Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #61
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Nigel Dawes wasn't that bad as a Flame. 32pts in 66gp? That's about what I expect Kovalchuk to produce next season.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #62
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Marleau does. I expect kovalchuk to as well.
That is one...who hasn't hit 30. The problem with Kovalchuk is that he was never a fast skater, I think he will struggle bit time.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #63
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could JVR be signed for the same contract or is the money and term going to be higher?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #64
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That is one...who hasn't hit 30.
Did you just move the goalposts? I said average 25-30, and so did you previously.

Marleau
35yo - 19g
36yo - 25g
37yo - 27g
38yo - 27g

Iginla
35yo - 26g pace (lockout season)
36yo - 30g
37yo - 29g
38yo - 22g

Thornton
35yo - 65pts
36yo - 82pts
37yo - 50pts
38yo - 63pt pace (missed 35 games to injury)

Thornton never was a goal scorer, but it's clear from the above that he was still a highly productive player at those ages.

It is not out of the ordinary at all for elite players to maintain their production into their mid-late 30s anymore.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Did you just move the goalposts? I said average 25-30, and so did you previously.

Marleau
35yo - 19g
36yo - 25g
37yo - 27g
38yo - 27g

Iginla
35yo - 26g pace (lockout season)
36yo - 30g
37yo - 29g
38yo - 22g

Thornton
35yo - 65pts
36yo - 82pts
37yo - 50pts
38yo - 63pt pace (missed 35 games to injury)

Thornton never was a goal scorer, but it's clear from the above that he was still a highly productive player at those ages.

It is not out of the ordinary at all for elite players to maintain their production into their mid-late 30s anymore.
I didn't move anything...just said he hasn't hit 30 goals

He also wasn't slow to begin with and didn't leave the league for five years.

Signing a 35 year old UFA to a multiyear contract over 5M rarely works out in this league. Now add to that the guy hasn't played in the top league for years. Sorry if I have my doubts, big time.

To assume he is going to be the best scorer in the NHL at his age playing for the Kings of all teams is a pretty big leap.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #66
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
It's not at all comparable though. Kovalchuk has shown that he is an elite scorer at the NHL level, while Dawes has shown to be no more than an AHL/NHL tweener. It's irrelevant how similar their stats are in a lesser league.

Roman Cervenka and Artemi Panarin put up nearly identical stats in 2013/14 while both playing for St. Petersburg SKA, and much like Kovalchuk and Dawes, Panarin has shown to be an elite player in the NHL while Cervenka didn't appear to be anything more than a tweener.
I'm not cherry picking a single year of stats.This is 5 years of stats, same league, same time.

Nevermind the former GM brought Cervenka over touted as a center until he arrived and the player said he prefers wing. So he was behind from the start.

Absolutely Kovalchuk, back in the day 6 plus years ago was a good scorer. He won his Rocket Richard trophy 15 years ago this week, as us Flames fans were lementing the SCF loss a week and a half earlier.

I think Dawes is a great story that he's at or near the top of the KHL scoring the past half decade.

But my point stands, if a GM is going to pay a player for their last 5 years of point production, Dawes would be getting close to 6m a year.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #67
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty disappointing that the Flames weren’t even in the running for Kovalchuk. He’s exactly what we could’ve used especially with the gargantuan amount of cap space we have. We barely have any assets left to trade and a free high quality UFA would help so much.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of those threads I am really looking forward to bumping down the road sometime
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #69
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This is one of those threads I am really looking forward to bumping down the road sometime
Bump it in 18 months when he suddenly goes on LTIR and Kings get cap relief and he gets paid.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Pretty disappointing that the Flames weren’t even in the running for Kovalchuk. He’s exactly what we could’ve used especially with the gargantuan amount of cap space we have. We barely have any assets left to trade and a free high quality UFA would help so much.
Not a chance Kovalchuk would sign in Calgary....nothing management can do about that.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love this contract. He was not exactly lighting things up in the KHL against inferior goaltenders and defensive players so I'm not sure why teams are thinking he's going to be able to elevate his game in the NHL at his age.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not a chance Kovalchuk would sign in Calgary....nothing management can do about that.
They were discussing on 960 yesterday that Calgary isn't an attractive location right now for a lot of players because it's a small market Canadian team and the arena situation. There's just no way that Calgary was even a blip on Kovalchuk's radar.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #73
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Is it though?

I absolutely hated it.
Post office paying better than I thought.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #74
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is a huge mistake for the Kings and I love it. Really glad Treliving didn’t pursue this one. He hasn’t played against NHL quality players in 6 years and is 35 years old. That contract is going to end up being a massive over payment. But we all know Bettman will let the Kings of the hook with some sort of BS when Kovalchuk doesn’t even get 20 and 20 next year.