Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #21
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find them incredibly entertaining, simply because my wife is far to kind to say no, or to tell them she's not interested, or to leave.
She will stand there and listen to their entire pitch, and then tell them she needs to discuss with me, at which point I try to stop laughing long enough to go to the door and tell the sales person we're not buying anything and not to come back.

Last week she stood at the door for a good 15 minutes listening to the Vivint Security pitch. After I got rid of the guy in less than 15 seconds she gave me crap for making her go through that, I told her just to treat them the same way she treats me, as she has no trouble telling me to take a hike, lol. She told me to take a hike...
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I usually ditch the 'Security System' salesmen.

"Show us what you have and your invoices and everything and we can tell you if we can do better."

Thanks. No.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The guys that don't come around any more are the Jehovah's Witnesses, they used to show up all the time, selling the Watchtower, and they'd bring their kids along to get sympathy.

When there are teams of two, I always ask the question "How far are you willing to go to make a deal?"

If they say they'll do whatever it takes

"Would you kill your partner?"

They usually leave.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get many in our neighbourhood in the S.W. Just cable and utilities. When you're holding back a largish, barking dog by the collar, door-to-door salespeople move on quickly.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #25
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The guys that don't come around any more are the Jehovah's Witnesses, they used to show up all the time, selling the Watchtower, and they'd bring their kids along to get sympathy.
Ironically that is the most recent one we have had, it was about 6 weeks ago. This year there does not seem to many door to door on my street, and in general we never really got that many to begin with. We are in the far NW.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #26
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
2. Business Coach.

"Did you know that your frontage doesnt get a lot of foot traffic?"

No way. I never knew that. What a revelation! No wonder you're such an illustriously successful business coach that you're cold-calling door-to-door with amazingly brilliant insights such as this.

I dont want to be the H&R Block in Chinook Centre, I cant even imagine the kind of work that would go through that place.
I can't see how you're not drowning in walk in traffic where you are located.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #27
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I just stopped answering the door. Ditto with the phone.

If they know me, they'll leave a message.

Anti-social I suppose, but life is too short to waste on unsolicited salespeople.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get the occasional insurance salesman showing up. Politely tell him no thanks. People are just trying to make a living I see no reason to be rude to them
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meritmat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #29
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

None this year. Last year almost non-stop until I put up signage. Then it pretty much dwindled right off. We have a peephole in the front door now so I always look before answering and if there's a clipboard, I walk away and ignore. Most that still came would read my sign and laugh and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Vivint Security was at my house yesterday trying to sell their crap using the usual BS tactics.

"Ya, your neighbours just signed up with us"
"Oh did they? That's interesting seeing as that place has been vacant for almost 2 months now."
Vivint was the worst offender last year. They'd send a different schmuck every time. Same story - " Your neighbours have signed with us!"

"Yeah? Good for them. Guess I'm smarter than they are. By the way, which neighbours?" *schmuck points out neighbours to either side of us* "Haha, they sure teach you to lie well hey? I know both sets and they hate you guys and wouldn't sign up of their lives depended on it. And how many times have you signed them up now because a different rep has been by every day this week and they all claimed to have signed them up too. Bugger off" Signed them up haha - the little old lady on one side would be more likely to chase them down the street with her bat than sign a thing.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #30
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got a few when we first moved in, but in our complex everyone's living area is on the second level. I guess they figured out, if most people aren't going to answer the door for a random, people really aren't going to bother if they have to go up and down stairs as well.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The only people I get are the Mormons and the JW's trying to sell their religion.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #32
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The door to door salespeople is increasing because of the National Do Not Call List prevents them from telemarketing.

Now we need a National Do Not Visit List.
You mean the DNC list prevents calls? Couldn't tell from my experience.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had a door to door salesperson in years although I do see the occasional JW or Mormon roaming the area.

The ones that really bug me these days are the charity muggers or chuggers. I don't care what your pitch is or how much you try and flirt with me, a random person at the mall is not going to convince me to sign up for anything.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #34
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some furnace sales ###### at my door: "Hi Mr Bagger! I see you live in a community from the 90s, did you know that furnaces from that era are now considered low efficiency?"

Me: "Yes I do, I'm just curious if I can see your credentials to assess the efficiency of a furnace? Are you an HVAC tech, mechanical engineering tech or engineer?"

Them: "well no I'm not but my employer has trained me to identify which furnaces are efficient and which arent"

*proceeds to show me 3 pictures of furnaces with the words low efficiency, medium efficiency and high efficiency underneath*

Me: "I'd feel much more comfortable talking to someone with a qualification, no thanks".
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #35
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a rule. If I dont recognize you, I don't open the door

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #36
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I just answer the door naked now. I’m naked in my house ffs. If you can’t deal with me saying no I’ll make you never wanna come back after you see my rapidly aging drooping flabby idgaf .

They don’t come back usually.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Some furnace sales ###### at my door: "Hi Mr Bagger! I see you live in a community from the 90s, did you know that furnaces from that era are now considered low efficiency?"

Me: "Yes I do, I'm just curious if I can see your credentials to assess the efficiency of a furnace? Are you an HVAC tech, mechanical engineering tech or engineer?"

Them: "well no I'm not but my employer has trained me to identify which furnaces are efficient and which arent"

*proceeds to show me 3 pictures of furnaces with the words low efficiency, medium efficiency and high efficiency underneath*

Me: "I'd feel much more comfortable talking to someone with a qualification, no thanks".
When did this happen? It is illegal in Alberta to sell furnances, water heaters, windows, AC, energy contracts door to door since Jan 1, 2017.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #38
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I just answer the door naked now. I’m naked in my house ffs. If you can’t deal with me saying no I’ll make you never wanna come back after you see my rapidly aging drooping flabby idgaf .

They don’t come back usually.
I think you'd need to be extra concerned the times they do
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #39
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You mean the DNC list prevents calls? Couldn't tell from my experience.
I got one at 6:30 in the mother effen morning today!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoke too soon - Vivent just came to the door. Guy had his spiel down pat, i couldnt get rid of him for 10 minutes.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote