Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #21
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The guy has shown to wilt when playing starting goalie minutes. What ever you pay him, you have to make sure you have another goalie who you can ride for a week or two stretch to allow Rittich to recharge.

Except for when it has been. Rittich has cost the team at least 6 points in a very short stretch before the net got given to Talbot for a week or so
How many goalies after Kipper have wilted even without pressure when play in front of the Flames net? I think you put some of the best goalies in here or in Edmonton, you'd probably see the same results. I keep saying the goalie is not the end all and be all for a team - there's a whole frickin team with players in front of the goalie that need to do their parts as well!
CSharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except for when it has been. Rittich has cost the team at least 6 points in a very short stretch before the net got given to Talbot for a week or so
Umm, what 6 points are those? He lost two in a row on Dec. 29 and 31. he won the two games before with great outings, and he won the game after (albeit not with a great save %). That's when Talbot took a few games.

That's a total of 4 points in this "stretch".

ETA: I also take it that since two of the points Rittich "cost" were in the Vancouver game, you think that Calgary should have won that game, but for a poor performance by Rittich.

Last edited by GioforPM; 01-17-2020 at 02:00 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #23
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 year term, no more.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's 24th in GAA (Behind Talbot)
21st in SV % (Behind Talbot)
7th in Wins
5th in GP and Saves

He was amazing last night but has moments where he has struggled. Really a perfect situation of see what he evolves into over the next year and a half.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #25
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's too early to even begin speculating what type of contract he might be entitled to, since he isn't even eligible to be re-signed until the end of this season.

What happens if he takes Calgary deep into the playoffs?

What happens if he's even better at the start of next season?

What happens if he pulls an Elliot come playoff time?

His worth come negotiation time can be completely different depending on the answers to those questions.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Before we rush in to sign him just remember the big contract they gave Roman Turek after his hot start.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
Before we rush in to sign him just remember the big contract they gave Roman Turek after his hot start.
There will be no roman turek bashing in this forum, blasphemy.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy has shown to wilt when playing starting goalie minutes. What ever you pay him, you have to make sure you have another goalie who you can ride for a week or two stretch to allow Rittich to recharge.

Is vancouverpuck down?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #29
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Is any goalie money 100 -- or even 90 -- percent of the time? Kirprusoff had lots of slumps and off nights. My opinion Fact remains that the Flames are 10-12 points lighter without Rittich this year.
This. And too soon to start worrying.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #30
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t shop for groceries when you’re hungry. And don’t thin/talkk about your goalies contract for at least 6 weeks after he had a great performance in Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #31
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
There will be no roman turek bashing in this forum, blasphemy.
I remember when Turek took the reins in Calgary, I was bartending in Bragg Creek. The manager at the bar started a promo to get people in on game days, bottles of beer for whatever turek's GAA was to start the game. After awhile the manager figured he was going to get fired, he was selling so many bottles of beer for 1.23 for awhile. I cleaned up on tips Turek is okay in my books too!
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #32
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are probably 10-15 goalies in the league that are definitely better and another 5 or so that he is similar to so I expect he should get a middling salary if he was to be able to sign at this exact moment. But he cannot sign until July 1st at the moment. Whatever the 15th highest paid goalie is paid is what I would say he is worth at this time.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #33
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it was Wills on the radio today who said "He just keeps getting better every year, what more can you ask of a player?" and that's a fair point.

The idea that Rittich "cost" the team points at all is bogus, every goalie has ups and downs, and the team has to play harder on the nights that the goalie isn't great. There's been a lot more nights this year and last where they won because Rittich was solid or better than nights where you can point at him and say "Wow he sucked tonight."

What Kipper brought was crazy consistency, he was just there night in and out (in my memory anyway) and BSD is a little more manic than that, but I think he's a hell of a good goalie and I hope he plays a long time for the club.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
He's 24th in GAA (Behind Talbot)
21st in SV % (Behind Talbot)
7th in Wins
5th in GP and Saves

He was amazing last night but has moments where he has struggled. Really a perfect situation of see what he evolves into over the next year and a half.
I think every goalie in the league, even the ones near the top in SV%, will have a bad stretch of games at some point. i remember the year Carey Price won the Hart and Vezina and Pearson... and he got lit up in the playoffs nonetheless.

A better question is this - when Rittich does give up goals, what is the game situation? This is my subjective take - though I could probably look up the data later - but Rittich has a knack for keeping games close. Whether that's keeping a tie as the team is getting peppered, or keeping a lead in a one goal game, or keeping the team in games just enough for them to tie it. I'm not denying that numbers have their value - far from it - but I do find a lot of Rittich's goals against - perhaps moreso in previous years than this - tend to come when he has enough of a goal cushion that he can afford to give up a 3rd goal.

Now - did Rittich have a stretch recently where he was letting in poor goals? Yes, and the SV% surely reflects it. But he's also had a heavy workload and it was probably to be expected that his play would dip. If the team had any ability to outscore an offnight from its goalies (as last year's team did for Softie Smith) he'd probably have more points. Despite that - this year's team is on pace for 100 points when Rittich starts and that's indicative of his ability to get points in close games.

One stat I'll toss out there, though, is quality starts. Why does it matter? Because you can have 7 great games plus a poor game and still end up with the same SV% as someone more mediocre. QS% is a measure of consistency more than SV%. The other thing I like about QS% is that it isn't skewed for goalies who see lots of rubber the way SV% is. I am of the opinion that stopping 17 of 19 shots isn't always easier than stopping 35 of 38 - but SV% would harshly ding the former goalie more whereas QS% would consider both to be quality starts - which they both are. This is doubly so when you consider context - the goalie who saw 19 shots may have seen more PP shots and 5v5 breakaways than the goalie whose team was playing collapse defense and allowing tons of perimeter 5v5 shots at the expense of other factors (offensive zone time).

This year Rittich has a mediocre QS% of .543, but his career QS% is .591 over 93 career starts and with Talbot able to soak up some workload we should probably see Rittich be a bit closer to his career trend. For some comparision to starting goalies currently in their prime:

Braden Holtby has a QS% of .582 over his career (RS+PO)

Carey Price has a QS% .578 over his career

Ben Bishop has a QS% of .607 over his career

Andrei Vasilevskiy has a QS% of .562 over his career

Overall, I think it's easy to get myopic about your own team's goalie's percieved consistency. But all goalies have up nights and down nights. Up seasons and down seasons.We just don't notice from afar.

I trust Rittich on average. He seems to have a knack for winning - 54-26-13 is essentially 107 point hockey over his career and it's not as if we've been a high scoring team in 2017-18 or 2019-20 nor a necessarily well-defending team for much of 2018-19.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-17-2020 at 09:47 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:51 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I think the point is, without Rittich's heroics so far this year, we're not even in the conversation for the playoffs anymore. For the first time in a really long time, goaltending has not been the problem.

Rittich's an obvious talent. But he's in his late 20s. I'm just wondering about how his unique situation might translate into dollars. I bet he is too ...
Actually, Talbot’s stats are better.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Actually, Talbot’s stats are better.
Some are.

His SV% is better (.922 vs .915)
His SV% in games up 1 goal is better (.948 vs .911) (but we almost never lead...lol)
His MDSV% is better (.904 vs .885)

but also:

His games started is fewer (14 vs 35)
His Point% is worse (.500 vs .614)
His QualityStart% is worse (.500 vs .543)
His SV% in tie games is worse (.899 vs .910)
His SV% in games down 1 goal is worse (.910 vs .918)
His SV% on the PK is worse (.824 vs .893)
His HDSV% is worse (.821 vs .863)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 01-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #37
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Some are.

His SV% is better (.922 vs .915)
His SV% in games up 1 goal is better (.948 vs .911) (but we almost never lead...lol)
His MDSV% is better (.904 vs .885)

but also:

His games started is fewer (14 vs 35)
His Point% is worse (.500 vs .614)
His QualityStart% is worse (.500 vs .543)
His SV% in tie games is worse (.899 vs .910)
His SV% in games down 1 goal is worse (.910 vs .918)
His SV% on the PK is worse (.824 vs .893)
His HDSV% is worse (.821 vs .863)
Ya but, what about LDSV% while being up 1 in the 2nd period in an away game on a Tuesday?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #38
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ya but, what about LDSV% while being up 1 in the 2nd period in an away game on a Tuesday?
Hilarious.

On a more serious note, LDSV% is basically a noise stat.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:00 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

In looking at the ATL I saw some Leaf fans saying their goalie is bad. I think Andersson is a quality starter, so that’s an indication of how people see their own goalies sometimes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In looking at the ATL I saw some Leaf fans saying their goalie is bad. I think Andersson is a quality starter, so that’s an indication of how people see their own goalies sometimes.
Andersson is most likely exhausted. He has played a tonne of hockey over the last three years, and these heavy workloads seem to wear goalies down over time. It happened to Talbot, and it is happening now to Martin Jones, Carey Price and MA Fleury.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: