Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #21
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Liveblogging at the Square-Enix thing.

http://kotaku.com/5025033/livebloggi...ess-conference

Apparently the Xbox360 version of FFXIII is US and Europe only.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Square Enix is having a press conference right now and they say that they are not intending on having any differences between the ps3 and 360 version aside from the standard dvd/bluray differences (I take that to mean multiple dvds).

Kind of odd that it wouldn't come out in Japan ... have they abandoned trying to get a foothold over there?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Kind of odd that it wouldn't come out in Japan ... have they abandoned trying to get a foothold over there?
Sony probably fought for Japan exclusivity. The 360 having only NA/Europe versions really softens the blow for Sony. The 360 keeps trying to get all these random JRPGs to get some sort of foothold in Japan, but that's not going to happen until they get a huge title like Final Fantasy or especially Dragon Quest.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh you're probably right! I was sitting around trying to think about what might come out for it and that never crossed my mind.
Certainly beats working, don't it??
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wait, it's on now?

Last year TechTV did wall-to-wall coverage? They still doing that?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #26
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think in terms of getting people to buy an Xbox 360 for this particular game it would be somewhat of a lost cause. I would imagine that most Japanese gamers that wanted to play FFXIII would have bought theirs by now.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Certainly beats working, don't it??
Beats it to hell

G4 should be doing wall to wall coverage ... i think e3 is like their christmas. My wife HATES e3 because I usually fill the pvr with things she doesn't particularly care for.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I guess I was wrong...As of right now FFXIII Versus IS a PS3 exclusive. I could have sworn that it wasn't. I'm so confused.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #29
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
So I guess I was wrong...As of right now FFXIII Versus IS a PS3 exclusive. I could have sworn that it wasn't. I'm so confused.
Yah, me too. But all it really takes is bags with big $$$ on it to change it from exclusive to non exclusive.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #30
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

XBOX360 is dominating the news so far. Hopefully some good stuff appears for the Wii today.

Finally, a reason to have a hard drive on the Xbox. We will be able to install games onto it (GTA will no longer wreak havok on my DVD drive!): http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/microsoft-says.html

Also, they are changing up the dashboard. Kinda neat I guess: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/pics-xbox-360s.html

Honestly, I'm surprised that the XBOX360 nor the PS3 have WoW on them by now. Both machines are capable of running that game easily. Hell, they could buy that stupid Phantom Keyboard license and package it with the game or something.

Couch Raiding ftw.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #31
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
XBOX360 is dominating the news so far. Hopefully some good stuff appears for the Wii today.
Well, they are the only company to have their press conference. Microsoft's conference was pretty lackluster aside from FF13. Demos of multiplatform games, trailers of games we've already seen before, and some horrible Nintendo/Sony rip-offs for their casual game quota.

Nintendo should have the best press conference, but that was pretty predictable going into E3. There's definitely going to be at least a few new games announced (for holiday 2008) and hopefully they have a demo for the 1:1 motion device.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #32
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nintendo's press conference live feed can be found at 10:00 here:

http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html

Sony's can be found here:

http://livewire.ign.com/2008/e3/index.html

And I hope whatever Nintendo announces gets used on something other than a multitude of "Mario" games. I love the plumber as much as the next guy, but I'm getting tired of seeing his ass being whored out all the time.

Last edited by WhiteTom; 07-15-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Removed the time for Sony because IGN's timer LIES, and I can't count.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #33
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Very excited for the nintendo and sony conferences. Not sure there'll be any shocks like FF yesterday but we'll see. I may be a little biased but aside from the obvious news I thought the microsoft conference was brutal. Hoping to see either one or both of todays companies to be a little more enjoyable and a little less awkward (she just didn't stop singing).
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #34
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the microsoft conference was brutal.
I'm with you on that one.

"And I'm here to show you the next phase of Guitar Hero!" (paraphrasing)

Throws up the horns

*crickets*

I thought it was sad how they didn't give Peter Molyneux nearly enough time to shoot himself in the foot, but they felt it necessary to show upwards of 12 minutes of Gears of War 2 footage.

Look! It looks exactly like GoW! Plays like GoW! Please, get excited!

That was my impression anyway...
Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #35
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, the bombshell at the end with FF13 really salvaged a lacklustre showing for the 360 IMO. I'm hoping Nintendo and Sony have awesome conferences today. Of course, Nintendo always seems to put on pretty good ones with lots of new innovations. Lets see what they roll out today.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

the nintendo conference starts at 9 pacific by the way (10 calgary time). I was all excited because the person meeting with me never showed up!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #37
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This countdown thing LIES!

Sorry about the misinformation. I was going off of a countdown timer on IGN's website.

Those jerks.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #38
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Now all they need to do is add this thing to my drumsticks (possibly my forehead as well) and on the end of a guitar for the face melting guitar solos and I'm sold.

Integrate it into Rockband and I probably won't leave the house......
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #39
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

on the upside, that means the ps3 conference will start at 12:30, meaning I can watch it over my lunch break, close the door and mysteriously forget to open it until 2. Kinda funny, I think this will be the third year in a row I'll have done that. My boss isn't in until 11 today ... maybe I should blow off my meeting and watch the nintendo one too. I was going to just read the live blogging, but I'm getting too antsy. Really at my wits end with the wii and I'm really looking forward to what they have to say.

edit: Who knew? My colleague for the meeting is sick today ... suddenly my morning is wide open.

Last edited by Russic; 07-15-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #40
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the major gaming sites are blocked here so I got to find a small site with live blogging to find out what's going on for Nintendo and Sony.