Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #41
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The Flames have had their chances with adding elite right shooting forwards to the core in Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon and more recently Mark Stone, next up, William Nylander, Brayden Point, Patrik Laine and Travis Konecny.

Come again? I feel like there is a joke here that I am missing..?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember before the 2014 draft lottery, a lot of write-ups had the Flames taking the right shooting Sam Reinhart or right shooting William Nylander and most were quite content with that.
Well, the Flames never had a shot at Reinhart - he went second. Can you imagine the commotion if he'd gone to Nylander instead of Bennett, who was number one ranked NA skater as late as April? Nylander wasn't even the top ranked Euro skater - he was behind Kapanen. That year there was Ekblad and the 3 centres.

Quote:
The Flames have had their chances with adding elite right shooting forwards to the core in Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon and more recently Mark Stone, next up, William Nylander, Brayden Point, Patrik Laine and Travis Konecny.
I'm not sure how you suggest the Flames had a shot at Mackinnon, Seguin, or Laine. Treliving tried to get Stone but wouldn't sell the farm (and Vegas isn't exactly lighting it up since he got there). Nylander - see above. Point was a guy everyone passed on twice. You should also include every other later RHS draft pick who blossomed, from Pasternak to Arvidsson to Labanc
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, the Flames never had a shot at Reinhart - he went second. Can you imagine the commotion if he'd gone to Nylander instead of Bennett, who was number one ranked NA skater as late as April? Nylander wasn't even the top ranked Euro skater - he was behind Kapanen. That year there was Ekblad and the 3 centres.

I'm not sure how you suggest the Flames had a shot at Mackinnon, Seguin, or Laine. Treliving tried to get Stone but wouldn't sell the farm (and Vegas isn't exactly lighting it up since he got there). Nylander - see above. Point was a guy everyone passed on twice. You should also include every other later RHS draft pick who blossomed, from Pasternak to Arvidsson to Labanc
Feaster allegedly offered all of their picks in that draft to get Makinnon.

We almost landed Seguin from Boston but didnt want to part with the 1st rounder + +.

Hes not wrong.

Laine I dont recall anything about CGY trying to trade up. In fact I think they were locked and set on Juolevi. Tkachuk was the happiest of accidents.

Last edited by dammage79; 01-20-2020 at 02:56 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

We almost landed Seguin from Boston but didnt want to part with the 1st rounder + +.

Hes not wrong.

Laine I dont recall anything about CGY trying to trade up. In fact I think they were locked and set on Juolevi. Tkachuk was the happiest of accidents.
I find the Seguin one hard to believe, since the trade that happened was so different. The Mackinnon one is silly because that's not being close to getting Mackinnon, it's making an offer that anyone would know wasn't going to be accepted, since, as was said, Mackinnon was the best prospect in years.

At the end of the day, I don't consider those to be the Flames "having their chance" since it wasn't going to happen. Plus, the OP was about Treliving anyway, and all of these except for Laine predate Treliving.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look, if you guys aren't going to start taking this BOD thread seriously, I'm of the opinion that we should just wrap this thing up.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #46
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's one mock pre-draft lottery that had Flames with Reinhart, there were also others...

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Sam Bennett
4. Sam Reinhart

https://puckprose.com/2014/06/22/201...hl-mock-draft/

Last edited by David Struch; 01-20-2020 at 04:34 PM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #47
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here's one mock pre-draft lottery that had Flames with Reinhart, there were also others...

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Sam Bennett
4. Sam Reinhart

What am I missing here?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Leon Draisaitl
3. Sam Bennett
4. Sam Reinhart

You realize because Calgary picked 4th they didn’t really get to choose Reinhart. They totally would have - he’s a legacy Flame.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #49
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Hes not wrong.

We were in on Seguin, but it wasn’t “adding him to the core”. It was giving up our core for Seguin. The rumored deal was Gaudreau (still a prospect at the time) and our first (turned into Monahan).
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post: