Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #1121
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sticking one of bouma or stajan in the minors helps solve some of that as well as giving Calgary some cap relief.
Bouma could easily find himself in Stockton after training camp - he will be feeling the heat from the kids.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #1122
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sticking one of bouma or stajan in the minors helps solve some of that as well as giving Calgary some cap relief.
I suggested in the Johnson thread about trading Bouma (or Stajan for that matter) tonthe Hurricanes for Eddie Lack. Chris Johnston speculated Lack as a possible backup due to familiarity with Gulutzan and the fact Carolina has 3 goalies. Swapping him for Bouma is a wash
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #1123
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
So, Doan will be a bust with the Flames?

I will be okay with Doan at league minimum up to 1 million.
Thanked for the clever pun (waist/bust). No thanks to Doan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #1124
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry but it is a pass from me on all of these ageing vets (Iggy, Doan, Marleau, every last one of them), we do not need another player that cannot keep up with the speed of todays game. Leave the spaces for some of the Stockton guys to fight for. If you take them all away with vets making big money for no effort you take away any incentive for progression. AND please don't give me the line of "if they are good enough to beat out the vet for a place then they deserve it and the vet will get sent down or sit". Really, you think the team is going to sign Marleau and then have him sit, I don't think so.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #1125
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Sorry but it is a pass from me on all of these ageing vets (Iggy, Doan, Marleau, every last one of them), we do not need another player that cannot keep up with the speed of todays game. Leave the spaces for some of the Stockton guys to fight for. If you take them all away with vets making big money for no effort you take away any incentive for progression. AND please don't give me the line of "if they are good enough to beat out the vet for a place then they deserve it and the vet will get sent down or sit". Really, you think the team is going to sign Marleau and then have him sit, I don't think so.
Marleau has incredible speed.

At the same time though, a 3 year deal for Marleau (at 37) makes him much less appealing.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1126
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marleau signing is not likely realistic - as he is likely looking for a four year term and it would not make sense to go more than two for the Flames. And that is before you even get to AAV which is not likely to be under $5MM.

Very unlikely this deal could get done with the Flames.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #1127
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Marleau has incredible speed.

At the same time though, a 3 year deal for Marleau (at 37) makes him much less appealing.
Based on the cap structure of the team I don't think they can afford to go over 2 years on any big money deal. I assume Tkachuk and Bennett will both need (hopefully) big contracts in 2 seasons.

I wonder if Vanek could be a target?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #1128
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
If its not Marleau I dont want anyone
I'd also accept Patrick Sharp.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #1129
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Marleau signing is not likely realistic - as he is likely looking for a four year term
no one is signing a 38 year old winger to a four year term. Even the fastest skaters slow down.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #1130
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
no one is signing a 38 year old winger to a four year term. Even the fastest skaters slow down.
At this rate the rumours will be saying Marleau's looking for a 5 year deal in a couple of days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #1131
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't get on board with Doan. Maybe if Treliving doesn't sign Brouwer you could look at bringing him in for a season but the team already has an unproductive veteran player on the roster and can't afford to waist a roster spot on an another potential unproductive vet.
This is the issue with Doan IMO.

He brings similar elements to the game as Brouwer (Physicality, RH Shot, Leadership, etc) except that Doan actually made all his teammates better last year, while Brouwer made all his teammates worse.

If you could get rid of Brouwer, then you bring in Doan as a cheap replacement, but I don't see room for both of them on the team.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #1132
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

McKenzie reporting Jets have significant interest in Mason

and 1130 Sports in Vancouver is reporting Philly has very good interest in Elliott
Old 06-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #1133
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
McKenzie reporting Jets have significant interest in Mason

and 1130 Sports in Vancouver is reporting Philly has very good interest in Elliott
LOL, I'm not sure either franchise will ever get their goaltending figured out. They keep going for lame duck starters and ending up with lame duck starters. What do they think is going to happen? These guys become Vezina contenders overnight?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #1134
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I don't know why they keep making lateral moves to their already underwhelming goaltending that clearly needs improving. I suppose Elliott has a chance of catching fire, and I hope so for his sake. But I also am skeptical and don't know why these GMs aren't equally so.

I guess this is why the Flyers and Jets are continually stuck in no man's land between lottery team and perennial playoff team.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #1135
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both teams have young goalies who they think eventually will be starters but not quite ready yet. Makes sense to get a stop gap to help compete now.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #1136
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not so sure that Flames fans should be mocking the Jets or Flyers on their goalies. Mason and Elliott were looking like our best options prior to the Smith trade and it is not like Smith is worlds ahead of either.

At the end of the day I am happy the Flames did not bring back Elliott and if Mason gets more than 2 years $4.25M then I prefer Smith as well otherwise Mason would have edged Smith on my list
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #1137
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am not so sure that Flames fans should be mocking the Jets or Flyers on their goalies. Mason and Elliott were looking like our best options prior to the Smith trade and it is not like Smith is worlds ahead of either.

At the end of the day I am happy the Flames did not bring back Elliott and if Mason gets more than 2 years $4.25M then I prefer Smith as well otherwise Mason would have edged Smith on my list
Man I don't give a good goddam if we have the worst goalies on the planet for my entire lifetime. We should ALWAYS mock other teams as we see fit. Philly is a goalie graveyard and the Jets suck out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #1138
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Man I don't give a good goddam if we have the worst goalies on the planet for my entire lifetime. We should ALWAYS mock other teams as we see fit. Philly is a goalie graveyard and the Jets suck out loud.
Fair enough I would rather not throw stones when living in a glass house unless it is the Oilers, Leafs, Canucks
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #1139
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured Marleau would just be 100% a pipe dream but to hear that Tre is actually showing interest is pretty exciting. 37 years old but the guy can still play.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #1140
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I figured Marleau would just be 100% a pipe dream but to hear that Tre is actually showing interest is pretty exciting. 37 years old but the guy can still play.
Where was it reported we are actually interested?
Closed Thread