Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #81
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
I cant even remember when this got terrible, used to be one of the best shows then completely unwatchable, feels like 10+ years ago, shocked they are still creating episodes
I remember watching an episode in the 2000s where they went to a ranch, and near the end of the episode some prospector crawled out of a wagon with a lame take on Gollum and thinking I haven't laughed once the whole half hour.

Looking it up, it was "Dude, Where's my Ranch" - Season 14, 2003. The Simpsons mostly died that day for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The wire is incredible. It's also dense, complicated, confusing, dark, depressing and i don't begrudge anyone for not having time for that.
And boring. Don't forget boring.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #82
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember season 2 of The Wire being a pain to get through after loving the first season. Horseface and the f-up Ziggy just couldn't hold it down on the docks compared what was going on in West Balt.

Succession is a show I had to space out the episode watching. There's only so much time I can spend with a show where every single character is a POS.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #83
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Early in season 2
Early in Season 2 was when I dropped Breaking Bad. I found it to be pretty slow moving but about six months later, I picked it back up and binged through a bunch of seasons essentially getting caught up just before the second part of the final season was about to air. It definitely got better.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #84
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
the Simpsons .. anyone?

Only because we didn’t have cable for a long time. I guess we left off at a good time.

I have given up on:

The Walking Dead
The Good Place
Every Star Trek series between TNG and Discovery.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #85
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I gave up on Succession halfway through the first season. Every character is terrible so I had no vested interest in what actually happens
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:59 AM   #86
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Horror story is another one. S1 was awesome. But afterwards it just got worse and worse. Never saw the Lady Gaga season, but supposedly it was better. Maybe one day I'll find out.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #87
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ozark. Loved so much of what they were doing, loved the actors and seeing Jason Bateman is a serious role. Waited for the up and downs but everything was just down, down, down. Man everything kept getting worse for the protaaganist and each conflict seemed insurmountable. It exhausted me to think of how much effort that family had to exert just to launder a bunch of drug money. Laundering money should be fun, not a chore. Look how much fun Locke has!
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #88
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
American Horror story is another one. S1 was awesome. But afterwards it just got worse and worse. Never saw the Lady Gaga season, but supposedly it was better. Maybe one day I'll find out.
Yeah I stuck with it for at least the first four seasons but the quality started to vary greatly after the first season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #89
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Also had to give up on Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Outlander. Both shows had interesting premises and a couple good seasons before taking huge nose dives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Oh I finished that one, but I regretted it. However, I still think that first season is some of the absolute best television I've ever seen. I highly recommend watching the first two seasons at least.
C-EXGF took a really hard turn into a different direction towards the end of the season 2, and the change in focus led to a lot more ups and downs than the laser focused initial run of the series. The musical numbers and parodies largely stayed on point for the remainder of the run, and I thought the conclusion of the series was really satisfying despite the peaks and valleys.
Spoiler!

In terms of what I've abandoned, not a lot to add here that hasn't already been mentioned. TWD (gave up when Neegan showed up), The Wire (got to the first few episodes of Season 3, I think). ER just ran forever and I lost track of if after watching it for years. Into the Badlands, I don't think I got more than an episode or two into Season 2. Banshee. The Affair. Bloodline. Killjoys (though my brother was more into that than I was). A few I haven't given up on entirely but I need to get back to - GLOW, House of Lies, Runaways, Orphan Black.

I should do a purge of the ole media library at some point.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #90
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Ozark. Loved so much of what they were doing, loved the actors and seeing Jason Bateman is a serious role. Waited for the up and downs but everything was just down, down, down. Man everything kept getting worse for the protaaganist and each conflict seemed insurmountable. It exhausted me to think of how much effort that family had to exert just to launder a bunch of drug money. Laundering money should be fun, not a chore. Look how much fun Locke has!
That reminds me of a couple of other series I gave up on for similar reasons (just constant conflict or hurdles for the main characters to the point of unbelievability): Silicon Valley and Entourage
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #91
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Did anyone ever continue with True Detective after season 1? The bad reviews kept me away from the 2nd season, although I think I heard season 3 was better. In retrospect, I don't think the first season was all that great either. Just something different that came along at the right time.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #92
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Did anyone ever continue with True Detective after season 1? The bad reviews kept me away from the 2nd season, although I think I heard season 3 was better. In retrospect, I don't think the first season was all that great either. Just something different that came along at the right time.
Season 2 was convuluted to the point of embrassment, but the performances were outstanding (especially McAdams and Farrell).

Season 3 felt like a return to form, but if you look at it closely it's almost entirely a remake of Season 1.

Based on that I'd still give a season 4 a chance should it ever get made, but nothing will ever come close to that first season brilliance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #93
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah you almost have to think of each season of True Detective as a distinct show. In isolation I enjoyed all 3, but if you are comparing to season 1, you will be disappointed.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:40 AM   #94
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The Simpsons is an interesting one.

I don't feel like I gave up on it. I still watch it on a regular basis, but classic episodes. Even my son says "Can we watch classic Simpsons?"

In the same vein, Family Guy wasn't the same after it was cancelled. First two seasons were great, but when they changed the characters and really focused on non-sequitors and offensiveness it just wasn't the same.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:49 AM   #95
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Big fan of The Wire. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I gave up on Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Succession.
Breaking Bad and Mad Men are two of my top 3. Game of Thrones s1-6 as well. I just pretend the last 2 seasons didn't happen

Loved the first 4 seasons of the wire but felt the 5th was disappointing. Characters were straight up doing things I didn't believe they should be doing. Characters develop and change but three of the good cops pretty much jumped the ethical shark to such an extent I was taken right out of it

I gave up on Ozark three times before it finally hooked me. Glad I stuck with it... amazing

Walking dead was the big one I ditched after 6 or 7 years. Just turned to absolute ####

Last edited by TheoFleury; 10-22-2022 at 07:56 AM.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #96
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westworld, S1 was great. Tried S2, just couldn't do it.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #97
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Billions - around season 4 or so suddenly everyone was doing illegal stuff. Even the prosecuting lawyers.

Ozark - in one episode several people were murdered. It just got stupid to me. I know lots of folks rave about this show though, so maybe there is something wrong with me
Old 10-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #98
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

TWD - just got repetitive
Westworld - found some people's actions unbelievable (lab techs in S1)

Currently deciding whether to quit The Handmaid's Tale... Phenomenal S1 (and S2 was good as well) but now as each season passes, I find myself more and more annoyed with June to the point she's unwatchable for me...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #99
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I've quit a bunch of shows that have already been mentioned but Deadwood is the one I should love but after many tries I haven't been able to make it through season two. It just doesn't grab me.
Every person I've talked to about Deadwood who didn't finish gave up in S2, which is fair as that season dragged compared to the others. The S2 premiere and finale are great, but the rest kinda dragged. It's a shame that slow season cost them so many viewers, because S3 is sooo good and much faster moving.

Also for those who mentioned Peaky Blinders: I love that show, but I thought the final season this past year was so bad. It was taking me 2-3 sittings to finish 1 episode at times. They kinda saved it for me with a decent finale where I'm at least willing to see the upcoming movie, but what a drop in that final season.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #100
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gave up on both Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black sometime in the second seasons.

I got almost all the way through season one of Gotham and Prodigal Son, would have liked to finish but just got behind and then I find it hard to catch up.

I got through at least one season of New Amsterdam maybe two, I can't remember, but life just gets in the way.

I think I got 10 episodes into This is Us but never went back.

Oh, and How I Met Your Mother and Community, quit both of those in the third seasons.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote