Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #2361
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nadal: I had the easiest Wimbledon final ever, I played Berdych.
Federer: I had the easiest Wimbledon final ever, my opponent was in tears after the first set.
Djokovic: Hold my beer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #2362
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I enjoy the most about these matchups is that it's the servebot who usually badly struggles to hold serve, while the elite returner almost always dominates on serve. The fact Novak has put no effort into holding serve is why this is so easy for him.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #2363
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Joker, nice to have you back. Fine tourney from Kevin Anderson, two slam finals in the last 10 months is nothing to sneeze at.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #2364
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this win the big 3 (Fed,Nads,Djok) have won a combined 50 grand slam titles or roughly 1 out of every 4 grand slams played in the entire open era.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #2365
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

woot, Rebecca Marino wins the ITF event in Winnipeg 7-6 7-6, that's her fourth ITF title in 2018.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #2366
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

So cute.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1018544271010361344
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #2367
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super cute! Unfortunately the little Djoker was not actually allowed to watch the match due to no kids under 5 allowed on the show courts. There are so many odd rules at Wimbeldon, the Brits really don't know how to do fun do they?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #2368
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After Djokovic's win yesterday, do we put him ahead of Sampras on the all time list or does he need to win 1-2 more Majors before you can do that? He's 1 major behind but hes over 60 weeks behind at World #1 and he has only 4 year end #1 finishes compared to Sampras who has 6 (which is one of the few records he has left). Djokovic has at least 1 major at each tournament and held all 4 at the same time, something Sampras never came close to doing as he was just flat out terrible on clay.

Also can we say Serena is the greatest Women's tennis player of all time because she has the most majors at 23 which is 1 more than Graf. However Graf has an insane 377 weeks at world #1 while Serena is at 319.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #2369
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vasek is playing in Newport, Rhode Island this week at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships and he just defeated Donald Young 7-6(5) 6-1. Young's ranking has dipped to 232 in the world, very surprising.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #2370
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
After Djokovic's win yesterday, do we put him ahead of Sampras on the all time list or does he need to win 1-2 more Majors before you can do that?
I had him as equal to or above Sampras already before yesterday. the major count and #1 weeks/year ends in Pete's corner are big, but I think they are outweighed by the career slam, Masters trophies, and all-surface dominance while playing in the same era as goat 1 and 2. without Djoker, both Fed and Rafa would be at or past the Serena/Margaret Court major count...awesome for their fans, but probably less interesting overall for the sport.

in other news, I came across a great analysis of the current state of Roger's game, and why he's not having as good a year as last (aside from age):

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...--marc-rosset/

original interview en francais (can be google translated):

https://www.letemps.ch/sport/roger-f...venir-chasseur

summarized:

- not playing with same level of strike first aggression and risk
- attempting to "manage" or outlast opponents rather than going after them
- taking clay season off again even though his spring hard court season ended much sooner
- not playing enough high quality opponents or even getting enough good reps in between spring hard court and grass

so a bit of complacency after defending AO (which possibly Cilic lost more than Fed won it) and briefly returning to #1. given that it'll be the 10 year anniversary of his last US Open win, I'm hoping that the hunger kicks in again for August/September, and we can see all 3 goats come with their absolute best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #2371
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a very close debate right now as I think Djoker would win at Australia and Rolland Garros while Sampras wins at Wimbledon and US Open. For how great Djoker has been his Grand Slams finals record of only 13-9 is bad while Sampras was 14-4. Obviously Novak showed he's not done winning slams and I'm pretty confident he will pass 14 in his career, how high can he go? Imagine all 3 of them ended up with 20 Grand Slams

I think Federer has just not been able to close recently for some reason. He had match points in his last 3 losses but just couldn't convert. I can't wait for Rogers Cup to see how they all look on hard court.

Right now odds makers have Djoker as the favorite for US Open, then Fed 2nd then Nadal 3rd. Shapo at 33-1 might be worth a $20 bet
Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #2372
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For how great Djoker has been his Grand Slams finals record of only 13-9 is bad while Sampras was 14-4.
that's 22 finals played by Djoker vs 18 for Pete. how many combined slams do Djoker's finals opponents have...43? that's some pretty tough competition to still maintain a winning record against. I don't know what that number is for Pete's opponents but I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's far less.

Quote:
I think Federer has just not been able to close recently for some reason. He had match points in his last 3 losses but just couldn't convert. I can't wait for Rogers Cup to see how they all look on hard court.
so what you're saying is that Fed wasting so many break/set/match points lately is unsustainable, like the Flames being top 5 in scoring chances, but continually hitting goalie or the boards/posts? this is great news, I feel a lot better.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #2373
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Super cute! Unfortunately the little Djoker was not actually allowed to watch the match due to no kids under 5 allowed on the show courts. There are so many odd rules at Wimbeldon, the Brits really don't know how to do fun do they?
This is an absolutely essential rule. Young kids do not understand the necessity of being quiet during points. It's incredibly annoying when parents bring kids they can't control to events that require silence for other people to enjoy or for the performers to work. A hockey game is fine; a tennis match is not.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #2374
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, chalk up another ATP tour level win for Felix as he takes advantage of his wild card entry into the Croatia Open and defeats Andrej Martin in straight sets (6-4 6-3). Next up will be a tough match however as he faces Andrey Rublev.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #2375
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Young kids do not understand the necessity of being quiet during points.

I understand the custom, but what is so special about tennis (or golf) that fans have to be quiet? Most other athletes perform with crowd noise.

Think of the heckling and abuse a batter gets at the plate in baseball. What could require more concentration than hitting a 100 mph fastball?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #2376
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I understand the custom, but what is so special about tennis (or golf) that fans have to be quiet? Most other athletes perform with crowd noise.

Think of the heckling and abuse a batter gets at the plate in baseball. What could require more concentration than hitting a 100 mph fastball?
in tennis, the on-court sounds matter. umpire and linesperson calls could get easily mixed up with crowd noise if you just allow random shouting during a match. the distance from the players to the officials vs crowd is also much smaller compared to something like baseball, where the players and umps have more isolation.

even the sound of the ball is important; hearing how it comes off the racquet of your opponent gives you clues as to its incoming speed and spin. I guess in short, if you moved the crowd back about 20-30 feet, increased crowd size to 20,000 and up so it's a constant general murmur instead of individually identifiable distractions, then maybe tennis could work with crowd noise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #2377
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thank you for a great explanation - some points I had not considered.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #2378
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do find it interesting though that players are able to tune out umpires announcing scores from nearby courts which is most common during the first week of major tournaments. Of course, nobody can blame Frances Tiafoe for not being able to tune this out.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 07-17-2018 at 02:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #2379
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tiafoe: "It can't be that good!!"

oh Frances, still so young and so much to learn.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #2380
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis and Felix look to have a long lucrative career ahead of them...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1019290674498297857
Closed Thread