Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #7221
TheAlpineOracle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got into two separate cabs last night only to be flat out refused to service home as it was “Too far in the NW”. Third one I just opened the door and sat down and basically demanded where to go, told him I would report him otherwise , and he still bitched the whole way home.

Little bit of business uptake and it’s like 2004 again. #### the slime ball cabs in this city. I can’t wait until Uber phases every last one of them out.l

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-13-2019 at 10:23 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #7222
TheSutterDynasty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Got into two separate cabs last night only to be flat out refused to service home as it was “Too far in the NW”. Third one I just opened the door and sat down and basically demanded where to go, told him I would report him otherwise , and he still bitched the whole way home.

Little bit of business uptake and it’s like 2004 again. #### the slime ball cabs in this city. I can’t wait until Uber phases every last one of them out.l
Can't believe this still happens with Uber around. Obviously due to Stampede surge prices.

#### cabbies.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #7223
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

I've been bitching about Calgary taxis for so long, 2004 is too recent. When Uber finally broke the taxi mafia in Calgary, I cheered. Fk Calgary taxis. I got that same treatment a hundred times whether it was too short to go from 17th ave to Bankview or too far to go to somewhere south or north, or just being on hold for 2 hours only to get disconnected. Fk them.

I am so happy that Uber destroyed their stupid monopoly, I use Uber pretty much exclusively out of spite. It's pathetic that city council didn't do a goddamned thing for so many years while an entire generation considered the options of walking home in the freezing cold, driving drunk, or walking home in the freezing cold. Not like there's buses to take, and the f'ing cab lines just put you on hold for 2+ hours and then hang up. My adult life of 1996 to ~2015 when Uber finally smashed the industry was complete BS.

The amount of schadenfreude I get out of Uber wrecking Calgary's taxi industry is high. Very, very high.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #7224
TheSutterDynasty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I've been bitching about Calgary taxis for so long, 2004 is too recent. When Uber finally broke the taxi mafia in Calgary, I cheered. Fk Calgary taxis. I got that same treatment a hundred times whether it was too short to go from 17th ave to Bankview or too far to go to somewhere south or north, or just being on hold for 2 hours only to get disconnected. Fk them.

I am so happy that Uber destroyed their stupid monopoly, I use Uber pretty much exclusively out of spite. It's pathetic that city council didn't do a goddamned thing for so many years while an entire generation considered the options of walking home in the freezing cold, driving drunk, or walking home in the freezing cold. Not like there's buses to take, and the f'ing cab lines just put you on hold for 2+ hours and then hang up. My adult life of 1996 to ~2015 when Uber finally smashed the industry was complete BS.

The amount of schadenfreude I get out of Uber wrecking Calgary's taxi industry is high. Very, very high.
I have the exact same experience.

Also them taking any opportunity they could to demand cash only and drive away if you refused.

Them taking joy rides before google maps and smart phones.

And just generally being the worst drivers on the road.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #7225
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber surge is still worth it over dealing with this city's ####ty cabbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #7226
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

#### the cabs in Calgary.

I can't recall the last time I used a cab.

I always Uber and to be honest have never had a bad driver.

I wouldn't piss on a cab if it was on fire.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #7227
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Uber drivers should be forced to put a giant sign on their roof. At least a cab you can anticipate and expect they will be pulling over randomly around busy areas. The amount of Uber drivers and idiot customers who think stopping the the middle of traffic and taking 2 minutes to unload their stupid ass friends is alright drives me crazy.
I’ve stared assuming if someone is driving really slow, indecisive or doesn’t go when they should that they are an Uber driver. And #### you, learn how to drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #7228
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber for long trips cab for short.

Haven’t had issues with a cab in Calgary since Uber came to town.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #7229
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Uber drivers should be forced to put a giant sign on their roof. At least a cab you can anticipate and expect they will be pulling over randomly around busy areas. The amount of Uber drivers and idiot customers who think stopping the the middle of traffic and taking 2 minutes to unload their stupid ass friends is alright drives me crazy.
I’ve stared assuming if someone is driving really slow, indecisive or doesn’t go when they should that they are an Uber driver. And #### you, learn how to drive.
Ubers always have the little red circle livery sticker on their back window. And business plates. Not super obvious but they're getting easier to pick out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #7230
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Haha no it's the Calgary deep south..Chaparral area. Really beautiful nature down here, great paths, lots of nice families... and black Rams EVERYWHERE.. with lots of impatient alpha types up your butt on the roads all the time. Heaven forbid you catch em at the light after their #### move and make eye contact with them either. They don't stand for that insubordination.
Rams seem to attract a different breed of truck drivers than other trucks. They're not aesthetically pleasing at all unless you like overbearing, gaudy looking features. They attract guys that want that "look at how big I am so **** you" look. I feel like one of these years they're going start adding letters and exclamation points to their Ram logo in addition to making it comically oversized.

RAAMMMMM!

Last edited by jayswin; 07-14-2019 at 02:00 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #7231
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Uber for long trips cab for short.

Haven’t had issues with a cab in Calgary since Uber came to town.
Ditto. Ever since Uber came in I've been having great experiences with cabs, but I share 4x4's sentiments, prior to Uber every cab company in this city took great pleasure in screwing me over every chance they got.

I've missed events, Christmas parties and been stranded on NYE more times than I can remember, so I take pleasure in their pain seeing as how they had every opportunity to be an excellent service but instead treated their customers like dog-#### that they stepped in.

"His Judgement Cometh, and that Right Soon."

I've dealt with many cabbies and companies who lament the fact that their plate license values plummeted and their investments and plans were really hurt badly....somehow I still cant find any sympathy.

Like a lottery winner who dies penniless because they didnt realize they had a winning ticket and never cashed it. If you get chance after chance, or in cabbies' case, decades of uncontested monopoly, then I cant feel sorry that you squandered it.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #7232
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The amount of Uber drivers and idiot customers who think stopping the the middle of traffic and taking 2 minutes to unload their stupid ass friends is alright drives me crazy.
Ok, I’m intrigued. What’s the amount of people stopping in the middle of traffic and taking two full minutes to unload the passengers?

It’s like saying, “the amount of bugs in a bag of cherries drives me crazy!” because there was a bug... once.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #7233
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People who are loud as elephants when they walk. Why do you press your feet down so hard? Walk like a normal person. Bonus points for high heels shoes that click clack all day.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #7234
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Ok, I’m intrigued. What’s the amount of people stopping in the middle of traffic and taking two full minutes to unload the passengers?
I don't know about this specific gripe, but in general, there's a lot of dumb stuff going on with uber drivers these days. Stopping randomly in places you're not allowed to stop is a good example. Yesterday I saw one just randomly pull over to let people out on Memorial Drive between the Peace bridge and center street around that curved part of the road... that's just asking to be rear ended.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #7235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't a lot of them taxi drivers? Not surprised they can't drive.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #7236
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I have the exact same experience.

Also them taking any opportunity they could to demand cash only and drive away if you refused.

Them taking joy rides before google maps and smart phones.

And just generally being the worst drivers on the road.
better yet is when you get to your destination and "their machine isn't working"

nah i'm gonna force you to actually try the machine instead of adding another 20 minutes to the fare while we drive in a convoluted path to a 711 and back
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #7237
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
People who are loud as elephants when they walk. Why do you press your feet down so hard? Walk like a normal person. Bonus points for high heels shoes that click clack all day.
I asked my husband about this once as he walks like an elephant. No one ever suggested he try to walk like a cat.

When I was little, my mom got us all to walk like cats and try to be as quiet as possible out of courtesy for those who were sleeping or whatever. I still do it to this day.

Unless I'm wearing noisy shoes because then there's no chance anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #7238
rotten42
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Yup...I've had the same problem with them. The only time I use a cab is when I have to go to the airport each month at 4:00am. Hard to always find a convenient Uber at the time in the far NW.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote