Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #61
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The number of times The Wire has been mentioned makes me feel better. I stuck it out til the end, but in no way did it come even come close to living up to its hype for me. Season two was abysmal, and the show felt like it just plain ran out of gas after S3.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #62
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are going to get pounded on when the florida guy hears this! He's jumping on a plane right now!

Never got into the wire because it was never in HD. I downloaded it a few times but can't watch anything standard def.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:21 PM   #63
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andor. Watched the first 30 minutes of the first episode, got bored and turned it off. Was looking forward to this one too. Maybe I should give it a second chance.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mad Men. Was a show about literally nothing. Boring AF the entire time. Couldn't even tell you what it was about even though I saw all but the last couple seasons. Felt like a giant weight was lifted off my chest when I decided to quit.

The Good Place. Bits and pieces were funny. Mostly couldn't get into it. Very predictable.

Walking Dead. Made it to I think season 8, where Leegan or Logan, whatever his name was, is still the bad guy. Just got bored after a while.

Deadwood. Kind of ashamed about this one but will be trying again to watch it one day. But just couldn't get into it at the time.

House of Cards.
Was done with it when the allegations of Spacey being an ass emerged.

Orange is the New Black. Gradual fall from grace.

Firefly. Made it a couple episodes in. Never caught the hype.

Chuck. Got real lame after a while.

Dexter - Watched almost all of it up to the last couple episodes of the 1st series finale. Heard it was so terrible so I never bothered to watch it. Watched New Blood and loved it, so that made up for it at least.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #65
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Well, that's what caused me to start. Been good so far though, regardless
Pretty sure Daniel Day-Lewis isn't in Billions.

He's retired.

EDIT: You must mean Damian Lewis haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:14 PM   #66
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Andor. Watched the first 30 minutes of the first episode, got bored and turned it off. Was looking forward to this one too. Maybe I should give it a second chance.
episodes 1 and 2 build up to episode 3 . you have to stick with it a bit . the episodes are short though
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #67
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pretty sure Daniel Day-Lewis isn't in Billions.

He's retired.

EDIT: You must mean Damian Lewis haha
Indeed! Oops!!!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #68
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

lasted one season of Servant. typical Shayamalanic mess where nobody reacts to the situation in a remotely believable way, along with stilted off-putting dialogue.

other than Ted Lasso S1, I've found my experience with Apple shows to be bizarre. there's something about them that just doesn't feel totally right or "natural" despite the critical and fan acclaim a lot of them get.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #69
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't finished the final season of The Sopranos. Only reason was moving away from home and losing the HBO subscription but have always meant to watch the entire series from the start.

Looking at previously loved animated shows I gave up on the Simpsons around S15, Family Guy around S12, and South Park around S21.

Also had to give up on Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Outlander. Both shows had interesting premises and a couple good seasons before taking huge nose dives. The worst one of all was Star Trek Discovery that wasn't even interesting from the start and I'm not sure how I even lasted the entire first season.

Am currently on a hiatus from Peaky Blinders, Ozark, and The Expanse but hope to get back into these soon.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just to clarify because I think some people are confusing gave up on and was never interested in at all.

If you watched a few episodes and stopped, you didn’t give up on a show. You never liked it in the first place. Watching and enjoying a show for at least a season is a prerequisite to give up on it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 09:48 PM   #71
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orange is the new black is one I forgot I gave up until this thread !

Really steep decline after the first two seasons. Never finished , and forgot it even existed until just now !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #72
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh here's a good one....Peeky Blinders. Start of the 3rd season. I just didn't like anyone. It was a show about a bunch of pretty awful people.

I agree with Cecil, it only counts as giving up if you gave it a real crack. With so much good content now, I am more willing to drop a show. Before I would stick it out no matter what (as I'm doing with TWD I suppose) with shows like How I Met your Mother. I did drop Big Bang Theory really late when they turned Sheldon into a straight up dick who treated is girlfriend like garbage.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:43 PM   #73
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

the Simpsons .. anyone?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #74
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The number of times The Wire has been mentioned makes me feel better. I stuck it out til the end, but in no way did it come even come close to living up to its hype for me. Season two was abysmal, and the show felt like it just plain ran out of gas after S3.
Watching The Wire reminds me of a job I worked at for about 4 years, despite hating every minute of it. When I finally shed the yoke that was The Wire and quit letting that millstone drag me under, it was revitalizing - like quitting that horrible job was.
I never even made it through season two - your commitment to grind it out to the end is impressive. Or something.

I actually think there is some secret group (Cali is president) who gets great pleasure in extolling the virtues of the Wire, when their praise of it is actually just one massive organized troll job.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:25 AM   #75
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Also had to give up on Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Outlander. Both shows had interesting premises and a couple good seasons before taking huge nose dives.
Oh I finished that one, but I regretted it. However, I still think that first season is some of the absolute best television I've ever seen. I highly recommend watching the first two seasons at least.

And as for The Wire, I fully understand how some people wouldn't enjoy it. I just love that style of show, where everything is depicted in heartbreaking reality without any real solution or resolution given to the audience. Characters sometimes grow, but many just stay the same and suffer the consequences of their hubris. Too many shows want to have definitive character arcs and a clear plot with an end goal in mind, which is traditional story telling and is usually a good way to entertain. I just think that The Wire broke the mould a little while also presenting a clear picture of why modern America deals with so many entrenched problems in their cities and institutions. They also change their focus every season which keeps it relatively fresh as new themes are always being explored (1: gangs and policing, 2: drug import and declining white working class, 3: money and politics, 4: schools and at risk youth, 5: decline of journalism). They're all interlinked and revisited at various points too, so you can see how everything connects and feeds upon itself. The problems seem inescapable, despite everyone's best efforts.

In the end, it's not about any one person, it's about the slow decay of American cities. I guess I just love something that tries to look at a topic on that scale.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 10-20-2022 at 04:34 AM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #76
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
the Simpsons .. anyone?
I cant even remember when this got terrible, used to be one of the best shows then completely unwatchable, feels like 10+ years ago, shocked they are still creating episodes
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #77
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The wire is incredible. It's also dense, complicated, confusing, dark, depressing and i don't begrudge anyone for not having time for that.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #78
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The wire is incredible. It's also dense, complicated, confusing, dark, depressing and i don't begrudge anyone for not having time for that.
Big fan of The Wire. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I gave up on Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Succession.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #79
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Big fan of The Wire. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I gave up on Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Succession.
lol. like where did you give up on BB? the 2nd episode?

oh i think we all gave up after game 4 of the 2nd playoff series for the Flames last year.....
Old 10-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #80
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol. like where did you give up on BB? the 2nd episode?

oh i think we all gave up after game 4 of the 2nd playoff series for the Flames last year.....
Early in season 2
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote