Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #81
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
The moral of the story, never be really tall and not rich.
Word. Or have big feet.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #82
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Looks like they're calling for rain this weekend. Just in time for the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

As a "fair weather" rider, 200+ kms in the rain isn't going to be as fun as I'd hoped. Last year was beautiful, 20+ weather with a light breeze. At least they got rid of that god-awful hill at the end of Saturday.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #83
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a question if any of you can provide some advice.
I just got into Triathlons last year and am looking to add Aerobars to my bike this year.
Any recommendations?

Here is my current ride
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #84
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Word. Or have big feet.
No, that sucks too. To have any hope at finding shoes I need to be in the US.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #85
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Looks like they're calling for rain this weekend. Just in time for the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

As a "fair weather" rider, 200+ kms in the rain isn't going to be as fun as I'd hoped. Last year was beautiful, 20+ weather with a light breeze. At least they got rid of that god-awful hill at the end of Saturday.
Rides like this become legendary. Dress for the weather and have fun with it.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #86
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Any suggestions for rain gear?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #87
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Well if it's light rain I highly suggest something breathable, but water resistant. I have a Race Face shell that does the trick really well, extra long sleeves, monkey thumbs, and a hood that will fit over your helmet. If it's a downpour though, it will get soaked through eventually. Riding in water proof stuff sucks though, so that's a tough call.

Get some toe caps at the least for your feet though. The mesh will be taking a ton of water off of your front tire and you're feet will be full of water pretty quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #88
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey could I get some advice from any mountain bike experts on company/make for a new hardtail, 29er mountain bike under $1400?

I would like the larger wheel so that I can ride to work, and then ride in fishcreek on the weekends. I have never purchased a serious bike before so I would like any help/advice I can get before making a big purchase.

I have called around all of the shops in Calgary for their recommendations in the price range and have broken them down under a review/$:

Bow Cycle,

2010 Norco Jubei 3, $799
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=620044&page=1

2011 Norco Jubei 2, $1229

2011 Kona Kahuna, $1099
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/k...6_1548crx.aspx

Bike Shop,
2011 Specialized Rockhopper 29er $980
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/s...6_1548crx.aspx

Ridley's,
2011 Giant XTC 2 $1350
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/g...5_1548crx.aspx

2011 Trek (Gary Fisher) Mamba $940
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/g...3_1548crx.aspx

2011 Trek X Caliber $1599
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/g...2_1548crx.aspx

Cactus Bikes

2011 Marin Alpine Trail $949
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/m...9_1548crx.aspx

A common thing I read about all of them is complaints about the forks. I have never owned a bike with shocks so I am not sure if it will be as noticeable for myself.

I am going to go buy one of these by this afternoon or tomorrow morning and would appreciate extra comments while I look through the reviews again.

Thanks guys, I know its a large request
Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #89
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:
Default Well that was Hell in a bike Basket

Well, just spent the day getting my knee figured out after probably the most mentally and physically difficult day in my life.

Day one of the Enbridge Cancer ride went awesome. Beautiful weather, not much wind, and I was making great time. Then at about km 80, in what seemed to be a 30 km long hill, with a pretty stiff crosswind, I felt a slight pain in my knee, by the time I hit the camp at km 107, I was in grimacing pain mode. Something gave way, or was seriously pulled. I looked at my cleats (part of the shoe that attached to the pedal), and realized somewhere along the way, my right cleat shifted, putting my foot in a superpronated position. For how long? who knows, but I did some pretty good damage. Thank god for the medical tent and their stock of drugs, wraps and creams to get me through the rest the day at the camp.

Woke up at 6:00 am on Sunday, and it took me 5 minutes to straighten my knee, it was pouring, and COLD. This wasn't good. I seriously contemplated bailing. Then I saw an old guy, on a weird dressed up mountain bike go through the start gate, with the survivor flag... I think his name is Bob, and he is currently undergoing cancer treatment, Bob is 70. I said if Bob is going to try this today, I have to. I re-wrapped my knee, took 5 extra strength Tylenol, and a handful for the next 4 and a half hours and just went.

By Turner Valley, I was soaked to the bone, and literally on one leg. From Turner Valley, to Highway 22X (30 kms) was into a 30 kph diagonal headwind from the NW. That was the hardest 30 kms and hour and 45 minutes I have ever traveled in any way shape or form. Every single pedal stroke produced a sharp, biting pain. I was basically pushing and pulling with my left leg. It felt like my tires were made of cement. Somewhere along that stretch of Highway, I pulled up beside a lady, and she could tell I was hurting bad. She asked if I was ok, and I said, "This f@cking sucks!." And her response was ," You know what sucks more, cancer." That was all she said, and she went on past me. That statement, and those words from a stranger literally kept me going yesterday. At that moment I thought of Bob, my cousin Alana, Mikes wife Sue and his dad, my friend Megan, the guy I talked to on the roadside that survived nut cancer.. and all of the other people I know that have been affected by the disease. Also I thought of my friend George, who rides his bicycle daily, with literally... one leg. It would have been so easy to quit, and flag down a support vehicle, but I would be letting down my sponsors. I did everything in my power to compose myself emotionally, and just ignore the shots of pain that were now running up my thigh. I just kept telling myself, "Those people didn't quit, neither will I."

I took my right foot out of my shoe for about 15 km and left the shoe clipped into the pedal using the top of the shoe as a make shift platform, so I could change the angle of my foot, and try and get some relief, which unfortunately, didn't do much. I did this until the turn at 22X. I have never, in my life been so happy, to go around a corner, knowing that I finally had the wind at my back, to give me an assist home. I pulled off the road, got my foot back in my shoe, and just started cranking as hard as i could. 25-30-35-40 km/hr on the flats. That wind was a gift from god. I never knew I could pedal so hard with one leg.

Crossing that finish line was one of the most emotional experiences I have ever felt. My parents and nephew were there, along with a coworker. Embarrassingly, I kinda lost my composure when I saw them. It would have been hard enough in those conditions on the last day with a full bill of health, but on one leg for essentially 120 kms was the hardest thing I have ever had to do both physically and mentally in my life. At the same time however, it was the most fulfilling. No matter how tough my experience was though, I am sure, it was a walk in the park compared to what anyone battling the disease is going through.

Saw the doctor Monday, and luckily it is only a sprained LCL. I was pretty worried as that knee has had some problems in the past. Some anti-inflammatories, and, and a couple weeks of rest should take care of it. I fully intend to do it again next year, and signed up already. I would recommend to anyone, to take on this cause and ride. It is such an awesome experience, and I am glad to have done it. Not only will you tackle a great cause, you WILL grow as a person if you haven't done something like this before.

I learned a lot about my self on that highway on Sunday, and I am a better man for it today.

Crossing the finish line:

Finally it's over!

Last edited by pylon; 06-28-2011 at 02:10 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #90
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It was an incredible experience. This was the second time I've done the ride and plan to do it again next year.

I wasn't prepared for how cold the morning ride would be. "Space blankets" in my shoes and rubber medical gloves under my fingerless riding gloves made all the difference in the world.

Aside from the weather, I found the actual ride to be much easier than last year. I was much better trained and they cut out a huge hill on the first day. Still sore has hell.

I echo pylon's sentiment. If you're considering doing this ride you should. It's a great experience and the organizers do an amazing job. Snacks, beverages, bike mechanics, medics, lunch etc. at every break (every 20kms). Dinner and a couple free beers at the end of the first day. Breakfast before you leave and all the same amenities on your ride back.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #91
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Well, just spent the day getting my knee figured out after probably the most mentally and physically difficult day in my life.

Day one of the Enbridge Cancer ride went awesome. Beautiful weather, not much wind, and I was making great time. Then at about km 80, in what seemed to be a 30 km long hill, with a pretty stiff crosswind, I felt a slight pain in my knee, by the time I hit the camp at km 107, I was in grimacing pain mode. Something gave way, or was seriously pulled. I looked at my cleats (part of the shoe that attached to the pedal), and realized somewhere along the way, my right cleat shifted, putting my foot in a superpronated position. For how long? who knows, but I did some pretty good damage. Thank god for the medical tent and their stock of drugs, wraps and creams to get me through the rest the day at the camp...

It would have been hard enough in those conditions on the last day with a full bill of health, but on one leg for essentially 120 kms was the hardest thing I have ever had to do both physically and mentally in my life. At the same time however, it was the most fulfilling. No matter how tough my experience was though, I am sure, it was a walk in the park compared to what anyone battling the disease is going through.

Saw the doctor Monday, and luckily it is only a sprained LCL. I was pretty worried as that knee has had some problems in the past. Some anti-inflammatories, and, and a couple weeks of rest should take care of it. I fully intend to do it again next year, and signed up already. I would recommend to anyone, to take on this cause and ride. It is such an awesome experience, and I am glad to have done it. Not only will you tackle a great cause, you WILL grow as a person if you haven't done something like this before.

I learned a lot about my self on that highway on Sunday, and I am a better man for it today.
Good on ya Pylon.

Your ride sounds incredibly similar to the one I did in 2009. I had the same problem with an overpronated clip, and basically lost my left knee around km 60. The last 170 kms or so were pretty much done by my right leg, with my left foot resting on the pedal rather than clipped in. Finishing that thing was the hardest physical test I've ever experienced. I've had less luck with the knee though - it seems to have some kind of arthritis that now bothers me off and on two years later. Fortunately not enough to keep me off the bike or out of action, but enough that I won't be pushing it like that again.

I volunteered for this year's Ride, and will try to keep involved in the event, but I think I'll keep my rides to 100km/day or less from here on out
Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #92
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the bike I'm riding, which I posted on the first page, has Shimano Altus derailleurs. If I was to upgrade to a road bike with Tiagra or 105 components - would I see a noticeable difference in effort to speed? A small amount? A huge amount? Is it really nothing to do with the bike but the rider?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #93
red '00
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
So the bike I'm riding, which I posted on the first page, has Shimano Altus derailleurs. If I was to upgrade to a road bike with Tiagra or 105 components - would I see a noticeable difference in effort to speed? A small amount? A huge amount? Is it really nothing to do with the bike but the rider?
Lighter bike + better quality conpondents + knowing how to use them in the most efficiant way usually works out to a much smoother, faster feeling ride.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #94
red '00
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is a great thread, some really nice bikes posted. Whenever I'm out I like to check out people's bikes sometimes stopping and having a chat if someone's catches my eye.

Lot's of road bikes. I'm more of a mountain bike kinda guy, but I like to find that nice middle ground. Something that can hit some rough single track no problem but is also quick with great handling for simply cruising around the city checking stuff out.

Enjoy the ability to go anywhere, anytime.

My current steed. Mine has upgraded bar grips, pedals and soon to be upgraded breaks probably next season.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #95
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just bought a Norco XFR3 - I guess it's a hybrid or whatever they call it. I've been out of the biking game for a while so I'm not very knowledgeable. Intended use is bikepaths and some roads for leisure biking and commute to work.

Front Shocks With Lock to stabilize front end.
24spd shimano drive train
Cabled disk breaks
700c street wheels (continental tires)
20” frame
Weighs about 32lbs

I also bought this Swagman ST-1 bike rack. Unfortunately my Civic doesn't have a hitch on it so I had to compromise with a trunk mount. I was a bit nervous driving around with it yesterday, not gonna lie.

Does anyone know what the cost would be to get a hitch installed on my Civic? Would consider upgrading to hitch bike rack if the cost is reasonable.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #96
red '00
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I'm at it i might as well post a question and get some opinions. Only problem with my bike is over the last year and a half I've noticed some oil build-up on my forks, on one side more than the other.

I figured the seals just need to be replaced, but decided to email Trek about it anyway. They said it's normal, called it "weeping lines" or something like that. However I've never had a big problem with this on past bikes, and the one side seems like a bit too much build-up, sometimes with big chunks building up and having to be wiped off every now and then.

Now, my LBS took a look at it last year and gave me the runaround. Told me it should be replaced, told me they'd order me in a new one but it could take up to a year. Never did get a phone call, and when I enquired about my part they had no idea what I was talking about. No longer my choice in bike shops.

So, "weeping lines", simple seal problem, or serious issue that requires entire fork replacement? I'm still under the original warrenty, but I don't want to put the bike on the shelf for months.

Last edited by red '00; 07-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #97
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Has anybody seen any smokin' deals on road bikes in the $1,000 price range lately? I have a mountain bike right now but I want to go faster.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #98
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red '00 View Post
While I'm at it i might as well post a question and get some opinions. Only problem with my bike is over the last year and a half I've noticed some oil build-up on my forks, on one side more than the other.

I figured the seals just need to be replaced, but decided to email Trek about it anyway. They said it's normal, called it "weeping lines" or something like that. However I've never had a big problem with this on past bikes, and the one side seems like a bit too much build-up, sometimes with big chunks building up and having to be wiped off every now and then.

Now, my LBS took a look at it last year and gave me the runaround. Told me it should be replaced, told me they'd order me in a new one but it could take up to a year. Never did get a phone call, and when I enquired about my part they had no idea what I was talking about. No longer my choice in bike shops.

So, "weeping lines", simple seal problem, or serious issue that requires entire fork replacement? I'm still under the original warrenty, but I don't want to put the bike on the shelf for months.
It's normal. I get them on my DH quite a bit, mainly due to lube around the forks travelling in and out of the seals. If you start getting A LOT of buildup (or lube running down your forks) it's a problem.

If you're really worried you can change the seals yourself, it's not that complicated and seals are cheap. That or take your bike to COP, they're the best in the city at fixing things on the cheap, and within a few days.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #99
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Oh, I should also mention. If you're forks are bottoming out really easily and they are adjusted to the stiffest setting, the seals are probably gone.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #100
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Has anybody seen any smokin' deals on road bikes in the $1,000 price range lately? I have a mountain bike right now but I want to go faster.
Bow Cycle has a sale going right now actually. Check their website to see what's going on.

The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread