Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #401
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
How many scenes of a single car traveling a lonesome Louisiana highway and/or industrial plants and refineries were in season one?
good point. it was less annoying in season 1 as i felt intrigued by the plot/characters. Something i feel much less so far. That felt like the worst episode of the series by a mile.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #402
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough. I preferred it to last week's premiere, myself.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #403
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya, not a whole lot of good things to say about this season so far. I even had high hopes for Vince Vaughn as a gangster but they are trying to make his character too likeable
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #404
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

well one good thing i can say about the 2nd season so far(i've been disappointed)
is that the intimidation on the freeway scene with vince vaughn was pure badass!
what a way to intimidate someone.
"you must have really pissed someone off, big time. are you alright?" gold!

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #405
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Fair enough. I preferred it to last week's premiere, myself.
Way better than last weeks episode for sure.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #406
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really starting to pick up steam. Some solid dialogue, veiled backstories and innuendos. Rachel McAdams' character is very natural, and I think Farrell has been solid so far.

Complexity is starting to be woven quite well, and apart from the awkward monologue at the beginning I'm starting to buy Vaughan's character more and more.

They have turned the Noir factor up a notch, and since they don't really have the poetic pessimist character they have spread out Cohle's darkness across everyone. Kitch's character and story is the only one I'm not really interested in, but they have 6 episodes to rectify that. Potential is there.

I'm pretty sure Farrell's character isn't dead, but it would be a hell of a twist if he exited this early.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #407
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He is definitely dead
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #408
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could see Farrel still being in flashbacks though, but there is really no acceptable way for the killer to let him live
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #409
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I could see Farrel still being in flashbacks though, but there is really no acceptable way for the killer to let him live
Unless he's just not dead. He took two blasts to the torso. Might be wearing a vest.

It would be bold...very bold, to kill off your strongest performer 2 hours in. McAdams seems to be the only other one with chops enough to convincingly carry a scene.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #410
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I don't know where he would fit in any flashbacks though. His link to the whole things seems to be his ties to Vaughn's character and being a dirty cop. He probably would have had encounters in passing with the dead guy, but I don't get the impression that he is any kind of big player in Vinci.

Right now, my guess is that he was shot with something non-lethal (rubber bullets, bean bags) that would have hurt like hell but not killed him and the person who shot him wanted him to live for some other purpose.

I bet they're going to head down the path of it being a frame-job on Vaughn and Farrell will be torn between helping his "friend", helping the city, and solving the case.

I hope they don't go down the road of him surviving because he was wearing a bulletproof vest. If the killer actually wanted him dead and didn't put a bullet (or two) in his head, that's just poor storytelling.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #411
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Right now, my guess is that he was shot with something non-lethal (rubber bullets, bean bags) that would have hurt like hell but not killed him and the person who shot him wanted him to live for some other purpose.

I bet they're going to head down the path of it being a frame-job on Vaughn and Farrell will be torn between helping his "friend", helping the city, and solving the case.

I hope they don't go down the road of him surviving because he was wearing a bulletproof vest. If the killer actually wanted him dead and didn't put a bullet (or two) in his head, that's just poor storytelling.
Way, way better theory.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #412
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or Vaughn set him up because he was starting to buck.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #413
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The story Vaughn told about being locked in the basement for days and the lights going out, and the rats coming...intense. A 6 year old kid left to fend for himself like that, I found that super intense. Maybe its just me though. I happen to have a 6 year old boy so that could be why.

I'm pretty sure Farrell isn't dead, I agree that the gun likely had rubber bullets or something and the 'killer' was expecting him.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #414
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have very split opinions. Every once in a while I really enjoy what I'm seeing, but I agree that all too often it seems like a parody of itself.

At this point I'm hoping they actually killed Farrells character. There's just too many characters for my tastes, and his character is kind of ridiculously overloaded with issues. Plus it would be a seriously cool thing to do

Wikipedia lists 5 main characters and 21 recurring ones. For about 2 hours of television that's a lot characters to establish, and it shows. Most characters are just caricatures at this point.

I also feel like they started with too many storylines, trying to tell too much about the main characters and about the background right from the start. It leaves everything very shallow.

I hope it's just the start. In any case it seems that the storyline is going to be a lot more complicated this season.

I get the impression that the second season is going to try do something a bit like The Wire too. Open sociopolitical commentary, showing the same story from different angles...

In any case they certainly are not trying to just repeat the first season.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #415
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

The only thing I could see being loaded In that shot gun other than buck shot is a salt load, same boom and force, just less lethal. Shot once in the gut, once in the crotch. The crotch shot would match with the city guys wound too. I think he's dead.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #416
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Spoiler!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #417
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Really starting to pick up steam. Some solid dialogue, veiled backstories and innuendos. Rachel McAdams' character is very natural, and I think Farrell has been solid so far.
Solid in the first episode but towards the end of the second I could see some potential holes in the character

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 07-02-2015 at 11:08 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #418
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vince Vaughn just doesn't have the skills to pull off True Detective dialogue. The opening scene, where he describes his father locking him away, was cringeworthy.

I like Vince doing his thing, but that was terrible casting.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #419
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think the mayor is my favourite character.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Vince Vaughn just doesn't have the skills to pull off True Detective dialogue. The opening scene, where he describes his father locking him away, was cringeworthy.

I like Vince doing his thing, but that was terrible casting.
I think you are being overly harsh because you had preconceived notions that he couldn't pull off a role like this. He's been fine. I thought that locked in the cellar scene was pretty powerful.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: