Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Burke: Team looked hard at Iginla; not considering bringing him back

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/b...k-sam-bennett/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnet View Post
Burke said his Calgary Flames took a long, hard look at not only Jaromir Jagr but also 40-year-old Flames icon Jarome Iginla—a potential signing of “a very serious veteran player” that would have rocked Alberta.

“We never made an offer to Jarome Iginla, but I think a player of that stature who had accomplished so much as a Calgary Flame, we spent a lot of time on him,” Burke told Sportsnet Monday.

“Is there a way that Jarome can contribute to our hockey club? Would it knock a kid out of a box? That’s the problem when you sign a 40-plus-year-old player. You’re taking a job from a younger player. Is that a sensible thing to do?”

Iginla, who is recovering from minor surgery, remains an unrestricted free agent. His preference is to land an NHL gig this winter.

Would the Flames, whose offence ranks 25th overall, still consider adding Iginla? “No,” Burke said. “We’re not looking at changes in that way.”
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Post-apex Jarome isnt gonna help a team needing offense.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

correct decision. Head over heart.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Now we can all move on.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the rumours did in fact have some traction
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames offence seems fine these days
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully Iggy signs the one day deal at some point to retire as a Flame, but that's all the team should be doing.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason it makes me happy that the rumors that were swirling had some truth to them.

I was probably the most ardent supporter of bringing Iggy back, but you can't mess with what we have now. It would have been magical to have him for a run, but that ship sailed 17 games ago.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really the only reason I would want Iginla signed, other than a retirement contract, would be to avoid him wearing ugly orange.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey imagine that, the management team actually considers the impact of veteran signings on young players.

Reading some of the posters on here, you would think management hates young players and loves veterans, despite the fact that the Flames are one of the youngest teams in the league and that includes Jagr dragging the average up.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the door really slammed shut when we signed Jagr. No room for him at this point unless maybe Brouwer suffers an injury bad enough to be on LTIR for a while.

Iginla might be passable as the 4th line policeman. But I'm pretty sure he isn't on the friendliest of terms with Versteeg, who bombarded him with racial/family slurs during the playoff series with the Hawks.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think the door really slammed shut when we signed Jagr. No room for him at this point unless maybe Brouwer suffers an injury bad enough to be on LTIR for a while.

Iginla might be passable as the 4th line policeman. But I'm pretty sure he isn't on the friendliest of terms with Versteeg, who bombarded him with racial/family slurs during the playoff series with the Hawks.
Um, come again? This is news to me.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is our offence still 25th? Think we would've made up some ground the past 4 games.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pierre McGuire referenced the verbal abuse received by Iginla several times when he was between the benches during that series. He mentioned that the stuff being hurled at Iginla was the worst he had ever heard.

Now I had not ever heard it was either racial, nor oriented towards his family. Nor that it came from Versteeg.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #16
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yes, I'd like to see evidence of this.
Versteeg talks a lot of trash but I'd like to believe he is above that.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It would have been during the 09 series. That was a particularly hateful series between the teams from what I recall.

While I frown on that kinda stuff, Kris was still an upstart, wet-behind-the-ears NHL sophomore who probably didn't know better and was trying to knock one of the best players in the league at the time off his game. I can see where the reasoning came from, at the very least.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #18
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember the "incident" you are referring too, but I'd say that statement is strong enough in accusation that should be required to back that up with some facts. You can't just throw around "person X" made racial slurs unless you can prove it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #19
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would have been during the 09 series. That was a particularly hateful series between the teams from what I recall.

While I frown on that kinda stuff, Kris was still an upstart, wet-behind-the-ears NHL sophomore who probably didn't know better and was trying to knock one of the best players in the league at the time off his game. I can see where the reasoning came from, at the very least.
And you know for a fact that he did indeed do this?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I remember the "incident" you are referring too, but I'd say that statement is strong enough in accusation that should be required to back that up with some facts. You can't just throw around "person X" made racial slurs unless you can prove it.
Yeah, I'll admit can't find a source that specifies that the abuse came specifically from Versteeg, nor confirm the true nature of the comments. I'd treat it as nothing more than a rumor since this is from a decade ago and I'm merely piecing it together from memory.