Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #41
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What do you people expect? It's Florida. The Lightning had done very little of note up until that point. Since that time the building has been pretty full most years. Are you also mad that Carolina won the cup over Edmonton the next season, and yet has been struggling to fill the building since? Shouldn't that be a worse offense?

And this might be an unpopular stance, but here goes: Even if that goal was in during game 6 (and there's good reason to believe it was, but it's still pretty hard to tell), and if the Flames truly were the better team they would have found another way to win that game, OR, maybe, just maybe, they would have been the better team in game 7 and won that one.

Tampa was the better team, AND they deserved to win. The Flames of that year were a beautiful cinderella story, and despite the fact they were an incredibly hard-working team, they were bested by a superior talent who also worked very, very hard to earn what they did. They possibly caught a break, but it happens. Get over it, it's been over 10 years. Perhaps sportsmanship is something we all need to learn a little bit more about. Accepting defeat and congratulating the winner are qualities often associated with sportsmanship.
You're telling me that you wouldn't be annoyed to be so passionate about a team, and have that team lose to a team with almost no fanbase, and where the city is mostly apathetic about the game and the sport? Especially when your team was a questionable call away from winning arguably the most difficult trophy to win in sports?

I understand that hockey isn't the top sport in Florida and that most of the kids in the Tampa area didn't grow up playing, or watching hockey. In my post, I acknowledged that hockey's popularity has probably grown in the Tampa area, and wasn't a condemnation of Tampa or the fanbase as it stands now.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #42
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I imagine that a Tampa Bay fan felt the same way in 2004 as I did when the Roughnecks won their championship in 2009. I was glad to see the hometown team win, but it certainly wasn't a special moment for me like it was when the Flames won the Stanley Cup in 1989 or would have been in 2004 had Marty buried that puck into the back of the net in game 6. I'm sure Lightning fans feel the same when they compare it to the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl in 2002.

I'm definitely not over it 10 plus years later, but it is not the Gelinas play that upsets me. It is the missed penalty call on Jason Cullimore in OT that led to the turnover that resulted in the game winning goal by that little punk Martin St. Louis...
Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
I imagine that a Tampa Bay fan felt the same way in 2004 as I did when the Roughnecks won their championship in 2009. I was glad to see the hometown team win, but it certainly wasn't a special moment for me like it was when the Flames won the Stanley Cup in 1989 or would have been in 2004 had Marty buried that puck into the back of the net in game 6. I'm sure Lightning fans feel the same when they compare it to the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl in 2002.

I'm definitely not over it 10 plus years later, but it is not the Gelinas play that upsets me. It is the missed penalty call on Jason Cullimore in OT that led to the turnover that resulted in the game winning goal by that little punk Martin St. Louis...
Or the trip that St. Louis did to free the puck that led to the tie.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #44
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, super entertaining WJC is done, back to boring old NHL hockey. Go Flames!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a bold post to have around these parts CPP.

That said, you're not wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #46
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being Cvik's last game as a linesman, and given that he broke in during the 80s hey day, I suggest it is only appropriate for an extended linebrawl for him to break up.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
says the guy with oilers vinegar in his avatar
has there been an organization more dormant over the last 10 years than the oilers?
IMO it's easy, hate em all if you wanna. a hearty boo to any Calgarians showing up at the dome with their lightning jerseys on tonight.
It's hard to tell at that resolution, but it is actually a Blackhawks player. I just always liked the picture of a 'dead' player below a "Travel Alberta" sign. Though, ironically, the game was in Anaheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Here, let me reignite that hatred that I know lies deep inside you.

NSFW!

Now imagine that was Iggy, Gelinas and all our boys instead.

TBL were my 2nd favourite team as a kid. But it is every Flames' fans duty to hold that grudge until the day we die.

I like some of their players. Can't stand that organization.
Ehh. I was there. Got to watch our dreams get crushed in person. Even went to their SC parade. I won't watch highlights of game 7 for any reason, but I have nothing against the Lightning as an organization.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #48
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't watch a single game of WJC.
Fine with it.

GFG!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ugh, super entertaining WJC is done, back to boring old NHL hockey. Go Flames!
Regular season play is definitely less exciting most of the time
Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
It was a strange dynamic that night. The Tampa fans in the arena were every bit as passionate as we are, and their celebration was far greater than we saw with the Roughnecks. But once you got out of the arena district, things quieted down considerably. It was a very localized jubilation, rather than the city wide party that Calgary was.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #51
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Screw Tampa. Orlando is so much better. Tampa is the #### hole of Florida.
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #52
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Regular season play is definitely less exciting most of the time
I will take top tier pro hockey every time. The officiating, different rules and overall lack of discipline make these things a bit of a mess.

That said Olympic caliber hockey > NHL all the way.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #53
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames win 3-2 Mony with 2 Goals, Bennett with the third.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #54
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

12-0 Flames. Drouin and Stamkos demand trades to Calgary after the game is over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #55
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Olympics are my jam, too. The very best of the world battling it out for their flags.

Unless there are some special headlines to follow or surefire superstars in the making going head to head, the WJCs aren't much of a draw for me. It's a tourney of kids still early in their development. Yes, national pride enters the equation but it's not exactly the highest tier of international play, so the stakes don't really feel there, like the past two Olympics particularly.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #56
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames win 4-1. Gaudreau with 2 assists. Monahan with the hattrick. Bennett with a beautiful goal that is the highlight of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
It still hurts. I will forever hold a grudge vs. that stupid team from Florida.
For the same reason, I don't understand how anyone can be both a fan of the Flames and Habs.

Last edited by troutman; 01-05-2016 at 03:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #58
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Flames win 3-2 Mony with 2 Goals, Bennett with the third.
Came here to write the same prediction, I hope you and I are on to something.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
For the same reason, I don't understand how anyone can be both of fan of the Flames and Habs.
I was both for a while because I was a Habs fan pre-Flames. The Lafleur, Robinson, Dryden era.

The Habs lost me when they changed their style with Carbonneau, etc.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Ferland-Backlund-Jones
Bennett-Granlund-Raymond
Bouma-Stajan-Jooris

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
Smid-Wideman
Goaltenders:
Ramo (Starter)
Hiller
For **** sakes, PLEASE switch Colborne and Ferland!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin