Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 1 0.32%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Gawdin, Glenn 6 1.91%
Gillies, Jon 230 73.25%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 24 7.64%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 46 14.65%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 5 1.59%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 2 0.64%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #21
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
If Gillies outplays Rittich, the only way he is getting claimed is if another team has a backup get injured. They have to carry him on their roster all year, and the moment he gets waived, the Flames can just get him back if they want
I see your point, but I doubt that the flames are ready to expose their goalie depth by potentially losing Rittich. I mean, if I was in the same division as the flames, and I know that there are alot of ifs surrounding Calgary's goal tending, I would easily consider grabbing Rittich and trading my backup for draft picks. Or moving my own waiver exempt goalie down.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #22
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I see your point, but I doubt that the flames are ready to expose their goalie depth by potentially losing Rittich. I mean, if I was in the same division as the flames, and I know that there alot of ifs surrounding Calgary's goal tending, I would easily consider grabbing Rittich and trading my backup for draft picks. Or moving my own waiver exempt goalie down.
If Gillies outplays Rittich, and Rittich is lost, then Parsons gets more AHL starts, one of McDonald/Schneider/AHL veteran backs him up, and then there are still guys for the ECHL in the pipeline (whoever is not in the AHL from the list above)

Rittich arrived free, and while I do not want to lose him for nothing, let;s not pretend that keeping him on the team at the expense of both the on ice product and the development of other goalies is the smart play. If he isn't the best option at backup, you waive and hope for the best, as if Gillies secures that NHL spot, with Parsons also developing, Rittich likely is gone the following year anyway.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #23
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If Gillies outplays Rittich, and Rittich is lost, then Parsons gets more AHL starts, one of McDonald/Schneider/AHL veteran backs him up, and then there are still guys for the ECHL in the pipeline (whoever is not in the AHL from the list above)

Rittich arrived free, and while I do not want to lose him for nothing, let;s not pretend that keeping him on the team at the expense of both the on ice product and the development of other goalies is the smart play. If he isn't the best option at backup, you waive and hope for the best, as if Gillies secures that NHL spot, with Parsons also developing, Rittich likely is gone the following year anyway.
I just don't think there was anything between Rittich or Gilles that really separated one from the other last year. With everything hanging on smith at the age of 37, and no heir apperant, it would be counter culture from what we have seen from Treliving to make a decision without additional information to go from. The easiest course of action to start the year would be to send Gillies to the AHL, keep Rittich up, and wait for more information before making a decision. I don't think camp is going to make the decision either way.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The crappy thing is waiver eligibility.

Rittich can't go down without risk, Gillies can. Hopefully it doesn't cloud judgement too much.
What team do you see will keep Rittich on their NHL roster for the whole season?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What team do you see will keep Rittich on their NHL roster for the whole season?
Vegas could grab Rittich and move subban to the AHL. No harm, no foul. It weakens a divisional rival, and gives you a bonus asset. Rittich's save percentage last year was already better then subban's. And LA has 35 year old Peter Budaj as their backup who hasn't had a better save percentage then Rittich since 2015-2016. So there are two teams in our division.

Edit: the Winnipeg jets also have Laurent Brossoit as their backup goalie. So they would look at it hard.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 07-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies for me. I've been voting Foo since round three.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easy choice this round. Brett Pollock.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 07-16-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Freddie Hamilton got claimed.

There's always a risk
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This sounds just like how we lost Byron just before he broke out. Do not want.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #30
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

E2!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #31
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Rittich is currently is the best option at backup within our system.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 07-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #32
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sorry, why are we waiving Rittich? Not only was he better in the NHL than Gillies, but why on earth would you waive him before trying to trade him?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #33
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Vegas could grab Rittich and move subban to the AHL. No harm, no foul. It weakens a divisional rival, and gives you a bonus asset. Rittich's save percentage last year was already better then subban's. And LA has 35 year old Peter Budaj as their backup who hasn't had a better save percentage then Rittich since 2015-2016. So there are two teams in our division.

Edit: the Winnipeg jets also have Laurent Brossoit as their backup goalie. So they would look at it hard.
No harm no foul? Subban was 13-4-2 for Vegas. Gillies or Rittich having that kind of winning record and either one would be penciled in for 40 games on the Flames.

Subban's sv % was .910 Rittich was .904 ... I know Vegas played better team defense than the Flames but there is no save % adjustment that I know of.

King's back up was and is likely Jack Campbell.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No harm no foul? Subban was 13-4-2 for Vegas. Gillies or Rittich having that kind of winning record and either one would be penciled in for 40 games on the Flames.

Subban's sv % was .910 Rittich was .904 ... I know Vegas played better team defense than the Flames but there is no save % adjustment that I know of.

King's back up was and is likely Jack Campbell.
Do you read your own posts?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #35
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Do you read your own posts?
He should have been banned years ago, no point in engaging
Old 07-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #36
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Sorry, why are we waiving Rittich? Not only was he better in the NHL than Gillies, but why on earth would you waive him before trying to trade him?
You waive him because there is very little chance that if he isn't as good as Gillies after the preseason and the start of the NHL season there is very little chance that another team would think so highly of him that they would bump their current backup for the flames 3rd best goalie.

The claiming team has to keep him on their NHL roster.

If he is better than Gillies then Gillies gets sent down. If Gillies is better then Gillies should stay with the Flames and not be sent down.

The Flames are not spending to the cap max and not going to play their best backup.

Last year at the trade deadline Brad T. wrote off the season by not bringing in a NHL calibre goalie and going with Rittich/Gillies . Any kind of NHL level goal tending and the Flames should have made the playoffs ... or at least been a factor in the playoff race.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You didn't answer my question, though. Why not just trade him if you think Gillies will do his job and that there are too many goalies in the system?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #38
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

coin toss between Gillies and Klimchuk for me. Took Klimchuk in the end, I think he has the potential to be a full-time NHLer soon. Had hoped to see a bit more of Gillies last season, hopefully he can take a step forward this year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #39
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh.... Don't think anyone that's left will become much of an impact NHLer. Our prospect pool is starting to look incredibly shallow.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You didn't answer my question, though. Why not just trade him if you think Gillies will do his job and that there are too many goalies in the system?
Because things can change. And because injuries.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote