Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #1201
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had a few K to blow on a watch these days, it would be on a Zenith. Most watches look better in photos than in person, and I always thought Zenith was the opposite. That and El Primero is perhaps the coolest name for a movement ever.

And yes, a total watch-guy watch....no layman would ever buy a watch that most people think is from a brand that makes televisions.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #1202
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah El Primero is a pretty good name. This is pretty cool too.

http://watchestobuy.com/zenith-a386-el-primero-1969/

$10,750, so not exactly for the faint of wallet, but rad nonetheless.

Someone above was looking for a place to buy a vintage Omega and that watchestobuy.com has several dozen for sale. I've never bought anything through them myself, but I know they are based in Canada. Prices are in US dollars and that's gotta sting, but you could avoid all the pleasant duties and added fees that are inserted into your rectum when you buy something like this from the States.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #1203
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Nice. Where did you pick it up and for how much?
Ashford is the best place to buy Zeniths if you are okay with grey market.

I paid $4500 USD for it all-in, when dollar was close to par. Felt like I stole it.

Calgary Jewellers etc are asking $12k or so for them I think.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #1204
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If I had a few K to blow on a watch these days, it would be on a Zenith. Most watches look better in photos than in person, and I always thought Zenith was the opposite. That and El Primero is perhaps the coolest name for a movement ever.

And yes, a total watch-guy watch....no layman would ever buy a watch that most people think is from a brand that makes televisions.
The El Primero is a crazy movement, if you ever want to go read the history.

Rolex used the movement in the Daytona for years, until they replaced it with their own movement.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #1205
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With the Canadian dollar hitting new lows, have local watch shops raised prices since earlier in the year? Are they planning on raising them anytime soon?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #1206
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
With the Canadian dollar hitting new lows, have local watch shops raised prices since earlier in the year? Are they planning on raising them anytime soon?
I'm interested to know this as well for when I visit Canada. I might find myself a nice deal.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #1207
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

you can get deals now. In Calgary, many places are giving discounts. I just bought a tag from birks and they are giving 15%. I haven't really seen the price increase yet.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #1208
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm visiting Japan at the moment, so I had to take the opportunity to check out in-person a watch I've been lusting over photos of for the past few years, the Grand Seiko SBGA011 (aka "The Snowflake"). I should have known that I'd never be able to take it off once I got it on my wrist. Needless to say, I'm now the new owner of this guy (not my photo)...

Spoiler!

Some purists dismiss the Spring Drive as "not a true mechanical," but I can't say I really care. The smooth-sweeping second hand is just so mesmerizing and goes perfectly with the aesthetics of this watch. I'm sure I'll get watch envy again sometime, but I think/hope it will be a while this time.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #1209
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Some purists dismiss the Spring Drive as "not a true mechanical," but I can't say I really care. The smooth-sweeping second hand is just so mesmerizing and goes perfectly with the aesthetics of this watch. I'm sure I'll get watch envy again sometime, but I think/hope it will be a while this time.
I envy you. GS Spring drive is dat thing that you know you have it made.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #1210
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am wearing this bad boy this morning:

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #1211
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Seiko is really nice, congrats on the watch.

I like that Tissot, but the bracelet doesn't work for me.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1212
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by darklord700; 01-08-2016 at 12:47 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #1213
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brought this home from Brinkhaus last week and I absolutely love it. Simple and understated.

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm, reference 114300.

I have one more watch on the way right now, and I'll throw pictures of that on here when it arrives.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #1214
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so freaking jealous. But I must resist chasing dream watches.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #1215
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

More and more I'm thinking of just saving up and going for one of the default choices (hey, I'm a traditionalist) of getting a Submariner or Seamaster and having something I can wear for decades and pass on.

Sadly, the one I like the most, the Seamaster GMT in the old style with the wavy dial has been out of production for years.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #1216
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the point of this title? Watches you wear... vs. what... watches you keep on a shelf?

It should be called 'Clocks you wear' if anything, the definition of a watch is a clock that you wear so it's redundant to specify the wearing part.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #1217
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
More and more I'm thinking of just saving up and going for one of the default choices (hey, I'm a traditionalist) of getting a Submariner or Seamaster and having something I can wear for decades and pass on.

Sadly, the one I like the most, the Seamaster GMT in the old style with the wavy dial has been out of production for years.
There are plenty of great used Omegas out there to consider (you can use an aggregator like http://www.watchrecon.com/). These are watches that last for decades if taken care off, so unless you need to spend the $ for a new watch, there's no need to buy new.

And nothing wrong with going with a more traditional watch. I have a Speedmaster that is my "for life" watch, and love that it transcends any trend that may come and go. It looked great 50 years ago, and it will look great 50 years from now.

Same goes for that Rolex TorqueDog bought...that thing is timeless.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #1218
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

One guy on CanWatchCo.ca literally had Archer Watches in Ontario build him a brand new 'Bond' Seamaster from parts. Can end up being cheaper than buying brand new, but more expensive than used. Omega will service them all the same, as they don't care so long as the watch is comprised of 100% genuine parts.

Or you can always check Chrono24.com, usually a lot of selection, and if you can buy from a trusted seller, all the better. Hack&Lube: I found the Seamaster GMT with the blue wave dial you were referring to on there for $2,9xx USD, with box and papers.

I agree about traditional watches. I've had some pretty opulent stuff in my collection. Hublot Big Bang in stainless steel, AP Royal Oak Offshore, Panerai Luminors, but I got tired of them and sold them all. As Table 5 put it, they would have looked silly fifty years ago, and in fifty years they'll probably look silly again. So I decided to re-focus my collection. I needed to decide what I wanted, and flashy wasn't really it. The answer was a small collection of timeless pieces that I can wear with a suit, with jeans and a t-shirt, or anything in-between.

My three picks thus far:
- Rolex Oyster 114300 - As seen above, just lovely. Also the first luxury watch I've ever purchased brand new. It was still in the foam shipping package when I showed up.
- Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch - On its way, the discontinued 3572.50 model with hesalite front and sapphire back.
- JLC Master Grande Ultra Thin - This is next up, maybe in about four years. Preferably on a classy alligator band instead of the overbearing bracelet I've seen some of them come with.

Those all seem to fit the 'timeless' look I want, and I'll allow myself my grail watch, a Patek Phillippe Nautilus, when I turn 40. My quartz Tissot PRS-200 Chronograph, I keep that around for playing golf.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #1219
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Brought this home from Brinkhaus last week and I absolutely love it. Simple and understated.
You and I have eerily the exact same taste in cars and clocks.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #1220
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a really solid list, Torque. I feel like JLC are the ultimate in understated elegance.

I have that exact moonwatch. I'm not sure I'd spend the extra $ for the sapphire back the second time around (while interesting for the first while, you kind of forget about it), but its a nice little thing to show people if they ask about your watch, ha.