Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #2241
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Jared Harris in Morbius is interesting. I believe he was originally cast as Lizard in the Garfield Spidey movie. That would be Andrew. Not the lasagna loving cat.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #2242
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And 60% on Metacritic.

That screams solidly average to me. I think that would be considered a success for DC.
It sounds like it's destined to bomb as pre-sales have been really bad. I checked chinook theater and they've pre-sold 74 tickets between all six showings of it tonight.

https://cosmicbook.news/birds-prey-tickets-dead-water

I haven't seen Suicide Squad but I assumed a lot of it's success was tied to Harley, so this is surprising, even after Charlie's Angels bombed.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #2243
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Hail to the time stone, baby
I'd watch that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #2244
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
It sounds like it's destined to bomb as pre-sales have been really bad. I checked chinook theater and they've pre-sold 74 tickets between all six showings of it tonight.

https://cosmicbook.news/birds-prey-tickets-dead-water

I haven't seen Suicide Squad but I assumed a lot of it's success was tied to Harley, so this is surprising, even after Charlie's Angels bombed.
A bomb would be way off tracking. It's tracking at $50+ domestically and $110 globally, which is a huge success for a movie of its budget.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #2245
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
A bomb would be way off tracking. It's tracking at $50+ domestically and $110 globally, which is a huge success for a movie of its budget.

Is that for this weekend or total? It has a $100M budget plus I've been seeing tons of marketing, which should double or triple that number.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #2246
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This weekend alone it should make back it's budget. Shazam did $363 million WW on a $85 mill budget and WB deemed that good enough for a spin-off film (Black Adam) and a sequel. Go back and look at the first MCU films, they certainly didn't light the box office on fire. The first Cap did $176 mill and the first Thor did $180mill. I fully expect BOP to finish around those numbers. The budget for BOP is around $75 million it will be a huge success for WB.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #2247
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And 60% on Metacritic.

That screams solidly average to me. I think that would be considered a success for DC.
Joker made a billion dollars at the box office , got 11 Oscar nominations, and become a cultural phenomenon.....
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #2248
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess in our Box Office pool for Harley was $165M. That was on the lower end of guesses, I think people in general expect it to do okay.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #2249
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Joker made a billion dollars at the box office , got 11 Oscar nominations, and become a cultural phenomenon.....
And it was a slightly above average film, so I think we should keep expectations in check.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #2250
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cultural phenomenon or cultural blip?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #2251
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #2252
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Is that for this weekend or total? It has a $100M budget plus I've been seeing tons of marketing, which should double or triple that number.
Just the weekend.

The budget is $97.1 million.

Edit: Marketing for this movie has not been very intense. It's also an R rated film, which means all the marketing directed at people under 18 doesn't exist. Official trailers didn't even hit until October.

Last edited by blankall; 02-06-2020 at 12:53 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #2253
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
yeah but was it 90% CG and loaded with 50 1 line zingers?? If not it sucks.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #2254
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Still haven't seen Joker. I like the actor, I'm just not a fan of shock value and/or depressing type movies and that was the way it was described to me. Is that accurate?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #2255
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Still haven't seen Joker. I like the actor, I'm just not a fan of shock value and/or depressing type movies and that was the way it was described to me. Is that accurate?
There's really no shock value type of plot points. A couple that could be read into in terms of DC lore, but if you were coming into this as an alien watching your first human movie, it would be pretty straight forward.

It's a character study. Phoenix is great in it. To show exactly how good, I would say if a lesser actor played the part there would be no Oscar noms for this film. It's that much of a quality bump.

It's fairly depressing at times.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #2256
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was wary of a gimmicky solo-film myself and the movie does have its warts but overall I thought it absolutely nailed what it was going for and was very enjoyable.

A good watch.

However, far be it for me to praise DC without a couple of pot-shots, you could have replaced the Joker with pretty much any mentally-ill person and achieved the same objective, but you'd have to build the world rather than rely on one thats already fairly well known and if the actor portraying the Joker was anything less than absolutely stellar the whole thing would have fallen apart.

It was a really good movie. Making it a 'Joker' movie was really just a very clever marketing tactic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #2257
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: nm, I see the discussion has moved on
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #2258
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
EDIT: nm, I see the discussion has moved on
From speculating which character Bruce Campbell will play in the Dr. Strange movie? That discussion will never move on.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #2259
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, also kind of dumb. A fridge.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #2260
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My non-spoiler quick review on BOP......

I thought it was fantastic (of course), it's very much Harleys movie with the BOP fitting around Harley. Each of the BOP get little moments, but the whole story is told by Harley and from her perspective. Now DC please introduce Green Arrow so he and Black Canary can have a film. Ewan McGregor is great as Black Mask he is a really good villain. The fight scenes were super cool, lots of unique and interesting set pieces as well. There was one scene that I almost had to turn away from it was so gruesome, lots of really crazy injuries in this. Overall, I'm very happy with this film, I'd give it a 8.5/10.