Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #921
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Brutal, Hate to be that guy but I wonder how much have we spent on illegal immigrants walking across or border as opposed to defending our border and funding our armed forces.
Brutal, hate to be that guy but the Canadian gov't has been under funding, ignoring and abusing the Canadian Military since Christ was a Corporal.

None of this is new.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #922
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With Trudeau throwing troops every where, a new mission to Iraq, the mission to Mali, the mission to Latvia being extended, combined with dramatic under spending and the inevitable wear down and rust out, all we're doing is speeding up the decline of the Forces to be able to carry out their mission and increase the rate of rust out.

At the end of the day, the Forces will probably reach a complete rust out and lack of capability in the next decade or so.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #923
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We continue to show our incompetence with a great deal of pride

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-nato-networks

Quote:
The Canadian Army’s newest radar system can’t be linked in to NATO’s air defence networks but the military says it won’t cancel the project worth more than $200 million.

Quote:
Department of National Defence spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande said Canada did not examine whether the medium range radar system could be integrated into NATO air defence systems as that is not currently a requirement for the Canadian Army.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #924
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping one of these days, I won't cringe when I see this thread bumped. Sigh.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #925
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its not the intention to make anyone cringe. However, I do believe that between sheer incompetence shared by the Liberals and Conservatives and the neglect of the Armed Forces, that it doesn't matter if we do get to 2% of the GDP in spending, we're on the verge of a unfixable Canadian Forces.

Even the new Military spending program by the Libs looks like meat the old boss, its the same as the old boss.

The original Fighter Jet Replacement program which was originally going to be in the 9 to 10 billion dollar range and now its going to be 15 billion. The new ships program is a complete mess, and the ground forces is seriously rusting out and we've lost key capabilities like air space protection for the ground troops.

Meanwhile this government is sending out troops on missions without looking at the effect of bottom line wear points.

The fact is that we have obsolete fighter planes, and we're bringing in more obsolete fighter planes that have flown in a more damaging environment.

We have frigates that are approaching over 25 years of age that can't be modernized much more and have limited capabilities and Canada can't form their own effective task forces. We have Victoria Class submarines that are 50 year old designs that are hit and miss in their deployments.

For the ground forces we have most of our armored personal carriers/fighting vehicles rusting out, the ground forces can't protect themselves from air interdiction, we have a massive shortage of personal kits.

We have too many officers, especially senior ones, not enough fighting personal and a broken procurement system.

I would say that the capabilities of the armed forces in the next 10 years is going slide down rapidly. As much as people don't think its going to happen, Canada's resources are strategic and at some point things like our arctic resource areas are going to be interesting to other nations. Trudeau wants to state that Canada is back in a loud boisterous voice and send out troops on different missions, but these deployments will break the military, the same as the military was broken after Afghanistan.

And we can't keep depending on our big brother down south to defend us while yipping at him like our participation in NATO for example is meaningful to anyone but Canada.

Recruiting is also sliding because why would you want to join an organization that clearly doesn't care about you and giving you the tools to do the job that they ask you to do.

Basically the choices are this to me. Recapitalize, I think its an impossible task.

Or truly integrate North America's defense. Take our defense budget and give it to the States, build a advanced sense system in the North with Satellite coverage in real time, moth ball our entire military and pay the American's to provide a true North American Defense strategy. Allow the American's to base their fighters that they need to in Canada. Let them patrol our coasts with their navy and come up with a resource agreement in the north and allow the american navy to protect the arctic. Allow the Americans exclusive use of Wainwright and other training areas and they can station a couple of heavy armor groups in Canada.

Allow Canadians to join the American Military without conditions. Allow Canadian defense industries unfettered access to American defense contracts.

Oh and join the American Ballistic Missile shield Program and more tightly integrate CSIS with American intelligence agencies.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #926
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We continue to show our incompetence with a great deal of pride
Really?

The Canadian Army’s newest radar system can’t be linked in to NATO’s air defence networks but the military says it won’t cancel the project worth more than $200 million.
So what? The Army isn't purchasing it to integrate into a NATO air defence network.
Quote:
Department of National Defence spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande said Canada did not examine whether the medium range radar system could be integrated into NATO air defence systems as that is not currently a requirement for the Canadian Army.
Which is true. The Army wants the RADAR to locate sources of indirect fire. We can still relay the source info to NATO,or whomever, without having the RADAR patched into another network.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #927
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry, formatting was buggered.

From the Post:
"The Canadian Army’s newest radar system can’t be linked in to NATO’s air defence networks..."

So what? The Army isn't purchasing it to integrate into a NATO air defence network.

Again, from the Post:
"Department of National Defence spokeswoman Jessica Lamirande said Canada did not examine whether the medium range radar system could be integrated into NATO air defence systems as that is not currently a requirement for the Canadian Army."

Which is true. The Army wants the RADAR to locate sources of indirect fire. We can still relay the source info to NATO, or whomever, without having the RADAR patched into another network.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #928
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
However, I do believe that between sheer incompetence shared by the Liberals and Conservatives and the neglect of the Armed Forces, that it doesn't matter if we do get to 2% of the GDP in spending, we're on the verge of a unfixable Canadian Forces.
You could increase spending to 4% of GDP tomorrow. I will tell you right now that there is no guarantee of a capability increase.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #929
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not the intention to make anyone cringe.
Absolutely not directed at you CC. I appreciate, very much, your contributions to this thread. It's more the state of the forces and how they are handled that make me cringe. Odds are any new post is not shining a positive light on things.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #930
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Calgary Veteran's Food Bank being shut down next year

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...its-supporters

Old 07-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #931
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary Veteran's Food Bank being shut down next year

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...its-supporters
Pretty sad that such a program will cease to exist over ~$200K/year. They get most of their money from the poppy fund, so I hope those parasites that were stealing poppy boxes really enjoyed their meth! How can there not be provincial or federal money for such an important program?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #932
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-claims-of-a/

Auditor General to investigate the Liberal's claim of a Fighter Jet gap.

There isn't really a gap in terms of numbers right now, there's a technology gap, in that our planes are pretty much end of life and their abilities are compromised by the age of the fighters themselves. And buying even more of the same thing but from a country with a harder environment is not going to solve it.

Right now the two apparent jets that would be best suited are the F-35 and the Boeing Super Hornet. Though with the current trade war, we're going to probably not look at the two more capable fighters.

With the Rafale being an older 4th gen and the Eurofighter Typhoon having its production slowed down the only other suitable fighter would be the Gripen NG fighter, which is a nice fighter but nowhere near as capable as the F-35 in terms of sensors, interoperability, or per payload. Also as the F-35 ramps up its production there won't be a significant amount of cost difference between the two as the F-35 will allow for a smaller number of planes

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-27-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #933
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy ####, a boot allowance! Only 10 years after it was needed, but a win for our troops regardless

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-boots-anymore
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Venders at the information day for the Canadian Jet Fighter replacement have now been told that Canada is extending the life of the CF-18's to 2032 from 2025.

https://www.coldlakesun.com/2018/02/...a-b6f87324352b

Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #935
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonderful. We probably won't have any pilots left to fly them anyway. I know I'd be looking for an exit if I were in their shoes and knowing I'd be stuck on these antiques the remainder of my career. Air Canada and WestJet will be loving this announcement, their applicant pool is going to grow.

This government is pathetic and an downright embarassement. Sadly so were the ones before it.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #936
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Venders at the information day for the Canadian Jet Fighter replacement have now been told that Canada is extending the life of the CF-18's to 2032 from 2025.

https://www.coldlakesun.com/2018/02/...a-b6f87324352b
The RCAF has officially become the Royal Canadian Air Farce. Just f’ing pathetic...
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #937
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're going top spend a half billion dollars on new uniforms which is a postive, however we're going to spend a half a billion dollars because Vance wants to use and pay royalties on the US Multi-cam instead of using the Canadian developed cammo pattern.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...flage-designer

Quote:
he plan by the country’s top soldier to outfit troops with new U.S.-style camouflage uniforms is a waste of tax dollars as the current Canadian-developed pattern is still among the best available, says one of the world’s top designers of military camouflage.

In addition, the current Canadian camouflage pattern is owned by the federal government so there is no need to pay royalties for its use and the material is strictly controlled, preventing other forces from using it, said Guy Cramer, president of HyperStealth Biotechnology Corp., a firm that has provided camouflage patterns to 40 different nations.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #938
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #939
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're going top spend a half billion dollars on new uniforms which is a postive, however we're going to spend a half a billion dollars because Vance wants to use and pay royalties on the US Multi-cam instead of using the Canadian developed cammo pattern.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...flage-designer
CADPAT is superior to Multicam, I really don’t understand Vance’s end game here.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #940
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was going to say that as well, and with computer designed cammo patterns I don't really think that there's that much of an improvement.

Its a silly waste of money to me.