Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019 NFL Fantasy Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Got my draft coming up, we do a 4 keeper league, with 14 teams. Needless to say running backs are usually picked in the first round, and the pickings are usually slim beyond the rookies. I’m having trouble picking my 4 this year out of 6 candidates

For sure keeping: Nick Chubb and Tyreek Hill

Then I have Cam Newton, Chris Carson, Sony Michel, and Baker Mayfield.

Trying to decide whether I keep all three RBs and Hill, or whether it’s worth keeping one of the QBs. Leaning toward the thinking that the QBs may still be there and I can grab them with my second round pick.

Any thoughts?
What are your positions and is it standard or PPR?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd load up on the skilled guys with Chubb, Hill, Carson and Michel. Draft a QB.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I'd load up on the skilled guys with Chubb, Hill, Carson and Michel. Draft a QB.
That's generally my feeling as well unless he's in a 2 QB league. QB is so deep this year that you really don't need to go after one before the 8th round at the earliest unless you've filled all of your other needs and loaded up your bench by that point.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What are your positions and is it standard or PPR?
Standard. Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll keep the RBs and Hill.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

So in a Superflex league where you can start 2 QB's how much earlier should you move on QB?
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1 Superflex.

Passing is 0.2 points per 5 yards, and 4 points for passing TD's.

I think you want two good QB's but I don't think you move QB's up 5 rounds or anything crazy.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
So in a Superflex league where you can start 2 QB's how much earlier should you move on QB?

I think you want two good QB's but I don't think you move QB's up 5 rounds or anything crazy.
You could still wait and grab guys like Lamar, Murray, and Trubisky for cheap and cobble together a decent team.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So keeper league questions here. We're a PPR league that keeps two players every year. Positions are QB, RB (2), WR (2), TE, FLEX. My first keeper is James Conner but I'm having trouble choosing between Golladay, Godwin or OJ Howard for my second.

Golladay would cost me a 13th round pick to keep, Howard and Godwin are both 9th round picks. I was also a seller at the trade deadline last year, so I have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft (2nd overall, 15th OA, 23rd OA, 25th OA) but then I don't pick again until the 5th round.

Normally, I would probably lean towards one of Godwin or Golladay but I'm thinking that I can get better WRs with the early picks I own and that those two might end up spending more time on my bench, whereas Howard would be my TE1. On the other hand, if I keep Golladay or Godwin, I can pencil one of them in as my WR2 and load up on anothee WR and BPA for my flex, while possibly having a shot at a guy like Ertz with all those early picks. However if I miss out on Ertz, I either have to reach for Howard with my third round pick, which is a bit of an opportunity cost or hope that decent TE falls to me in the 5th or later.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-22-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

How many teams in the league? My approach to Superflex leagues is a little different in a 10 team league versus 14 teams.

In the larger sized leagues it makes more sense to select quarterbacks a little earlier as I hate getting stuck with the bottom tier of players who are more prone to bad games and potentially at risk of losing their starting jobs.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So keeper league questions here. We're a PPR league that keeps two players every year. Positions are QB, RB (2), WR (2), TE, FLEX. My first keeper is James Conner but I'm having trouble choosing between Golladay, Godwin or OJ Howard for my second.

Golladay would cost me a 13th round pick to keep, Howard and Godwin are both 9th round picks. I was also a seller at the trade deadline last year, so I have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft (2nd overall, 15th OA, 23rd OA, 25th OA) but then I don't pick again until the 5th round.

Normally, I would probably lean towards one of Godwin or Golladay but I'm thinking that I can get better WRs with the early picks I own and that those two might end up spending more time on my bench, whereas Howard would be my TE1. On the other hand, if I keep Golladay or Godwin, I can pencil one of them in as my WR2 and load up on anothee WR and BPA for my flex, while possibly having a shot at a guy like Ertz with all those early picks. However if I miss out on Ertz, I either have to reach for Howard with my third round pick, which is a bit of an opportunity cost or hope that decent TE falls to me in the 5th or later.
Current ADP data (all positions) has Godwin as 46th overall and Golladay as 51st overall while O.J. Howard is 58th overall. Golladay has the best value relative to the draft pick cost to keep him and the reports from the joint practices held between the Lions and Patriots were promising:

One name that was raised to me as having impressed in the Patriots/Lions joint practices last week: Detroit third-year WR Kenny Golladay. He absolutely caught the eye of his opponents over their two days working together on the practice field (Golladay didn’t play in the preseason game), as a guy who’s open even when he’s covered. And the 6’4”, 203-pounder is pretty much exactly the type of big, long receiver Matthew Stafford loves. We got a taste of that last year, and that 70-catch, 1,063-yard, five-touchdown season might just be the tip of the iceberg.

Source:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/12/an...on-gruden-mmqb

The only hesitation I’d have on keeping Golladay is that I can’t shake the feeling that the Lions are a team that will flounder this year. Godwin has had good buzz around him during training camp and I think Howard can make another leap forward in his development (he is in that tier just below Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz).

Last edited by Faust; 08-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Current ADP data (all positions) has Godwin as 46th overall and Golladay as 51st overall while O.J. Howard is 58th overall. Golladay has the best value relative to the draft pick cost to keep him and the reports from the joint practices held between the Lions and Patriots were promising:

One name that was raised to me as having impressed in the Patriots/Lions joint practices last week: Detroit third-year WR Kenny Golladay. He absolutely caught the eye of his opponents over their two days working together on the practice field (Golladay didn’t play in the preseason game), as a guy who’s open even when he’s covered. And the 6’4”, 203-pounder is pretty much exactly the type of big, long receiver Matthew Stafford loves. We got a taste of that last year, and that 70-catch, 1,063-yard, five-touchdown season might just be the tip of the iceberg.

Source:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/12/an...on-gruden-mmqb

The only hesitation I’d have on keeping Golladay is that I can’t shake the feeling that the Lions are a team that will flounder this year. Godwin has had good buzz around him during training camp and I think Howard can make another leap forward in his development (he is in that tier just below Kelce, Kittle, and Ertz).
Yeah I agree from a value vs. ADP perspective that Golladay makes the most sense, but most of the mocks I do have me coming away with Mike Evans and Hilton as my WRs and one of Freeman, Jones, Fournette as my Flex, which likely means Golladay sits on my bench for most of the year unless he breaks out and becomes a true WR1.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
How many teams in the league? My approach to Superflex leagues is a little different in a 10 team league versus 14 teams.

In the larger sized leagues it makes more sense to select quarterbacks a little earlier as I hate getting stuck with the bottom tier of players who are more prone to bad games and potentially at risk of losing their starting jobs.
Its a 12 team league. So there probably are 2 viable QBs per team. But yeah I don't think a duo of Dak and Daulton are taking you to the playoffs.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Its a 12 team league. So there probably are 2 viable QBs per team. But yeah I don't think a duo of Dak and Daulton are taking you to the playoffs.
And put rushing QBs up even higher (assuming passing TDS are worth less that rushing ones). So if you can scoop kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson but you can’t wait very long without getting stuck with crap.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

So an unlucky Luck owner I need to get a backup to Cam...what QB would you take?

Dak Prescott, Jamis Winston, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson

Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
So an unlucky Luck owner I need to get a backup to Cam...what QB would you take?

Dak Prescott, Jamis Winston, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson
Lamar has the potential to be a league winner, IMO.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Lamar has the potential to be a league winner, IMO.
Yeah...he’s an RB1 and a QB3 rolled into one

Old 08-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well here is the lineup I ended with.

1 point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1Flex, OP (Superflex), DST, K

QB Newton
RB1 Kamara
RB2 Chubb
WR1 Alshon Jeffrey
WR2 A.J. Green
TE Jared Cook
DST Eagles
K Jake Elliot
Flex Devonta Freeman
OP Mitchel Trubiski
BE Derek Henry
BE Jordan Howard
BE Keke Coutee
BE Desean Jackson
BE Larry Fitzgerald
BE Eric Ebron

Ended up with a few more Eagles than I would like for the notion of having too many guys from one team. In hindsight, I maybe took too many RB's early, and left myself too banged up at WR to start the season. But Fitz and Jeffrey were the only two I took close to their ADP in other drafts.

We'll see how it works out. It's generally about finding that former practice squad guy who pops in week 2. That or someone else has a top RB go down early that opens up a good trade opportunity.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #17
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen Anthony Miller still available in a number of leagues. I'd bet he is much more effective than Howard. I cant imagine a scenario right now that you would even use him?
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I've seen Anthony Miller still available in a number of leagues. I'd bet he is much more effective than Howard. I cant imagine a scenario right now that you would even use him?
So, I'm pretty high on Miller but if you can get Howard in the 9th or later it's good value.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, I'm pretty high on Miller but if you can get Howard in the 9th or later it's good value.
Oh I agree. I think Howard is a fantastic bench stash this year to see if he takes over that backfield, but Howard is a poor receiving back (PPR). As well it comes down to when you use him?

Personally I wouldn't trust starting Howard for the first 3-4 weeks (injuries aside) based off last year, not to mention, when would you start him over the other 4 running backs with confidence?

Point being is WR is an obvious weakness, and given injuries and uncertainty a guy like Miller could very well be a go-to WR2.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had our season long draft last night. Ended up with 1st overall for once!

QB - A. Rodgers
RB1 - S. Barkley
RB2 - D. Montgonery
WR1 - T. Hill
WR2 - M. Evans
Flex - P. Lindsay
DST - LA Rams
K - H. Butker
BE - W. Fuller
BE - C. Davis
BE - B. Roethlisberger
BE - J. Witten
BE - N. Hines
BE - K. Hunt

Overall im cautiously optimistic. The last few years I have loved my teams but they just end up letting me down!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote