Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #101
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
With what cap space? I think each guy will get a minimum of 5m
We have Gillies and Parsons signed. You make the space for a goalie. Dont pretend like that isn't priority #1, even over Tkachuk.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #102
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
We have Gillies and Parsons signed. You make the space for a goalie. Dont pretend like that isn't priority #1, even over Tkachuk.
I just think Lehner will for sure be too expensive, though he is who I would like too if the cap space could be figured out. Varlamov is okay but I definately like Lehner better. At the end of the day I think Talbot on a 2 year 2.5-3m deal or somewhere there abouts will be what happens. We simply can't afford a 5m+ goalie thanks to Neal and Stone.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #103
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is not for cost certainty. Sparks was so shaky that by the end of the season they gave him 10 days just to work with coaches to get his game back.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...0-94cdc6b9301d

Leafs ideally want a $750k cap hit goalie as a backup with their cap issues. They are shopping him because they aren't sure they can rely on him again.
interesting... didn't realize he had those issues.

i wonder if he'll be able to regain his form...my original thinking was that he could be a young guy to back up Rittich who could eventually challenge for starts.

the other approach is to get a solid veteran backup to help mentor Rittich...

I don't know if calgary will try to pursue one of the top goalies on the market simply due to cost...if Rittich lands say 3m...i don't know if Calgary can afford another goalie at 5...

we'll see i guess
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #104
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm higher on Gillies than most here, I thought he looked better than Rittich in the pre-season...
Gillies did look better than Rittich in the pre-season, but history shows that Training Camp and exhibition games are virtually worthless for evaluating goalies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #105
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Gillies did look better than Rittich in the pre-season, but history shows that Training Camp and exhibition games are virtually worthless for evaluating goalies.

Yeah I'm not for a second suggesting that he's better than Rittich or even NHL ready, just that he's better than what he's been able to show in the AHL.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #106
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Assuming that Smith is willing to re-sign for cheap (e.g. one year @ $2-3M), Rittich as 1A and Smith as the 1B should be fine. If there are goalie issues, the Flames could always make a trade in spring.

I'm torn on Gillies though. He's turning 26 years old this upcoming season... it might be time to accept that he is what he is, and cut him loose to ensure that Parsons and Zagidulin get playing time on the Heat
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #107
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames goaltending 2019-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
interesting... didn't realize he had those issues.

i wonder if he'll be able to regain his form...my original thinking was that he could be a young guy to back up Rittich who could eventually challenge for starts...
I don’t think there is any chance the Flames enter the season with Rittich and a rookie goaltender. I believe Rittich will probably split starts with another more proven NHL goalie like Cam Talbot, Michal Neuvirth or Keith Kinkaid—hell, I would be unsurprised to see Mike Smith back. The situation will be very similar to last year, and ideally Rittich will start 50 games.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #108
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gillies also had a better last half season than Rittich did although one was in the AHL and the other was in the NHL. It would've been nice to see Gillies rewarded with a couple of starts to close out the regular season.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #109
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Gillies also had a better last half season than Rittich did although one was in the AHL and the other was in the NHL. It would've been nice to see Gillies rewarded with a couple of starts to close out the regular season.
Rittich was nursing a nagging injury suffered in the New Year’s Eve game. This coincides almost precisely with his sudden decline in play in January, and there is some realistic hope that this was the root of his second half struggles.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #110
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the cap space the Flames have right now I think Curtis McElhinney might be the best option. A UFA that won’t cost any assets or big time $$$/term.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #111
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
With the cap space the Flames have right now I think Curtis McElhinney might be the best option. A UFA that won’t cost any assets or big time $$$/term.

I would agree, but there has been some speculation that McElhinney has no interest in returning to Calgary. He’s going to get multiple offers, and given the scuttlebutt I am fairly certain he will sign elsewhere.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #112
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans have a history of wanting to find an injury reason whenever a player doesn't play up to their expectations. Remember Brouwer's finger injury or whatever it was?

Lots of talk about Rittich's lingering injury last year but I'm hopeful Flames management aren't putting much stock in that and that whatever goalie option the team goes with isn't dependent on Rittich playing at a level that he has yet been able to sustain.

I'm sure Rittich will be part of the solution, but I suppose there is at least a possibility a new #1 comes in for next year if Treliving starts shedding salary.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #113
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the most interesting part of the goalie situation, is that we have no idea which direction the flames are thinking of going. Are they going to get a new 1b goalie to battle with Ritch? re-sign smith for the 1b position? Go out and get a more proven 1a option and have rich be the back-up? while very unlikely, go and get 2 new goalies?

I really have no idea which way they are thinking.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #114
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Treliving had a few chats with Doug Armstrong on the draft floor. The Blues probably don't want to pay 2 goalies close to $5M so its possible the Flames are looking at Allen.

Sorry.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #115
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The complete radio silence we've heard from the Flames' brass so far this summer, apart from the usual say-nothing interviews, is really very jarring. The only things we've heard are that Brodie might be available, but that they don't want to move him.

On the goaltending front... absolutely nothing.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #116
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a really bad feeling about James Reimer with salary retention being the goalie we end up with.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #117
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I would agree, but there has been some speculation that McElhinney has no interest in returning to Calgary. He’s going to get multiple offers, and given the scuttlebutt I am fairly certain he will sign elsewhere.

If that’s the case then I guess Cam Talbot at 1 yr wouldn’t be terrible. I also doubt Mike Smith will want to come back. There aren’t a ton of quality options available, so I guess we’ll see what’s available.

I could actually see the Flames being a destination team for a lot of goaltenders. An open 1A-1B position with a team that can score and suppress shots. If I’m a goaltender, I’d be all over the Flames with the idea of striking it rich after a solid year.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #118
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Smith would love to come back. He's still in town.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #119
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I have a really bad feeling about James Reimer with salary retention being the goalie we end up with.

I’d prefer Reimer over Allen at this point. Jake Allen might be one of the worst goaltenders in the league with what Binnington did this season. A career AHLer goes on to win the Stanley Cup with the Blues while Allen finds a way to plunge that same team into the league’s basement.

I get Brian Elliott vibes from Allen and that’s a scary thought as he has 2 years left on his deal.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
For me the most interesting part of the goalie situation, is that we have no idea which direction the flames are thinking of going. Are they going to get a new 1b goalie to battle with Ritch? re-sign smith for the 1b position? Go out and get a more proven 1a option and have rich be the back-up? while very unlikely, go and get 2 new goalies?

I really have no idea which way they are thinking.
The one thing we do know is that they have very little money to play with and that a big splash may mean taking a less than favorable deal in moving more salary out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good