Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #1241
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ideally you bank on Neal having an improved season raising his deadline trade value for next Feb, and perhaps even Brodie for that matter...doing nothing now could pay off in the long run....

...although I still think you gotta get something sooner rather than later for Frolik and arguably Brodie...but what if Brodie can have a stellar season and fetch a higher return as well?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #1242
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Ideally you bank on Neal having an improved season raising his deadline trade value for next Feb, and perhaps even Brodie for that matter...doing nothing now could pay off in the long run....

...although I still think you gotta get something sooner rather than later for Frolik and arguably Brodie...but what if Brodie can have a stellar season and fetch a higher return as well?
If Brodie is having a stellar season and the Flames are contending, I doubt they would trade him and weaken the team at the deadline.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #1243
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
They also have the Horton contract counting against them right now, which while it technically counts against the cap it shouldn’t be a problem after the season starts.
I wonder if there's an incentive to wait until AFTER training cap to sign Marner... HUGE risk there, but also potentially a payoff, as they'll have moved Horton's cap hit to LTIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #1244
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The flames literally cannot afford to keep brodie.

You're not keeping him to see if his value goes up at the deadline, you're trading him in order to be cap compliant at the beginning of the year.

I think many teams in the league realize this.

Other teams in cap crunches have made deals this off-season to relieve the pressure. We've gotten a pretty good glimpse into what the cost of cap compliance is.

I think hockey deals that improve the lineup or just about gone at this point. Now it's less about getting value for a player and more about getting what you can to sign your rfas and bargain Hunt for depth.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #1245
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Brodie is having a stellar season and the Flames are contending, I doubt they would trade him and weaken the team at the deadline.
I suppose you have a point there
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #1246
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The flames literally cannot afford to keep brodie.

You're not keeping him to see if his value goes up at the deadline, you're trading him in order to be cap compliant at the beginning of the year.

I think many teams in the league realize this.

Other teams in cap crunches have made deals this off-season to relieve the pressure. We've gotten a pretty good glimpse into what the cost of cap compliance is.

I think hockey deals that improve the lineup or just about gone at this point. Now it's less about getting value for a player and more about getting what you can to sign your rfas and bargain Hunt for depth.
Right. I keep forgetting how close we are to the cap, especially not knowing exactly where the Tkachuk contract will come in...
Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #1247
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

As nice as adding a 2c would be, if a team can take on his salary I'm willing to a do a move just for picks as well. A team with lots of draft picks and cap space, Montreal for example, could be willing. Then picks might be easier to flip for players from other cap strapped teams, or even just use the extra cap space to sign a guy like Ferland.

Hopefully the hurricanes hurry up and sign that offer sheet because I do see the Canadiens as a good trading partner right now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #1248
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ if I’m the Canes I wait until the last minute, to paralyze Montreal
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #1249
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I totally would too, but I read something this morning saying expect them to match it sooner than later
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #1250
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Word out of Carolina is that an announcement is coming within the hour.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146086795588845568
Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #1251
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point we’re probably looking at a handful of lower-round picks just to get cap compliant.

People are going to be very unhappy with the returns on Brodie and Frolik when they happen.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1252
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this point we’re probably looking at a handful of lower-round picks just to get cap compliant.

People are going to be very unhappy with the returns on Brodie and Frolik when they happen.
Frolik maybe, but I just can't see Treliving selling Brodie for a song. I think we'd see some other desperate moves like a Neal buyout before Brodie gets moved for a 4th and 6th

He studied under Burke after all, the guy that let Cammalleri walk for nothing just to prove a point
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1253
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, people keep saying that then you see just yesterday he was involved in a possible trade for Kadri and you wonder where the truth is.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #1254
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Free agent courting period news and rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Frolik maybe, but I just can't see Treliving selling Brodie for a song. I think we'd see some other desperate moves like a Neal buyout before Brodie gets moved for a 4th and 6th

A 4th and a 6th is probably low, but something like Nate Thompson and a 2nd is totally within the realm of possibility. Treiving is bent over a barrel and other teams know it.

Frolik to NJ for Boston’s 4th also seems plausible.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 07-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #1255
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I would publicly announce it, but take until the last minute to file the last remaining paperwork with the league.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #1256
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Yeah, people keep saying that then you see just yesterday he was involved in a possible trade for Kadri and you wonder where the truth is.
We have no idea what the rest of that trade was. We do know that Kadri fetched a half price Barrie, so we know that there had to be other pieces going the other way.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #1257
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
We have no idea what the rest of that trade was. We do know that Kadri fetched a half price Barrie, so we know that there had to be other pieces going the other way.
Absolutely that, but I think it's fair to assume he wasn't a throw in piece.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #1258
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Treliving doesn't make awful trades like posters are speculating. People oddly are forgetting he's a wizard.

Just cause a good one didn't pan out and he's biding his time doesn't mean were selling off a guy with decent value for scraps. CP really loves to assume the worst when things go quiet.

"Teams know he's over a barrel!" Really?
Trading Brodie for a six pack isn't his only option to open up some cap. And why would Kadri be offered up if that were the case? Such ridiculous assumptions.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #1259
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146106428878442496

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #1260
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Treliving doesn't make awful trades like posters are speculating. People oddly are forgetting he's a wizard.

Just cause a good one didn't pan out and he's biding his time doesn't mean were selling off a guy with decent value for scraps. CP really loves to assume the worst when things go quiet.

"Teams know he's over a barrel!" Really?
Trading Brodie for a six pack isn't his only option to open up some cap. And why would Kadri be offered up if that were the case? Such ridiculous assumptions.
Yeah people sure seem to be undervaluing Brodie. It's not like teams are going to trade for him just to help Calgary, there's lots of teams out there that would love to add a good dman. Now the teams that missed the decent ones in free agency will be calling.

Still obviously dissapointed about not getting Kadri but Treliving playing the long game could still work out great