Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #541
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan played these playoffs with a broken thumb.

Said openly his confidence was running very low and was hoping to pull out of it.

It wasn't just Monahan not being able to be at elite, dominating levels that lost the flames the series, it was a fully team effort/collapse. So if you write him off for that you should write others of this 2nd place overall team off as well.

But you won't because it was a 2nd place team at the end of the day, and a team in that position has potential.

We were not showing that potential in the final 3 weeks of hockey, it's as straight forward as that. Healthy, confident Monahan wouldn't have prevented that lost series, because everyone else dropped the ball also. It's a ridiculous scapegoating. If the team as a whole was playing their better hockey we would've not been so rattled by their adjustment and probably ousted the avs as quickly as they did us.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #542
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Monahan played these playoffs with a broken thumb.

Said openly his confidence was running very low and was hoping to pull out of it.

It wasn't just Monahan not being able to be at elite, dominating levels that lost the flames the series, it was a fully team effort/collapse. So if you write him off for that you should write others of this 2nd place overall team off as well.

But you won't because it was a 2nd place team at the end of the day, and a team in that position has potential.

We were not showing that potential in the final 3 weeks of hockey, it's as straight forward as that. Healthy, confident Monahan wouldn't have prevented that lost series, because everyone else dropped the ball also. It's a ridiculous scapegoating. If the team as a whole was playing their better hockey we would've not been so rattled by their adjustment and probably ousted the avs as quickly as they did us.
He said he was healthy though?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #543
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He always says he's healthy.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #544
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He always says he's healthy.
He said he was healthy the same day it was announced he was undergoing 4 operations last off season.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #545
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

There you go
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #546
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
He said he was healthy though?
If there's no excuse they'll make one
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #547
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
If there's no excuse they'll make one
Monahan didn't want to give any excuse, then Treliving/Peters came out and revealed he actually had a broken thumb.

I'd rather that than a player that comes out and gives excuses. But I'm guessing you'd prefer to criticize him regardless as usual.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #548
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan was clearly injured towards the end of the season. He couldn’t keep the puck on his stick to save his life. His playoffs were actually a big improvement compared to about a month prior.

He will start the season great I expect. Hopefully that top line can keep the magic going
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #549
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Monahan was clearly injured towards the end of the season. He couldn’t keep the puck on his stick to save his life. His playoffs were actually a big improvement compared to about a month prior.
Which leads to the question why play him on the top line? how many times was Gaudreau doubled or even triple covered and Monahan was nowhere to be found for support
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #550
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love's next response?

Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #551
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dissapointed that this trade didnt happen. Think Kadri could have really given the team some depth scoring and more intensity.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 AM   #552
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm over it now but sure am impatient to find out what Treliving does next
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #553
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Monahan didn't want to give any excuse, then Treliving/Peters came out and revealed he actually had a broken thumb.

I'd rather that than a player that comes out and gives excuses. But I'm guessing you'd prefer to criticize him regardless as usual.
Type 1: Makes no excuses; accepts responsibility.
Type 2: Makes excuses; doesn’t accept responsibility.
Type 3: Misses game/practice because they’re sick; gets photographed shopping with girlfriend.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #554
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Which leads to the question why play him on the top line? how many times was Gaudreau doubled or even triple covered and Monahan was nowhere to be found for support
Because he was still the best option at whatever percent effectiveness he was. Better than Backlund, Jankowski, or Ryan.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #555
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

What this shows is Treliving is serious about addressing the centre depth this off-season. It has been determined to be a place where improvement can help. I would love to know which other players the Flames have shown interest in. I would love to add a player like Henrique.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #556
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
What this shows is Treliving is serious about addressing the centre depth this off-season. It has been determined to be a place where improvement can help. I would love to know which other players the Flames have shown interest in. I would love to add a player like Henrique.
Henrique would be a bad player to target. Why would the flames want a guy who is clearly worse than Backlund, turning 30, and has 5 years left at $5.825M? Unless it is for Neal and a 2nd then no thanks.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #557
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I always liked him OK but at this point what centre is he better than? Jankowski (except for the age/salary)? Not Ryan or Backlund or Monahan (or Lindholm).

There are two ways toi improve centre depth. Either get a centre that's better than Backlund and moves the others down (and Janko to the wing), or get a first line RW and move Lindholm down to 2C (and Janko to a wing position).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #558
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I do think the Edmonton-Calgary rumors are bunk or if real involves smaller pieces but I could see the Flames targeting RNH as a potential fit.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #559
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Henrique would be a bad player to target. Why would the flames want a guy who is clearly worse than Backlund, turning 30, and has 5 years left at $5.825M? Unless it is for Neal and a 2nd then no thanks.
The thing is it is almost impossible to get a 1st line center through trade, unless we give up a lot. Even top end 2nd line centers cost a bucket load. We can address the issue either internally or by getting a player who can potentially rise to such a level.

I didn't know Henrique had such a rich contract though. Neal or salary retention by Ducks will have to be happening for sure. Henrique adds to centre depth, which we do lack. I don't think Jankowski is going to cut it. He probably serves better on the wing going forward. Henrique/Backlund can potentially share 2nd/3rd line minutes. I personally think Backlund is a decent 2nd line center, but ends up being counted on a lot. Having a 2a/2b line helps spread out the offense as well as checking responsibilities.

Henrique might not have had the best season, but the entire Ducks team had a rough season.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #560
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is it is almost impossible to get a 1st line center through trade, unless we give up a lot. Even top end 2nd line centers cost a bucket load. We can address the issue either internally or by getting a player who can potentially rise to such a level.

I didn't know Henrique had such a rich contract though. Neal or salary retention by Ducks will have to be happening for sure. Henrique adds to centre depth, which we do lack. I don't think Jankowski is going to cut it. He probably serves better on the wing going forward. Henrique/Backlund can potentially share 2nd/3rd line minutes. I personally think Backlund is a decent 2nd line center, but ends up being counted on a lot. Having a 2a/2b line helps spread out the offense as well as checking responsibilities.

Henrique might not have had the best season, but the entire Ducks team had a rough season.
Henrique would be one of the last guys I would be targeting. We are short on cap space. No need for an aging, overpaid third line center.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post: