Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #2321
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Is Johnny above criticism? That was a terrible play that cost his team at least one point. Why can’t that be said?
Nope, but you can criticize the play of your team, or a specific play, without giving names. The player knows he was the goat anyhow. No need to smear their face in it.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #2322
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Is it me or has it been a really long time since we heard from Treliving?

As much as it sounds like the players despised Hartley by the time he was let go this group has proved to me they can’t move forward with the move guy coach. If they hire Sutter this team will lock things down defensively and make the playoffs while potentially making a run. He might only be a 3 year coach but Treliving needs to address this and do it soon
But if he can bring home the cup in these 3 years, I'm all for it. But I don't know if Sutter would want to come back.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #2323
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Is it me or has it been a really long time since we heard from Treliving?

As much as it sounds like the players despised Hartley by the time he was let go this group has proved to me they can’t move forward with the move guy coach. If they hire Sutter this team will lock things down defensively and make the playoffs while potentially making a run. He might only be a 3 year coach but Treliving needs to address this and do it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
But if he can bring home the cup in these 3 years, I'm all for it. But I don't know if Sutter would want to come back.
How much longevity do coaches have these days anyhow. I mean, in the past, sure, so coaches like Toe Blake, Al Arbour to a certain extent, Scotty Bowman, and now Babcock had longevity.

But these days no results usually means no job. If you think you have a small window to truly do something, you fire the coach who is not getting it done and hire the coach who has got it done.

And you know what? Players will put up with a tough coach if they see results on the ice. I can't imagine how frustrated the Flames must be right now.

Well, actually I can when I see them on the ice.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #2324
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Nope, but you can criticize the play of your team, or a specific play, without giving names. The player knows he was the goat anyhow. No need to smear their face in it.
He was asked about the play and answered the question
Johnny doesn’t need to be treated with kid gloves
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #2325
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Can we try that poll? No harm in tossing it up, it's probably the hottest issue on the board right now.

Do you want to replace Glen Gulutzen as head coach of the Flames? Yes/No.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #2326
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t call the player that carried the coaches ass all season out.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #2327
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Can we try that poll? No harm in tossing it up, it's probably the hottest issue on the board right now.

Do you want to replace Glen Gulutzen as head coach of the Flames? Yes/No.
I imagine it will be largely in favour of him getting axed. I don't even know if he's got any true supporters that feel he's a great coach as it's more fans that are just hoping he works out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #2328
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I imagine it will be largely in favour of him getting axed. I don't even know if he's got any true supporters that feel he's a great coach as it's more fans that are just hoping he works out.
I think he actually has quite a bit of genuine support here. Even in a game thread last week someone pointed out that no one can still support Gulutzan and someone replied aggressively with "Not everyone thinks he isn't the right coach!!" which received a boatload of thanks.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #2329
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The most frustrating aspect about this whole situation is that there is a clear upgrade at the coaching position sitting on a farm somewhere in Alberta.

Treliving always talks about always looking to improve the team, well the biggest improvement you can make is available. It's like if there was a prime Brett Hull available to sign as a UFA but the Flames won't sign him because Ferland, Frolik, Hathaway and Brouwer are already there and filling in "decently".

Trading for a top line RWer would improve the team, but it would only improve one aspect of the team and likely weaken another with the assets you'd have to give up.

The Flames have the opportunity to improve the entire team with one easy decision with no asset loss.

GG has been given enough rope already, and he's hung himself with it. Does he honestly look like a coach who can lead a team to a Stanley Cup?

The Bolded is a good point. What does Brad Treliving have to lose? At least he can save face or at least save the season. If you brought in Darryl Sutter now it could turn out making BT look like a very good GM. Even if the Flames didn't play well under Darryl it put onus on certain players to get with the program.

I believe that Darryl has the ability to show the team and the organization what it takes to win in the short and long term. This is what good good coaches do and this would be very good for our young players to experience.
Look what Badger Bob did for the Flames and for the Penguins; He started a winning tradition that lasted for a long period of time.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #2330
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
The Bolded is a good point. What does Brad Treliving have to lose? At least he can save face or at least save the season. If you brought in Darryl Sutter now it could turn out making BT look like a very good GM. Even if the Flames didn't play well under Darryl it put onus on certain players to get with the program.

I believe that Darryl has the ability to show the team and the organization what it takes to win in the short and long term. This is what good good coaches do and this would be very good for our young players to experience.
Look what Badger Bob did for the Flames and for the Penguins he started a winning tradition that lasted for a long period of time.
As good as tres been as he gm he’s shown his weaknesses! Lazar, Brouwer, granlund, baerrachi, Elliot, hilller and his stubbornness.

Right now, I can say with certainty his cheapness on the goalie front caused us a series and his stubbornness, with regards to gg, has caused failure this season.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #2331
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d like to know the fan bases of each underperforming team are calling for a head coaching change as much as we are.

Pittsburgh - currently out of a playoff spot. Highly unlikely given back to back cups.

Ottawa - after making the conference finals are now 2nd last in the east. Like Gulutzan, Boucher is in his 2nd year.

Edmonton - huge expectation after last year. Fans have been calling for McLellan’s head all year. In his 3rd year.

Montreal - god awful start, playing better recently. Julien hasn’t even been there a full year yet.

Anaheim - conference finals last year, currently below Calgary. In his 2nd year back as well.

We’re hardly the only team that’s been disappointing so far. Are any of these teams also looking for a head coaching switch? As far as I can’t tell, only Edmonton’s fan base is asking for a change. We’re still in striking distance of the playoffs and the team has historically performed better in the 2nd half, but I don’t envy Treliving right now. Hope and pray they have a much better 2nd half or cut your losses and look for the boost a coaching change can sometimes give a team? Huge decision looming.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #2332
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

Look what Badger Bob did for the Flames and for the Penguins; He started a winning tradition that lasted for a long period of time.
I have nothing to back this up, but just from past rumors I wouldn't be surprised if a coaching change isn't exactly as simple as Brad deciding to make a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #2333
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I’d like to know the fan bases of each underperforming team are calling for a head coaching change as much as we are.

Pittsburgh - currently out of a playoff spot. Highly unlikely given back to back cups.

Ottawa - after making the conference finals are now 2nd last in the east. Like Gulutzan, Boucher is in his 2nd year.

Edmonton - huge expectation after last year. Fans have been calling for McLellan’s head all year. In his 3rd year.

Montreal - god awful start, playing better recently. Julien hasn’t even been there a full year yet.

Anaheim - conference finals last year, currently below Calgary. In his 2nd year back as well.

We’re hardly the only team that’s been disappointing so far. Are any of these teams also looking for a head coaching switch? As far as I can’t tell, only Edmonton’s fan base is asking for a change. We’re still in striking distance of the playoffs and the team has historically performed better in the 2nd half, but I don’t envy Treliving right now. Hope and pray they have a much better 2nd half or cut your losses and look for the boost a coaching change can sometimes give a team? Huge decision looming.
It would be hard to believe there hasn't been calls for coaching changes in Anaheim and Ottawa. Ottawa is a unique case as ownership has clearly stepped in and made things worse (trading Turris because he'd want a huge raise this off season and instantly plummeting down the standings) and the fans are angrily pointed that direction.

Are you saying that you've been looking for cases of these teams fans asking for change and haven't found it or that you haven't been looking and haven't heard anything?
Old 12-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #2334
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It would be hard to believe there hasn't been calls for coaching changes in Anaheim and Ottawa. Ottawa is a unique case as ownership has clearly stepped in and made things worse (trading Turris because he'd want a huge raise this off season and instantly plummeting down the standings) and the fans are angrily pointed that direction.

Are you saying that you've been looking for cases of these teams fans asking for change and haven't found it or that you haven't been looking and haven't heard anything?

I’ve been looking and haven’t found much. I mean there’s always a couple vocal posters who are calling for Boucher and Carlyle’s heads but us and Edmonton appear to be the only groups that are REALLY serious about it. Even Edmonton has quieted down with their win streak.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #2335
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I’ve been looking and haven’t found much. I mean there’s always a couple vocal posters who are calling for Boucher and Carlyle’s heads but us and Edmonton appear to be the only groups that are REALLY serious about it. Even Edmonton has quieted down with their win streak.
Well, Anaheim has had devastating injuries, so can't blame the coach, and Ottawa had Karlsson out and then made an idiotic owner-mandated trade, so hard to blame the coach there too.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #2336
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
GG has angry supporters on here i felt the wrath a few days back lol
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #2337
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I’ve actually cancelled my Nhl game centre and refuse to buy anything flames related until the coach is axed.

Take that flames I’m illegally streaming your games
Old 12-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #2338
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
So I’ve actually cancelled my Nhl game centre and refuse to buy anything flames related until the coach is axed.

Take that flames I’m illegally streaming your games

I think you probably need to step back a bit; it is normal for fans to get a bit frustrated say things but don't need to take it personally. No need to cancel and do illegal things. Enjoy your Christmas. No need to protest after all it is just entertainment!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #2339
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think you probably need to step back a bit; it is normal for fans to get a bit frustrated say things but don't need to take it personally. No need to cancel and do illegal things. Enjoy your Christmas. No need to protest after all it is just entertainment!
I’m just joking around man
Old 12-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #2340
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I’m just joking around man
Whew okay good!! You had me worried! Do enjoy your Christmas!