Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #421
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super thrilled with the episode, and the show in general, but I am easy to please. One neat moment was when Seven made her entrance and the orchestra openly riffed on the theme to Voyager. Nice touch.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #422
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another solid episode tonight. I'm really enjoying this series.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #423
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ok, maybe I was too harsh. I think I’ll watch it again today. Generally, I have really enjoyed the series, especially the pilot and the two episodes prior to yesterday’s. One thing that was cool: the Data-like makeup on some of the synths and the yellow eyes. I thought that was a neat touch. I was having issues with suspension of disbelief, particularly around how the Borg Cube and it’s main inhabitants made it to the surface alive (shades of Generations?), how the Romulan baddie got away so easily, etc. Maybe I’m being too critical. I AM intrigued to see what they do next week so that’s good enough on my end. Seeing Stewart and Spiner do their thing was the highlight for me.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #424
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It has become Picard: Mass Effect. ugh.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #425
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know it was an ok episode. To me though the last two weeks it felt like the pacing was completely thrown off, suddenly they're in a hyper rush to push things along.

In one episode we had one of the Synth go absolute evil, kill one of her own, free the prisoner, become harbringer (I used that intentionally) and we have a monolithic super synthetic species out there that's going to come in to kick every ones ass. Even the quick turn by Spiner's character. In one episode he went from a bridge between Human's and Synths, to a torch carrying kill all humans. Agnes did the double flip in a hurry as well.

They had some nice moments in this and some nice acting. But they didn't need to rush this and in a sense it made Picard look like a foolish idealist.

They had two seasons, they could have stretched this turn by the Synth out some.

Also it was way to convienient and fast that suddenly one of the Synths knows mind melds, which if you look at the whole of Star Trek, Mind melds and Neck Pinches can only be done by Vulcans. Having a Synth do it bothered me a lot, and having the vision as you humans are too dumb to understand this, and then completely going back to the whole initial human vision of destruction was a bit silly.

I still like the series, but man, this episode and the last one have abandoned story telling for rushed resolutions.

And we know the Borg Cube showing up, while it looked awesome, was the ulimate in Fan services and frankly that Borg Cube should be able to completely kick the Romulan's a$$es due to its super weapons and adaptive technology, which they probably have everything that the Romulans can throw at them in their matrix.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #426
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Data knew how to nerve pinch. Spock complimented him on his technique.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #427
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I too was bothered at first with a Synthetic learning the mind meld, but then remembered that Troi could sense emotions in Data when his emotion chip was installed. So maybe there is a way for a synthetic to have telepathic abilities if you understood enough about the biological functions that allow telepathy in the first place.

They also set up a way for Picard to survive his fatal disease in this episode. Wonder if they are going to go that route.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #428
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Also is it now Star Trek canon that in every Android sibling pair, one of them is the evil one?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #429
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Data knew how to nerve pinch. Spock complimented him on his technique.
Good point! Those Unification episodes are a fun revisit. I love the Data/Spock material.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #430
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Also is it now Star Trek canon that in every Android sibling pair, one of them is the evil one?
So which is/was evil Soji or Dahj?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #431
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did Romulan guy get away? The cube was like, 10km away. Did they have no transport at robot-ville? They were just like, oh hey, he murdered this one and just ran off. Oh well!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #432
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finished episode 4. I'm finally catching up..

I dont know what people in here were complaining about earlier on, the series has been interesting and more than watchable. Most notable thing has been the casting, I like a lot of the characters and they're portrayed well. Even though the two baddies are caricature-y, they're fun. My family was into it.

I guess trekkies take their ST seriously, and hold a high/specific bar.

Could undoubtedly do with less lens flare though. JJs worst contribution..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #433
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Borg cubes are among my favourite sci-fi ships and it annoyed me how much they shrunk it this episode. That thing is 28 cubic kilometres in volume, there’s probably more space in there than a large metropolitan area...and they run into everyone 2 minutes after walking in. I realize there’s not much time left but still, they are skipping over a lot of opportunities for world building and futuristic awe.

I’m always thinking about vs. matchups in sci-fi and comics, and now I’m wondering what would happen if it was the cube (fully self repaired) against the 218 warbirds straight up. Those obviously aren’t wolf 359 ships and tactics (Mirandas line up one at a time!) but you’d think after the first few disruptor shots, they wouldn’t be able to scratch the thing even if they were rotating frequencies. Unless they got lucky and managed to hit the king hippo weak spot like First Contact?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #434
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaracci_31 View Post
Good point! Those Unification episodes are a fun revisit. I love the Data/Spock material.

I hated Tasha Yar so much, but every Sela episode was lit. I sincerely hope she shows up.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #435
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Borg cubes are among my favourite sci-fi ships and it annoyed me how much they shrunk it this episode. That thing is 28 cubic kilometres in volume, there’s probably more space in there than a large metropolitan area...and they run into everyone 2 minutes after walking in. I realize there’s not much time left but still, they are skipping over a lot of opportunities for world building and futuristic awe.

I’m always thinking about vs. matchups in sci-fi and comics, and now I’m wondering what would happen if it was the cube (fully self repaired) against the 218 warbirds straight up. Those obviously aren’t wolf 359 ships and tactics (Mirandas line up one at a time!) but you’d think after the first few disruptor shots, they wouldn’t be able to scratch the thing even if they were rotating frequencies. Unless they got lucky and managed to hit the king hippo weak spot like First Contact?

One Cube pretty much crushed the entire Federation Fleet at Wolf-359. I doubt very much that old Jean-Luc would give them the secret of the vulnerable bathroom. The only thought is that the Cube is heavily damaged but it can still self repair. I expect that this season will end the threat of the Romulans hard and next year will be the threat of the Harbingers from Galaxy X.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #436
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Realistically, every single Alpha/Beta quadrant race has spent almost 30+ years thinking of and planning ways to deal with the Borg. From information and tech brought back by Voyager; to reaching out to the species of Fluidic Space; to just coming up with their own ways of dealing with them it's pretty easy to think that the massive ass ####ing done at Wolf 359 could never happen again at the hands of one single cube.

That being said, I think that of the 218 Warbirds, not many of them make it out vs a fully operational Cube.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #437
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the current year should be close to when old Janeway went back in time bearing gifts of ablative armour and transphasic torpedoes, which turned cubes inside out with a single shot. in fact those technologies would have been developed even earlier because Voyager came home sooner with Insaneway's temporal violations.

but possibly the Romulan crisis stalled warship development and we're just looking at the same old disruptors and plasma torpedo birds. I hope this final battle is depicted in a clearer manner than Discovery's finale, with the 5000 objects firing everything everywhere.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're going to see the romulan's butts get kicked, when the Federation fleet shows up. Then just as the last rumulan ship blinks out and victory is assured, the Uber Synthetics from sector X show up and Annihilate the Federation fleet. Then the USS Normandy 2 shows up commanded by Captain Sheppard shows up and destroys the Uber Synthetics.

Oh wait

Old 03-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #439
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that is kind of bothering me is that those 218 warbirds must be the entirety of what the Romulans have left, right? Their planet was destroyed, billions of lives lost making them an endangered species, yet they somehow have enough trained personnel to man and operate 218 ships?

Old 03-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #440
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How big is the Star Empire though...the home planet being destroyed should be bad for sure, but I had assumed they owned dozens of other systems. Kind of like nuking Washington DC or NYC; a huge loss but that in its own shouldn’t put them on the brink of extinction.

That’s why it’s also complicated to have the Federation decide they’re pulling out of assistance because 19 planets or whatever disagreed. Wouldn’t that still be a small minority of the whole organization? Does that mean the other few hundred species were like eh, this genocide is ok, that old bald dude is irritating anyhow.