Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If true that Fox not available, would reinforce the theory that the Flames are confident they can sign him.
If that's the case I'm super happy. I want Fox in a Flames Jersey at the end of this year's collage season. Burn a year is fine with me!

Last edited by Moneyhands23; 06-22-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hamonic is absolutely the d man the Flames should be looking at trading.

Of course you're not getting the equivalent of what they gave up to get him last year but you can't let that sunk cost keep you from doing what's best for the team.

He's a #4 guy at best, basically provides 0 offence and while supposed to be a good defensive dman he's actually been bad at that for 3 consecutive years. Yes he's a good character guy and I'm sure he's good in the room but he's still very over-rated however because of his perceived value i think you could probly get a good 2nd line winger type in return for him like Nino Niederreiter or someone of that ilk and a trade like that really helps the team.

Would much rather keep Brodie over Hamonic and Brodie could also play the right side. Yes Brodie struggled last year but IMO his bounce back potential is much higher than Hamonic's.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to home_sweet_dome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've honestly banked that since Conroy said something like "he wants to play one more year"

Spells it out to me ... granted the guy is a yapper

Anyone wonder if the team face palms when he goes on radio or do they like having a mouth guy with Treliving reserved?
Tre: Okay, Craig. I know you're going on the radio. Don't mention anything about the big trade we're working on.

Craig: You got it, boss! Not a word from me. I'll be silent on the issue. Not a peep. I won't say at thing!

Tre: <sighs>

an hour later:

Kerr: So, Craig, what's happening with the Flames on draft weekend.

Craig: Tre's alway talking to people but nothing has materialized. We're making HUGE TRADES! ALL THE PLAYERS. We're getting them. Hamilton could be traded to Carolina. Fox won't be traded, unless we trade him! Hamonic could be available for the right price! C'mon down GMs, get your defensemen here!

Tre (listening to radio): <sobbing>
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like that thinking.

Ideally you add (like they would if they deal Hamilton), but why treat an old trade like a hurdle when you can treat it like a sunk cost and make the best decision today?

Teams need to hire a guy and have him make the best decisions today, not look into the dark corners for his shadows.
It doesn't have to be a 1st and two 2nd's exactly, but you better at least recover the value of that package, and if trading him today makes the team better now and down the road a bit, then I'm all for it.

I'd just hate to see him dealt to say TO, for the 25th overall and a 2019 3rd or something like that. That would be a high price to pay for one year of Hamonic where the team failed miserably and missed the playoffs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
I've honestly banked that since Conroy said something like "he wants to play one more year"

Spells it out to me ... granted the guy is a yapper

Anyone wonder if the team face palms when he goes on radio or do they like having a mouth guy with Treliving reserved?
As a fan, I appreciate Conroy a ton instead of a bunch of cliches. I don't really think he gives us inside info though. I think we read into what he says a bit too much because it isn't the usual boring crap we hear from most.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #26
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some of these comments about Hamonic are remarkably poor observations.

We've seen d-men struggle when joining new teams / systems never mind the one we had going on here last season with our coaching staff.

I thought Hamonic was remarkably solid the second half of the year after settling in.

I don't believe this "rumour" for a second. That's not to say he's untouchable... anyone could be traded if it makes sense. But the notion he's a poor defender is dense. He has a great contract and is a physical and stabilizing presence in the back end.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #27
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It doesn't have to be a 1st and two 2nd's exactly, but you better at least recover the value of that package, and if trading him today makes the team better now and down the road a bit, then I'm all for it.

I'd just hate to see him dealt to say TO, for the 25th overall and a 2019 3rd or something like that. That would be a high price to pay for one year of Hamonic where the team failed miserably and missed the playoffs.
Agreed, but it does open up room for your young guys to get a shot like Andersson. Would solidify him having the 4th spot out of the gates this year which I think he's ready for.

But I do agree, it would sting knowing we have up far more last year.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like that thinking.

Ideally you add (like they would if they deal Hamilton), but why treat an old trade like a hurdle when you can treat it like a sunk cost and make the best decision today?

Teams need to hire a guy and have him make the best decisions today, not look into the dark corners for his shadows.
I agree with this 100% Bingo. And would take some guts for BT to do this.

Being brave, ignoring sunk costs and being unafraid of criticism are great qualities but ultimately, you need a GM who can can make great trades too.

Can't see this happening personally.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

For sure ... and I like Hamonic.

I'm just saying if I own or run a team I tell my GM that every trade is sunk, what is the best thing to do today.

If the value on Hamilton isn't there, and Brodie isn't getting you what you want and you deem the value offered for Hamonic is the way to go, I'd hate to see it stalled by what he paid for the asset last year.

Plus one year less on his contract and a year older is a reduction anyway.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Glad Fox is labeled as unavailable
I'm not sure I agree. His value could be at its absolute highest now, especially if the team has problems signing him. Considering the log jam on the blue line it would make sense to sell high on the kid as a means to upgrade at forward.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #31
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
So Treliving has Hamilton and Hamonic's name out? Flames must be doing a major shakeup on the backend.
Does he?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #32
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I've been saying it, I'd move Hamonic before Brodie or Hamilton.

He is as mediocre as they come. We are not going to get what we paid for him but I say wash our hands of him while we still can.

This whole idea that Hamonic was so good in the second half is simply not accurate. I know a lot of Flames fans checked out and stopped watching games but I watched them all. Hamonic was VERY underwhelming. People love to place blame on Brodie but IMO Hamonic was just as much if not more of a problem on that 2nd pairing.

Great guy, not a great hockey player.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #33
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post

This whole idea that Hamonic was so good in the second half is simply not accurate. I know a lot of Flames fans checked out and stopped watching games but I watched them all. Hamonic was VERY underwhelming. People love to place blame on Brodie but IMO Hamonic was just as much if not more of a problem on that 2nd pairing.

Great guy, not a great hockey player.
This is just such a poor observation on every point presented and wasn't the case at all over the second half of the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So just to be clear, Friedman says Fox's name is out there whereas Brooks says he isn't?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #35
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So just to be clear, Friedman says Fox's name is out there whereas Brooks says he isn't?
Fox might be out there for some teams and not others.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #36
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Or it could be teams are asking the Flames for Fox in trade talks, but the Flames are saying they won't trade him.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #37
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
This is just such a poor observation on every point presented and wasn't the case at all over the second half of the season.
Sorry, I agree with CsInMyBlood. Was totally underwhelmed with Hamonic all year. I don't get the criticism of TJ and the applause for Travis.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #38
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brooksy haha

TBone290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #39
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Sorry, I agree with CsInMyBlood. Was totally underwhelmed with Hamonic all year. I don't get the criticism of TJ and the applause for Travis.
You don't need to be sorry, it's just a poor observation. Hamonic was physical and stable in the 2nd half of the season. He's not flashy but that kind of solid stabilizing play is coveted and why teams were willing to pay a high price.

To call him mediocre and suggest we just "wash our hands of him" is beyond weak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #40
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
You don't need to be sorry, it's just a poor observation. Hamonic was physical and stable in the 2nd half of the season. He's not flashy but that kind of solid stabilizing play is coveted and why teams were willing to pay a high price.

To call him mediocre and suggest we just "wash our hands of him" is beyond weak.
Amazing how knowledgeable you are compared to those of us who disagree. Maybe it's you who's looking at things through rose coloured glasses. As much as Brodie gave up the puck so did Hamonic. His passing at times was beyond mediocre as was his decision making.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote