Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #281
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^I can't imagine they would ever do that. How many people already know how that one ends, not to mention the topic of each episode. Talk about anti-climactic and the exact opposite of the first season.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #282
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brad Pitt? Yes please!

I also wouldn't mind Ewan McGregor. Not that he's rumoured for it, but August: Osage County was originally a pilot for HBO, so he already has that connection.

Really, I don't care who is in it, should be a good ride regardless.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #283
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
^^I can't imagine they would ever do that. How many people already know how that one ends, not to mention the topic of each episode. Talk about anti-climactic and the exact opposite of the first season.
No, I'm not saying they would or should, I'm just saying I think it would have worked well as an 8 episode show.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #284
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's reflect back on how bad ass this scene was.

Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #285
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I just finished watching this season, and wow, what a show. I loved the character development, and the way they used the case to tell the story of the detectives. So many good quotes, but this was my favorite from Rust:

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of s***. "

Love it. Can't wait for the next season.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #286
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

An incredibly awesome essay on the parallels between Dante and the first season:

http://www.complexmag.ca/pop-culture...and-redemption

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #287
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the highest quality TV production ever? There have been a lot of great cable TV shows over the past decade but I don't recall on so flawless in execution. You can argue McConaughey's performance as Rust was superior to his Oscar winning performance in Dallas Buyers Club.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #288
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05...ered-lead-role
Quote:
Nerdist.com just broke the news that Oscar-nominated actress Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty, The Help) has been offered one of the leading roles in the second season of HBO's True Detective. But will she be able to find the Yellow King the way she found Bin Laden
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #289
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

She'd be great for the role of a detective.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #290
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good choice if she takes it.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #291
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as this thread got bumped, I was quite surprised to see True Detective will be competeting in the traditional TV categories at the Emmy's and not in the miniseries categories. This of course means Breaking Bad against True Detective for best series and McConaughey versus Harrelson versus Cranston for best actor. Gotta be a record for Emmy star power right there.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #292
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Seeing as this thread got bumped, I was quite surprised to see True Detective will be competeting in the traditional TV categories at the Emmy's and not in the miniseries categories. This of course means Breaking Bad against True Detective for best series and McConaughey versus Harrelson versus Cranston for best actor. Gotta be a record for Emmy star power right there.
My vote is for McConaughey, despite how awesome Cranston was.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #293
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three leads, and off to California...

Quote:
The True Detective creator gave some scoop on the show, revealing that its second season — which still has not been officially announced — is probably going to have three leads. They’ll be all-new characters, “but I’m deeply in love with each of them,” he says. (We’re hearing, unconfirmed, the characters are two men and a woman.)

Pizzolatto also says the season will be set in California: “Not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser-known venues of California. And we’re going to try to capture a certain psycho-sphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.” (We’re hearing, unconfirmed, that it’s mainly set in the present day, and that Northern California plays a key role.)

In addition, we’ve heard — again, unconfirmed — that season 2 is expected to consist of another eight epiosdes, with Pizzolatto writing each. But while Cary Fukunaga directed every hour of season 1, we’re hearing that the second season will likely have different directors for each episode.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/27/tr...eason-2-scoop/
Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #294
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jessica Chastain will not be on the show.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...rue-detective/
Quote:
Jessica Chastain is sorry about the minor Internet frenzy started when word got out that she’d been approached to star in the second season of “True Detective.”
As it turns out, she’s not doing it. Chastain shot down the news, first reported in an exclusive by the Nerdist, at the Cannes Cinema Against Aids benefit for amFAR.
“It’s such an awkward thing,” Chastain said. “That news broke yesterday and it went crazy on the Internet. There was so much of an explosion. Also it’s an awkward thing because when all that attention happens, it takes away from whoever plays the role. I love Woody Harrelson, and I’m gonna watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first. But I won’t be on it.”
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #295
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished 4 episodes, what a stellar show.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #296
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

True Detective' creator doesn't see show going beyond 3 seasons

The creator of HBO's dark and brooding crime drama "True Detective" says fans of the popular show had better not get too attached over the long term.

"Each season I'm essentially creating a brand-new TV show and it can't have any growing pains like a regular first season. It has to work right out of the box and that's incredibly exhausting," Nic Pizzolatto said in an interview Wednesday at the Banff World Media Festival.

Pizzolatto said he's written two scripts so far that's he's happy with. But he has a message for people who believe rumours about who will be cast in season 2.
"Not a single rumour about casting that has been printed anywhere has any truth to it whatsoever. I've seen entertainment reporters say 'my sources say' and there are no sources. There's me and two other guys and they don't even know what I'm doing," he said.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #297
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emmy nominations are out today. True Detective is nominated for best dramatic series and both Harrelson and McConaughey are nominated for best actor. No surprise really, but just a confirmation of how we all felt about the show and the performances by these guys.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t2

I would give the edge to McConaughey in the Best Actor category. He was incredible...and that's not to take anything away from Woody.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 07-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #298
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Emmy nominations are out today. True Detective is nominated for best dramatic series and both Harrelson and McConaughey are nominated for best actor. No surprise really, but just a confirmation of how we all felt about the show and the performances by these guys.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t2

I would give the edge to McConaughey in the Best Actor category. He was incredible...and that's not to take anything away from Woody.
From the article:

Quote:
This year's drama category name-checks some of the predicted suspects -- "Breaking Bad," "House of Cards," "Mad Men" -- while welcoming a new player: HBO's "True Detective."
Yet even with such a strong cast of nominees, fans of "Orphan Black," The Americans" and "The Walking Dead" are somewhere bemoaning the Emmys' oversight of those series once again.
One of these things is not like the others.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #299
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Walking Dead certainly doesn't deserve any acting awards, but I would suggest it should be nominated in other categories for sure.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #300
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
The Walking Dead certainly doesn't deserve any acting awards, but I would suggest it should be nominated in other categories for sure.
Apart from make-up I don't know what other category I could see it in.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran