Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Chrono Trigger coming to DS!

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Rejoice for those who have played this masterpiece of a game!

For those who haven't... get ready for one of the best RPG's ever made.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah, finally.

True fans rejoice, though I'm going to grimace at those who will probably come and crap up the thread with words like "What's that?" or "Meh, its just a remake" This is the pinnacle of classic JRPGs.

Had to load this up for the occasion, man, tugs the heart strings every time I hear it. Easily one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caRKvQAyU7M
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last great JRPG ever made. Everything went downhill from here (for Square/Enix that is).

Good to see Square is re-releasing it!
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Disagree on the downhill thing..... Chrono Trigger came out in 1995 and Final Fantasy Tactics in 1997. I've played Chrono Trigger through twice and got bored trying it a third time. FFT I've played through 8 times and could probably go another 8 before getting bored.

However, I am happy to see Chrono Trigger coming out. I only use the DS on the bus on the way to work, but I'm running out of good DS games to play.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

FFVI > Chrono Trigger, but yes, I'll be picking this one up. Absolutely!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

chrono trigger was previously re-released on the playstation as well, coupled with I believe it was FF5
IMO Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are 2 of the best RPGs (outside of the Final Fantasy series) I may have to go buy a DS just for this
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Disagree on the downhill thing..... Chrono Trigger came out in 1995 and Final Fantasy Tactics in 1997. I've played Chrono Trigger through twice and got bored trying it a third time. FFT I've played through 8 times and could probably go another 8 before getting bored.

However, I am happy to see Chrono Trigger coming out. I only use the DS on the bus on the way to work, but I'm running out of good DS games to play.
FFT is not the same type of game. After Chrono Trigger, Square started making overly produced super simple interactive movies with trite story lines and little appeal. You cannot possibly compare Final Fantasy 7+ to Chrono Trigger and even come close to the same quality of experience.

FFT is less about a linear story line and more about gameplay. It's basically chess with cooler characters.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CT is one of my favorite RPG's ever, I lost interest in the "sequel" chrono cross about half way through the game and never did finish it.

FF6 is still to this day probably the best FF in the series.

I enjoyed all the ones for PS1 but not the same level as these SNES games. I am thinking of getting a PS3 when FF13 is released, but we'll have to see how that looks when it comes out.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
FFVI > Chrono Trigger, but yes, I'll be picking this one up. Absolutely!
FFVI = CT for me. Both games were just awesomely epic. Even though all the subsequent Square games had made massive graphical improvements, these were the best. I heard FF7 was awesome though. I only got about half way through it, but then had to quit after *spoiler in white...JUST in case* leveling up Aeris for hours just to have her die on me. UGH!

I'm assuming this will be done with upgraded graphics a la FF5 for DS?

Also on a similar note, seems like Super Mario RPG will probably hit the virtual console soon!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also disagree with Chrono Trigger being the best RPG ever from Square. IMO, Xenogears owns all. If it didn't have that the drop off between the first half and second half of the game, Xenogears would be the greatest RPG of all time IMO.

With that being said, I still enjoyed CT and CC immensely. It's too bad they aren't revamping the graphics for the DS release, as I have the PS version already. But I'll still probably pick it up, as the PS version's load times were kind of annoying at times.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

not a big fan of rpg games, but I loved CT. hoping they release it to buy on the wii virtual console.

had never heard of xenogears, but will have to check it out. maybe it's on virtual console. (know theres something on there that sounds like it.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Xenogears was for PS and not SNES, so chances are you won't find it on VC heh. But you can probably find a used copy for like $20 at a pawn shop or EB.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

FF3 (Or FF6 if you want to call it that) is by far the best RPG out there. Kefka is probably one of the most memorable video game villains out there.

And FFT was just a Vandal Hearts rip off.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
It's too bad they aren't revamping the graphics for the DS release
They aren't? I'm just confirming 'cause clearly the link above doesn't provide a whole lot of info heh. That clock seems pretty updated graphically
Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
not a big fan of rpg games, but I loved CT. hoping they release it to buy on the wii virtual console.
Heh, wouldn't be a great business decision to release a DS version for $40 and a Virtual Console version for $8.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #16
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
FF3 (Or FF6 if you want to call it that) is by far the best RPG out there. Kefka is probably one of the most memorable video game villains out there.

And FFT was just a Vandal Hearts rip off.
FF6 is definitly up there. If Chrono Trigger is a 9.9/19, FF6 is a 9/10. The only thing that puts CT ahead is the perfect pacing of the story and the tight integration of music that emotionally connects the player to the characters.

In any case, Square went downhill after they moved to the Playstation.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
FF6 is definitly up there. If Chrono Trigger is a 9.9/19, FF6 is a 9/10. The only thing that puts CT ahead is the perfect pacing of the story and the tight integration of music that emotionally connects the player to the characters.

In any case, Square went downhill after they moved to the Playstation.
And triple techs! I loves me some triple techs!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Definitely one of the absolute classics (up there with FF2/4, my personal fav until 12 came out and Secret of Mana. Although I finished it on the SNES originally, it was one of the first gams I picked up for my PS2 (didn't have a PS1) so I could own it.

I have to agree with the downhill thing too. I will say the Square/Enix wasn't as good, but they still had a few big titles. As I mentioned I had the most love for the old school FF's (heck, I played the original on the NES when it first came out, so I was waiting for the second!) and a few of the FF's that many thought we're ground breaking I wasn't totally sold on, like FF7.

But FF12 brought back all the fun and immersion for me. I think the biggest reason was because you could finally explore again, especially in the towns. One of the things I hated the most when they made the jump in graphics up to FF7 was that most everything was on a path, except for a (not very well) hidden path here and there. In 12 you could finally explore towns and dungeons again, all in 3D. Plus the combat system was very well thought out and an improvement. The story was grand, good voicing acting and a plot that didn't seem like it was made for 12 year olds. There was a HUGE world, many different monsters with their own lore. Lots of secret quests as usual for a FF game. And the graphics were mind blowing.

Took them 10 incarnations for me, but I finaly found one I liked as much or more than the second one, which was a HUGE leap in it's own right at the time.

I would agree that Chrono Trigger signaled the end of Square's 'golden age' if you will.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote