Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Thoughts on GPS units

Going to purchase a GPS unit in the next couple weeks. Looking for a relatively modest one, something in the $250-400 range. Bluetooth isn't a necessity, but I would like one with tons of POIs and text-to-speech.

Been looking specifically at the Garmin 680 and the Magellan 4250. Open to alternatives obviously, those two are just a starting point.

I am finding it difficult for some reason wading through all the websites that offer reviews, so if anyone has any links or first hand advice they can offer up I would greatly appreciate it.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would be Gellin' with Magellan.

Sorry
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have any first hand experience with the 680 but I do know of a few people that own them and love them. However, we do own seven (Yikes!) different Garmin GPS devices and have had a good experience with every single one of them.

I did have a Magellan unit for work a while back, I don't recall the model now unfortunately, but went back to my personal Garmin unit quickly. It was a cheaper model for sure. The collegue who took it over found that it crashed on him frequently and eventually quit working completely.

It's Garmin all the way for me.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
I am finding it difficult for some reason wading through all the websites that offer reviews, so if anyone has any links or first hand advice they can offer up I would greatly appreciate it.
Same here. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was what. I haven't received it yet (it's shipping and should be here today or tomorrow), but I bought this one recently:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=G145-0090

I read a ton of reviews and nobody seemed to have a bad thing to say about this one.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I bought a blank GPS unit from Dealextreme.com for $130 which runs on Windows CE. It can play DIVX, Mp3, etc. etc. natively so it doubles as in-car entertainment center.

I just loaded my own IGO8 software and maps to it and hacked in some text to speech from a TomTom.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just loaded my own IGO8 software and maps to it and hacked in some text to speech from a TomTom.
This is why your title here on CP says Atomic Nerd?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey there. I have a Garmin 680 and it is a great unit. You might want to look at some of the cheaper models. The MSN Direct is pretty useless in Calgary. All you get are the movie listings around town and the weather. That really isn't worth much to me. I believe that you also get an FM tuner and bluetooth capabilities with it. But I don't use those features. If I had to do it again, I would probably go for the 650 to save money on features I don't use.

If Calgary had better MSN Direct functionality in Calgary, than I think the 680 would be worth the extra cost. Given the limited cities where it is available in the US, I doubt it is coming to Canada anytime soon.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
Hey there. I have a Garmin 680 and it is a great unit. You might want to look at some of the cheaper models. The MSN Direct is pretty useless in Calgary. All you get are the movie listings around town and the weather. That really isn't worth much to me. I believe that you also get an FM tuner and bluetooth capabilities with it. But I don't use those features. If I had to do it again, I would probably go for the 650 to save money on features I don't use.

If Calgary had better MSN Direct functionality in Calgary, than I think the 680 would be worth the extra cost. Given the limited cities where it is available in the US, I doubt it is coming to Canada anytime soon.

MSN Direct is also being phased out, with no new additions or functionality being added. Existing levels of service will be maintained for a number of years, but don't count on it.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the input everybody. It seems like it's Garmin or bust, just now trying to decide between a refurbished 750, a new 680, or a refurbished 650. Ebay specials.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does the blue tooth do for you in a GPS?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What does the blue tooth do for you in a GPS?
In the one I just picked up, it includes Bluetooth for hands free calling. Great way to prepare for not being allowed to hold your cell phone up to your ear when it becomes a law (which will be sooner, rather than later). Mine also allows text messaging, both incoming and outgoing on screen. It was a very important feature in my decision.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Same here. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was what. I haven't received it yet (it's shipping and should be here today or tomorrow), but I bought this one recently:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=G145-0090

I read a ton of reviews and nobody seemed to have a bad thing to say about this one.
Wow, that is a slick little device. I want one now, damn you!!

How good is the blue tooth connection though? I bought a motorola blue tooth headset and man, the thing was crap. Unless I had the phone in front of my face (kinda defeats the purpose) I could barely make out what anyone was saying.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, that is a slick little device. I want one now, damn you!!

How good is the blue tooth connection though? I bought a motorola blue tooth headset and man, the thing was crap. Unless I had the phone in front of my face (kinda defeats the purpose) I could barely make out what anyone was saying.
I just got it yesterday. Yep, it's pretty sweet...

Setting up the Bluetooth was easy, but I still have not tested it yet. Hopefully I will sometime this week and I can report back. All of the reviews I read said it was pretty decent. You are never going to get crystal clear sound, but most people said it was very good from what I've read.

I used the unit today to go to somewhere I usually go and it found a quicker way for me. On the way home I went off course to see what it would do and it recalculated very fast and knew exactly where I was going without issue.

Very happy with this purchase.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked this question in the other thread but will ask here too. With the traffic updates and such, is that a subscription service you have to pay for? If so, how much is it and where does it get that info from?

Ya, I bet it could propose a number of different routes, that's pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For my Garmin, there is a subscription service for traffic updates. Doesn't really interest me though, so I haven't looked into it.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I asked this question in the other thread but will ask here too. With the traffic updates and such, is that a subscription service you have to pay for? If so, how much is it and where does it get that info from?

Ya, I bet it could propose a number of different routes, that's pretty cool.
On the Garmin 680, the traffic updates come from MSN Direct. They do not have any traffic information coverage for Calgary. I signed up for the free trial, but found it pretty useless. After the 12 month trial, there is a fee. I can't remember exactly how much it was. If it had the traffic info, I would have paid for it.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote