Johnny Hockey but that 6.75 deal for term carries a huge amount of value.

If you can sign Hall for a similar dollar figure as tkachuk is going to get, then I think Gaudreau + Neal for Hall is fair value.

But I don't know if that really improves the roster.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #1293
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping the Flames could sign Hall as a UFA to add him to what they already have, but these ridiculously inflated prices lately are making that seem more and more unlikely by the signing.

The only hope now would be a Duchene type discount because for some reason Hall ends up really wanting to sign in CGY and to leave enough money to field a strong team around him. That and the cap going up a lot next season. Stone's contract expiring and Neal bouncing back and getting moved would also help.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Hall - Lindholm -

That would be an elite top 6 no matter who you slotted in on 2nd line RW.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #1294
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Hall - Lindholm - Lucic

That would be an elite top 6 no matter who you slotted in on 2nd line RW.
Well, maybe not just anyone.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #1295
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

People entertaining Gaudreau for Hall are out to lunch. Not only will Hall command big dollars on his next deal but he is injury prone, disappears when the going gets tough, and has the hockey IQ of a dead guppy. He has oodles of natural talent but no thanks. Given those things people think he is an upgrade on Johnny? Wtf...
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #1296
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
People entertaining Gaudreau for Hall are out to lunch. Not only will Hall command big dollars on his next deal but he is injury prone, disappears when the going gets tough, and has the hockey IQ of a dead guppy. He has oodles of natural talent but no thanks. Given those things people think he is an upgrade on Johnny? Wtf...
Agreed. Hell I keep Gaudreau even if it's just for his contract alone.

I'm all for adding a guy like Hall but not at the expense of Gaudreu
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #1297
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To go back to the Ferland rumor. Yes he has had meetings with Calgary and Vancouver. I was aware of this at the end of June.

Mods if you would like my source PM me.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Your Calgary Flames! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #1298
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Ferland signs with Vancouver, he's dead to me.

Sorry, no. He's irrelevant to me.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #1299
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the Luongo cap re-capture penalty may have taken the cap space they had ear marked for Ferland in Vancouver
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #1300
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Calgary Flames! View Post
To go back to the Ferland rumor. Yes he has had meetings with Calgary and Vancouver. I was aware of this at the end of June.

Mods if you would like my source PM me.
Vancouver was my guess once the season ended but they added Myers $6M, Miller’s $5.25M and Luongo’s $3M while still needing to sign Boeser to a 6-8M deal.

Ferland might have to wait until late summer/early fall to sign a deal. Reminds me of Russell when he was seeking 5.5Mx6 the season after the Flames moved him at the deadline.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote