Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #1581
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Just watching the Cavalry/Wanderers game again, it's crazy how well Pasquotti can throw that ball. Basically sidelines to the front of the net in the opening minutes. Guy has incredible strength.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #1582
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Thanks for sharing, this was a fantastic read.

Since Sportsnet has purged their soccer staff I hope that CPL or Onesoccer picks some of these guys up. John Molinaro, Craig Forrest, and James Sharman are excellent at what they do and would be a huge boost to the league. That may be a pipe dream on my part but I’d love to see it happen
Yeah, definitely a pipedream for that streaming service. I have it and love it, but their subscriber base is probably in the 1000's and most likely realized that it makes little sense to purchase the full year so they likely have 1000's at $50/yr-ish.

That will be just enough (or possibly not enough) to simply broadcast the games and keep up the site/app, while using next to free announcers and commentators looking to cut their teeth.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #1583
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following up on my post on this last night, UWS have announced that the National Final will be hosted at Mount Royal University. I wonder just how many women's soccer fans there are in this city now that the Women's World Cup is done...

https://www.uwssoccer.com/news_article/show/1034925

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #1584
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Malyk Hamilton is getting more starts in the fall season. I think that it really suits him. 19 is very youthful, even for a league as young as the CPL.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #1585
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is in no way a put down on our supporters, but I definitely think Halifax is number (one) in the league in supporters sections. With Cavalry in second, well above third.

Halifax has just really taken on CPL soccer like no one else. A perfect storm I guess, with the Maritimes booming like I've never seen in my lifetime while not having any professional sports to speak of, with grounded ticket pricing. It's so cool to see.
Having attended Saturday's Cavs match in Halifax, I am in the unique position of being able to directly compare the two supporters groups. I can assure you that our Foot Soldiers are on equal standing with the Privateers. I got to meet a few of them, and they are aware of the excellent game atmosphere that is being created at Spruce Meadows.

In fact, I would even give the Foot Soldiers a slight edge as more work was needed do be done in Calgary than in Halifax. The Privateers' pre-game pub is a 10 minute walk to Wanderers' Ground. Our Foot Soldiers have to endure a 30 minute (plus) ride on a cheesewagon just to get to a match!

Last edited by Howie_16; 07-15-2019 at 01:56 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #1586
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Which one of you are selling your empties on eBay? Hahahah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #1587
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I wasn't aware that the nine-game packages are actually considered pro-rated season tickets with the associated perks, but I just bought seats with three friends! COME ON YOU CAVS!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #1588
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Malyk Hamilton is getting more starts in the fall season. I think that it really suits him. 19 is very youthful, even for a league as young as the CPL.
He has been our best u21 by far. Also nice that he can play in a outside back position or as a full on winger. Loturi has good potential but he is like 90 pounds and needs to bulk up in this league. Bitar hasn’t impressed.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #1589
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
He has been our best u21 by far. Also nice that he can play in a outside back position or as a full on winger. Loturi has good potential but he is like 90 pounds and needs to bulk up in this league. Bitar hasn’t impressed.
Loturi is also the youngest on the team, he is a bit more of a project. But I agree Bitar has benefited from this rule, otherwise I have a hard time seeing him cracking the squad.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #1590
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

For anyone interested in tickets for Sunday’s match:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1151189924852510725

Last edited by CofR; 07-16-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #1591
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked about whether we could bring a trumpet to the game(s), because I thought it would be cool and add to the atmosphere. Alas, they’re not allowed and I’m glad I asked first!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #1592
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I asked about whether we could bring a trumpet to the game(s), because I thought it would be cool and add to the atmosphere. Alas, they’re not allowed and I’m glad I asked first!
I bought the one at the merch shop... it's $10, and annoys the piss out of everyone around you. It's great!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #1593
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

They actually had/have one for sale? I meant like an actual trumpet to play along with the songs or things like that. I guess I didn’t think it would be annoying, and I thought it would add to the atmosphere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #1594
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
I swear I saw someone (one of the foot soldiers?!) bring one into a game?!

I totally want to get some Dale, Dale going!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #1595
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They actually had/have one for sale? I meant like an actual trumpet to play along with the songs or things like that. I guess I didn’t think it would be annoying, and I thought it would add to the atmosphere.
Of course an actual trumpet would be sweet. The Cavs just sell a plastic horn, but it's better than nothing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #1596
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had someone in the group buy a bugle, learned how to play it and painted it, only to not be allowed to bring it in. We also had someone bring in one of those Cavalry bugles that they were selling and that got rejected too.

Better than that ####ing trumpet that you hear at every York 9 game. Hate that thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #1597
StoneCole
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Foot Clan only use Vuvuzelas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I swear I saw someone (one of the foot soldiers?!) bring one into a game?!

I totally want to get some Dale, Dale going!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #1598
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Foot Soldiers have joined the Prideraiser campaign to donate for every goal scored by Cavalry between August 10 to September 2. Proceeds will go to Calgary Outlink. This cause is near and dear to some of those in our supporters group who have been bullied in the past for their sexual orientation.

We're up to $22.01 per goal (apparently I don't know how to enter a donation properly) If anyone wants to join in, that would be awesome. The Edmonton supporters group donated $124.69 per goal, and I know Calgary can beat that.

https://www.prideraiser.org/campaign...-2019-KNbW7Bv/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #1599
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to book some tables at the Rose & Crown for next Wednesday's game against the Whitecaps. Wonder if we could pack the pub with Cavalry supporters?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #1600
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I'm going to book some tables at the Rose & Crown for next Wednesday's game against the Whitecaps. Wonder if we could pack the pub with Cavalry supporters?
Count me in!
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge