Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 0 0%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zaigulin 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 0 0%
Dillon Dube 10 3.08%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 0 0%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.31%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 4 1.23%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Juuso Valimaki 301 92.62%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Matias Emilio Pettersen 1 0.31%
Matthew Phillips 0 0%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Oliver Kylington 7 2.15%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 1 0.31%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Was curious so I went back and looked. The Monahan year he won with only 45% of the vote! https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=129540

Bennett had the biggest landslide victory at 96% of the vote. Valimaki probably comes close this year.
That's fun to look back on. Baertschi and Gaudreau both got a lot of votes that year, but votes were also cast for Poirier, Sielof, Jankowski, Kanzig, Jooris, and even newly acquired Kenny Agostino. Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Are you ranking Pelletier above the other two because of his draft position? I ask because he's not having the strongest camp (understandable at his tender age), and the other two have already proven they can play at an NHL level (and both would be first rounders in a redraft IMO).
This is more of a ceiling ranking. I am trying to project what they could be if everything worked out right. For example, Dube is a hell of a player, I just don't see him being a top 6 forward though. He has a great hustle, and that will pay his bills. Likewise, I probably have Sveningsson a little high, but if his top end scoring ability flourishes at a pro level he could be an impact player moving forward, but his floor is low because he is one dimensional. If it were a floor ranking it would look very different, if it were a list of who will play the most games in the NHL next year Kylington might even go first.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This is more of a ceiling ranking. I am trying to project what they could be if everything worked out right. For example, Dube is a hell of a player, I just don't see him being a top 6 forward though. He has a great hustle, and that will pay his bills. Likewise, I probably have Sveningsson a little high, but if his top end scoring ability flourishes at a pro level he could be an impact player moving forward, but his floor is low because he is one dimensional. If it were a floor ranking it would look very different, if it were a list of who will play the most games in the NHL next year Kylington might even go first.
I think Dube has top 6 potential but probably not top 3 (unless he's traded to the Oilers, ha ha). I think he can be at least as good as, say, Frolik.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
It is a pretty good sign to me that we’ll have to get the 4th round before we get to non-NHL ready prospects. It is still very easy to miss on players at 16th overall, 56th overall and 60th overall. Add in a couple late round gems and the prospect system is not nearly as bad as it should be for a team that hasn’t had many high picks recently.

The only major concern for me is the Flames have still struggled to develop a drafted goalie. The drafted goalie graveyard continues to grow. I’m hoping for the best, but it is possible both Parsons and Gillies follow McDonald out of the organization next year if they don’t show definite signs of improvement.
I still have high hopes for Gillies and Parsons. So high I still think they can be our near-future tandem. They are both still in my top 10 prospects.

The "goalies are voodoo" and "goalies take longer" arguments are practically fact outside of a few exceptions. The NHL is a huge jump and so is the AHL from college or junior. Especially at that position.

Adversity and bad stat years seem to be a good thing for goalies more so than other positions, Makes them tougher and no position requires more resilience. You need to see flashes are NHL level competence and you need to retain your belief in them. Without that you cut bait like they did with McDonald.

The example du jour of course is Binnington who was the Blues 5th goalie at the start of 2017-18 and loaned to another AHL club. He started this year, his 6th pro season, as the #4.

Goaltenders rarely take a straight line to the NHL. Of all the starters in the league right now the only ones I think can make that claim are Gibson, Quick, Martin and Vaselivsky (and maybe Bobrovsky).

We've got three decent prospects (incl. Zagidulin) and two maybes (Schneider and Wolf). I like it.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Dube hasn't outpaced Kylington in my opinion. My 2nd place vote is going to the Swede.
I didn’t think Kylington would have been on the list either. Agree he is ahead of Dube as well
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #26
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has to be Valimaki just based on the tangible results so far. I have "gut feelings" about other guys, but too early to go with the gut considering there is cold hard evidence to support Valimaki.

I actually barely consider him a prospect as I think he has proven that he belongs in the NHL and has top 4 upside. But I understand why there needs to be a game-played and age standard for this exercise.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
I still have high hopes for Gillies and Parsons. So high I still think they can be our near-future tandem. They are both still in my top 10 prospects.

The "goalies are voodoo" and "goalies take longer" arguments are practically fact outside of a few exceptions. The NHL is a huge jump and so is the AHL from college or junior. Especially at that position.

Adversity and bad stat years seem to be a good thing for goalies more so than other positions, Makes them tougher and no position requires more resilience. You need to see flashes are NHL level competence and you need to retain your belief in them. Without that you cut bait like they did with McDonald.
While I generally agree, I also think it is important for goalie prospects to demonstrate their dominance at the AHL level, and if they fail to do so I become quite sceptical about their long-term potential. Jon Gillies is entering his fourth pro season, and thus far has not managed to establish himself as a dominant AHL goaltender. That is a legitimate concern.

Quote:
The example du jour of course is Binnington who was the Blues 5th goalie at the start of 2017-18 and loaned to another AHL club. He started this year, his 6th pro season, as the #4.

Goaltenders rarely take a straight line to the NHL. Of all the starters in the league right now the only ones I think can make that claim are Gibson, Quick, Martin and Vaselivsky (and maybe Bobrovsky).

We've got three decent prospects (incl. Zagidulin) and two maybes (Schneider and Wolf). I like it.
But prior to this season Binnington was coming off of a stellar AHL campaign, and was well on his way to repeating that performance before being recalled to the St Louis Blues. Binnington is the same age as Jon Gillies—the clock is definitely ticking, and he is running out of runway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I like to think that haiku voted for Eetu Tuulola because his name has five syllables...
If it isn't a Valimaki, Dube, Kylington or Pelletier vote it can really be viewed as an informed/serious one.

There is one obvious choice here and things wont get interesting until round 5.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I have no skin in this game this offseason. A few years of not following the Flames as closely means I really don't know anything about these prospects, other than a handful. After the top 4 or 5 this feels very wide open.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Pelletier
Pettersen
Philp
Phillips
Pospisil
Yeah, no way I don't get them confused at least once over the course of this voting.
Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #31
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Whoops, didn't see Valimaki on there.. would have voted for him if my eyes worked.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted for dube because I didn’t expect valimaki to be on the list lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #33
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The good news is we'll finally have a definitive list of people who like to respond before they read all the options.
Yup, proving to be true so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Voted Dube but didn’t do a good job of scanning the list and would have picked Valimaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Whoops, didn't see Valimaki on there.. would have voted for him if my eyes worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
Voted for dube because I didn’t expect valimaki to be on the list lol
Or perhaps you all need your vision prescription updated?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy first selection. 2nd is going to be very tough.

Kylington has a very high offensive ceiling, and his skating is elite, which bodes well for 'today's NHL'. I might pick him 2nd.

Parsons had a tough year, but I look for him to rebound. He is a franchise-level type of goalie prospect IMO.

Pelletier - No, he isn't on here because he was this year's first round pick. Take a careful look at his pedigree. This kid is a "can't miss" type of pick with off-the-charts skill. He makes others around him better. He was the top QMJHL offensive player while also being good defensively. He has the work ethic a development coach dreams about. Oh yeah, and he loves going to the hard areas and thrives in a nasty environment. There is literally zero to not like about this kid.

Pettersen - Elite skill. Highly coachable. Great work ethic. Did I mention elite skill? If you believe Treliving, lots of teams inquired about him at the deadline. Just another fantastic late round pick with 1st round talent who is seemingly erasing question marks surrounding his NHL potential.

Phillips - Elite skill. Elite skill. Elite skill. I question his size more than Pettersen's, simply because he just isn't as strong on the puck. We will have to see, but this kid does have 'it'.

You still have highly skilled guys remaining after this - albeit with potentially more question marks. It wouldn't surprise me if a prospect that I haven't touched on doesn't surpass every other prospect listed here over the years, and we look at this list and wonder why nobody saw it coming.

I anticipate the Flames will be chasing free agent defencemen from the NCAA near the end of the season and into the off-season. Looks fairly grim after Kylington. From two really fantastic prospects to... not much (or nothing)? No gradual decline, as it just falls off a cliff. It isn't a weakness organizationally since most of the defencemen are either young or solidly in their prime, with Giordano being the only aged vet (who is seemingly still getting better every season), but it is something that should start getting addressed in short order.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I was leaning Dube #2 but I'm starting to seriously consider Pettersen

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #36
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I was leaning Dube #2 but I'm starting to seriously consider Pettersen
Pettersen has shot up for sure, but Dube just had insane AHL season.

Quote:
Fs from the past 22Y that recorded an nhle of 45+ in their 1st Y in the AHL:

Spezza, Briere, Svejkovsky, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Brassard, Savard, Kraft, Getzlaf, Perry, O'Sullivan, Stafford, Krejci, Versteeg, Sobotka, L.Adam, Kucherov, Perlini, D.Strome and N.Merkeley
A couple misses as well, but some elite players on that list that Dube is amongst.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #37
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yup, proving to be true so far.

Or perhaps you all need your vision prescription updated?
In their defense I wouldn't expect valimaki to be on this list considering he was a 15-17 minute a night defenseman last season who beat out stone for a full-time roster spot by the start of November
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #38
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Valimaki played 24 games last year, totally acceptable to still consider him a prospect. He's a prospect that's close to graduation sure, but one none the less.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Easy first selection. 2nd is going to be very tough.

Kylington has a very high offensive ceiling, and his skating is elite, which bodes well for 'today's NHL'. I might pick him 2nd.

Parsons had a tough year, but I look for him to rebound. He is a franchise-level type of goalie prospect IMO.

Pelletier - No, he isn't on here because he was this year's first round pick. Take a careful look at his pedigree. This kid is a "can't miss" type of pick with off-the-charts skill. He makes others around him better. He was the top QMJHL offensive player while also being good defensively. He has the work ethic a development coach dreams about. Oh yeah, and he loves going to the hard areas and thrives in a nasty environment. There is literally zero to not like about this kid.

Pettersen - Elite skill. Highly coachable. Great work ethic. Did I mention elite skill? If you believe Treliving, lots of teams inquired about him at the deadline. Just another fantastic late round pick with 1st round talent who is seemingly erasing question marks surrounding his NHL potential.

Phillips - Elite skill. Elite skill. Elite skill. I question his size more than Pettersen's, simply because he just isn't as strong on the puck. We will have to see, but this kid does have 'it'.
Dube is on the list too, you know.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
To a large degree it depends on the offseason and what holes are there. Last season Dube benefited from a relatively weak forward camp, but both Kylington and Rasmus had a lot of players ahead of them (including Valimaki).

This season, if Brodie and, say, Stone go, Kylinton is almost a lock. But assuming Frolik goes, and without Hathaway around, and with the lustre off of Czarnik, Dube will have a real shot.