Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #141
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

196 back right now, but he will need do a lot of damage to that number the remaining games this year and next season. The speculation is he will probably sign 4 year contract after he becomes an UFA after next season, to align with the five year contract extension Backstrom just signed. If that is the case he has the rest of this season and five full seasons to take a crack at it. If he is close I could see him coming back, health permitting.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #142
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just happy I got to see Ovi in his prime throughout his whole career. Gretz, and even Lemieux, I was a bit too young to watch them in their primes. I'll settle for Crosby and Ovi :-).
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #143
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think he had to average something like 33 goals a season until he was 40 to break the record. He's already blown past it this year, everything else is just gravy and making it more and more achievable. Guy could put up a 60 goal season at 34 years old. That's crazy.
Nothing at this point is gravy. I am pulling for Ovechkin so hard but at his age, in this game, it could all go so quickly. He's blown past your mark this season but the recrod is still going to be tough.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are days when I'm so happy that guy got a Cup. Just an incredible player.

I hope he does it, I hope he breaks all the records and becomes the NHL's All-Time Leading Goal-Scorer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #145
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Changing gears a little bit.

I wonder who is the next player to realistically get to 500.

I think Crosby 45 goals away and 32 years old will make it to 500. Stamkos is 83 away and is 29 years old. I think he makes it too, but I doubt either of them get past 550.

Doubtful Patrick Kane at 381 goals makes it, as he's already 31.
The next realistic candidate I think is Mathews with 148 goals in 265 games.

McDavid has 157 goals in 340 games, so he is already "off the pace" as it were, but he's got the best chance of the rest.

Just goes to show how special it is for this guy to get to 600, and now 700. Talking about 800 is just dizzying.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #146
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

OV how now scored eleven 40+ goal seasons. 11. Insane.

Remember how cool it was when Iggy scored twelve 30+ goal seasons? Imagine being a tier higher. Incredible accomplishment.

34 years old and on pace for 62 goals. His career average goals/season is exactly 50. Remarkable.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #147
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Nothing at this point is gravy. I am pulling for Ovechkin so hard but at his age, in this game, it could all go so quickly. He's blown past your mark this season but the recrod is still going to be tough.
Oh totally, more just saying if he can get 50 or even 60 this season, and next season, we might only be talking about a couple 20-25 goal seasons in his twilight years to get it done. If Selanne can put up 25-30 goal seasons as a 40-year old, no reason why Ovechkin can't.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #148
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus, what makes me a bit more optimistic about Ovy keeping his scoring going longer is that he's not relying on speed to score his goals. His shot should still be there when he's older. To this point, goalies haven't been able to solve his one timer, so I'm hoping he can keep it up for another 5 or 6 seasons.

Was talking to a friend. If you were a goalie in a meaningless game and had the chance to let in Ovi's record breaking goal, would you do it? Lol, you'd be immortalized along with Ovi in highlights and pictures forever.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #149
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

(Very stupid) Question that just popped into my head reading about Ovechkin on TSN and in this thread.

Does he get tested somewhat regularly for doping?

Not to suggest anything is afoul, but he is Russian, and seems to not be slowing down with age. I’d assume there is proper testing, but someone here must know the NHL drug testing policy and if there’d be any way around it.

Edit- and I’ll clarify before I’m jumped on in an Ovechkin appreciation thread. I don’t think he’s doping, I’m just wondering what the drug testing policy is and if it could even be a possibility.

Last edited by Kidder; 02-05-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #150
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
(Very stupid) Question that just popped into my head reading about Ovechkin on TSN and in this thread.

Does he get tested somewhat regularly for doping?

Not to suggest anything is afoul, but he is Russian, and seems to not be slowing down with age. I’d assume there is proper testing, but someone here must know the NHL drug testing policy and if there’d be any way around it.

Edit- and I’ll clarify before I’m jumped on in an Ovechkin appreciation thread. I don’t think he’s doping, I’m just wondering what the drug testing policy is and if it could even be a possibility.
lol
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #151
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Athletes have options other than performance enhancing substances these days. What's to stop him from getting stem cell treatments in the off season? I think the current generation of players have a lot better options to extend their playing careers than even a decade ago.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #152
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Changing gears a little bit.

I wonder who is the next player to realistically get to 500.

I think Crosby 45 goals away and 32 years old will make it to 500. Stamkos is 83 away and is 29 years old. I think he makes it too, but I doubt either of them get past 550.

Doubtful Patrick Kane at 381 goals makes it, as he's already 31.
The next realistic candidate I think is Mathews with 148 goals in 265 games.

McDavid has 157 goals in 340 games, so he is already "off the pace" as it were, but he's got the best chance of the rest.

Just goes to show how special it is for this guy to get to 600, and now 700. Talking about 800 is just dizzying.
Monahan could hit it if he plays 1400 games and remains consistent. It's definitely not impossible.

Out of those I think Matthews and McDavid will for sure make it to 500. After that Pastranak has a good shot.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #153
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Monahan could hit it if he plays 1400 games and remains consistent. It's definitely not impossible.

Out of those I think Matthews and McDavid will for sure make it to 500. After that Pastranak has a good shot.
Well I don't think anything is "for sure". Crosby, as good as he is, is still not at 500. Malkin won't make it and he is a great player.

I think Mathews is the only player with a decent chance (other than Crosby and Stamkos). McDavid will need longevity in his career since he is not primarily a goal scorer.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote