Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Telus and Bell to charge 15¢ per INCOMING Text [SPLIT]

Figured this was worth a bump as not many people will dig through the Iphone thread.

All bell and telus customers will now be charged $0.15 / text message RECEIVED.

Article can be found here:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=638556
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm with Solo Mobile (run by Bell) and I checked at the Bell store at the mall today....Solo customers still get messages for free, apparently.
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I talked to Bell last week and they told me about the $0.15 charge for received messages... I had unlimited anyways so it wouldn't effect me, but for $15/month you can bundle 2500 text messages, caller ID and voice mail... so I did that...
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Good thing I just have one of those "just in case" plans from Telus. I pay something like $10 a month and get 75 minutes anytime, free caller ID, no other fees. Considering I only use my phone for the one day in a year that I can't get to work in time, it's not that bad.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Word to the wise: anybody leaving Bell had better get a final bill stating that your account is paid in full and that the account is closed. After that, check your credit regularly and watch for Bell to decide that you actually owed them a little more money that they decided to send to collections.
Also, make sure to keep documentation from the post office that you returned their stupid boxes if you're a satellite subscriber.

That is the game they played with me. To top it off, the collections company they deal with is even worse. Heed my warning. Without your final bill showing a balance of zero, there's no way to prove to the credit bureau that Bell is a company full of incompetent people that are either liars or scammers or both.

I hate Bell with every ounce of my being and I will never stop trashing them every opportunity I get. For every person that has replied that they get great service from Bell, I've heard three people regale a horror story like mine or sometimes worse.

You cannot have enough documentation when you deal with them. And keep it for months or even years after you're done dealing with them. My battle with them has taken two and a half years and I still lost another $174 last month on those bullchitting a-holes.

In fact, I'm so choked about this ongoing crap that I've tossed around the idea of taking legal action against them. The only reason I haven't is because my own record keeping isn't the greatest. If I had known when this battle began that this would be such a nightmare, I'd have kept every piece of paper and documented times and dates of calls, employee numbers, etc.

They are scammers. They go way beyond the poor service that I held against Telus for so long. At Bell, they actually lie and steal. And when you don't pay, you end up in collections. It's quite the racket.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Figured this was worth a bump as not many people will dig through the Iphone thread.

All bell and telus customers will now be charged $0.15 / text message RECEIVED.

Article can be found here:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=638556
That's ridiculous. I was thinking of getting a phone, I think I'll go with Rogers.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm going to split this off into its own thread as we went off topic for a bit.

In any event, just watched Global News, and Jim Johannsson from Telus said "All customers who have a plan that includes any kind of a text messaging bundle are going to be exempt from the fee."

And I did record that so that when Telus changes their mind I can point to the interview.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soon with all these ridiculous fees, people are going to give up their cells because they can't afford them. Stupidity at it's finest.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

That's moronic. You can't control whether or not somebody sends you a text message.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
That's moronic. You can't control whether or not somebody sends you a text message.
Knowing Bell, it will be them sending you the text message.

I also like how both Telus and Bell come out with this around the exact same time. Collusion? Of course not.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NDP is opposing this and has a petition on their website:

http://www.ndp.ca/page/6577

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its going to be fun to watch this play out...I hope Telus and Bell wuss out and change it back, but I honestly think they won't care and it will be a standard charge that Rogers will put into effect probably 1st quarter of 2009 after most people have left Telus/Bell because of this reason.

Most companies charge for incoming texts all around the world, so I just don't see it disappearing.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Last edited by Shawnski; 09-25-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

In any event, just watched Global News, and Jim Johannsson from Telus said "All customers who have a plan that includes any kind of a text messaging bundle are going to be exempt from the fee."

And I did record that so that when Telus changes their mind I can point to the interview.
They are just trying to force ppl into signing up for long term plans, etc...

Cash grab.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Most companies charge for incoming texts all around the world, so I just don't see it disappearing.
I dunno, that may be true for Europe... but when I had a London sim card, I did not get charged for incoming texts, neither did I when I used a Hong Kong sim card in Hong Kong and an Australia Sim card when I was visiting Aussie... I get charged for outgoing, but never incoming.

Seriously, that 15 cent charge is moronic, hopefully, Rogers/Fido doesn't institute that kind of charge.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what happens if someone with unlimited text sends like hundreds of messages to a person without a plan? Can they stop the incoming text messages or do they have to pay for all the spam text messages?
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone heard if you have an unlimited plan with Bell if you have to still pay for incoming?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #18
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess I was a bit ahead of the curve as I cancelled all text messaging on my cellphone a month ago (can't send or receive). I hated that people were texting me things that were either a) too important for text messaging or b) something they didn't want to tell me in a phone call.

Maybe I'm just old and crotchety. Get off my lawn!
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I talked to Bell last week and they told me about the $0.15 charge for received messages... I had unlimited anyways so it wouldn't effect me, but for $15/month you can bundle 2500 text messages, caller ID and voice mail... so I did that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

LOL been discussed a few posts up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Anyone heard if you have an unlimited plan with Bell if you have to still pay for incoming?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I guess I was a bit ahead of the curve as I cancelled all text messaging on my cellphone a month ago (can't send or receive).
I was just about to ask this question. Bell will be getting a call from me today and I will block text message service. Given that I am no longer a kid, I really don't have any use for any kind of messaging, computer or cell. So, get off my lawn, too!