Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #461
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

When you guys hike, do you walk around with your bear spray out of its holster and in your hand? I was doing that yesterday while shaking bear bells and thought it may be coming off as a bit paranoid, although if there was a bear attack I'd want the spray in my hand so it seems sensible, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #462
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
When you guys hike, do you walk around with your bear spray out of its holster and in your hand? I was doing that yesterday while shaking bear bells and thought it may be coming off as a bit paranoid, although if there was a bear attack I'd want the spray in my hand so it seems sensible, too.
I don't carry bells. From what I have read they are not loud enough for the bears to hear you coming. I just make lots of noise. Yelling Hello Bear when going around blind corners, around noisy water and when Hiking into the wind. If you are in a tight group of 4 no one has ever been attacked. I think in a group of 4 you naturally make lots of noise just talking so it's just near other noisy areas that I yell then

For bear spray I carry it in the holster on a belt if I am day hiking and out of a holster clipped to my sternum strap if backpacking. Definately keep it accessible and out of a pack but I think in holster is good enough unless you are walking past fresh hot piles of bear scat.

The only risk with carrying it in hand would be slipping and falling and accidently discharging it or the canister bursting on rocks.

In my bear encounters there has always been time to pull out the bear spray from the holster and have never had to use it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #463
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My bag has a couple outside pockets for water bottle or whatever so I keep it there. Have never carried it in my hands. And ya I've heard bells don't do anything. Not enough noise and they are so common.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #464
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Good points on the bells. I started off with them clipped to my pack and they didn't ring at all. So I was carrying them in my hand and jingling them like Santa, but that was annoying af. If they don't do anything I'd be happy to not bother.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #465
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get a holster for the bear spray and clip it anywhere on your backpack. Or improvise something with velcro straps.

I am surprised bear bells are allowed to be sold as such. I haven't heard anything about their efficacy. I have seen people with them, and I haven't heard any dingling until I was basically passing them on the trail.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #466
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have always found your approach/response to bears to be measured and level headed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #467
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I always keep mine on my belt, i take the cap off when i make visual contact or see/smell fresh bear sign. Make sure you know how to use it/understand the spray pattern. This goes for bear banger especially, i can tell you i have watched a few different bears run towards people because the banger they fired landed behind the bear and it ran past the people to get away.

If your bottle is a few years old id recommend using it up and the end of your season and getting a fresh one next season. I had one sitting for a while i sprayed off last hunting season and it barely had any heat left to it.

Lastly keep in mind the scenario where you are most likely to have an encounter is when the wind is in your face and this is when you'll least want to use spray lol so if your hiking this is the best time to make noise now and then.
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #468
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't carry bells. From what I have read they are not loud enough for the bears to hear you coming. I just make lots of noise. Yelling Hello Bear when going around blind corners, around noisy water and when Hiking into the wind. If you are in a tight group of 4 no one has ever been attacked. I think in a group of 4 you naturally make lots of noise just talking so it's just near other noisy areas that I yell then
We were at Grotto Canyon a while ago when they had a bear in the area. We actually ran into a conservation officer shortly after starting up the path and he told us that bear bells were largely ineffective. He recommended just talking loudly as it would provide more warning to the bears. My kids still like shaking the bells though. It is part of the fun for them.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #469
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am surprised bear bells are allowed to be sold as such. I haven't heard anything about their efficacy.
There was a good study by a renown bear biologist (I think it was Dr. Tom Smith?) that proved them useless.

REI promptly persuaded him to not release it with much fanfare since it's a 5+ million dollar business for them.

They're basically the homeopathy of the outdoor world.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #470
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love mid winter days in June. Saw two bears today and no people. Perfect.

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #471
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snow, rain, hail and this..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #472
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do you often run into bears and other wildlife when out hiking? We've done 5 hikes in the Yukon and saw no people or wildlife other than a mountain goat on the next mountain over. We did see grizzly scat and fur and scratch marks on the trees. Probably best we didn't run into them though, the bark they chewed off the tree was about 8 feet high.

Last edited by shane_c; 06-21-2018 at 11:49 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #473
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are so many bears this year. Lots of snow and lots of berries. I've seen 4 on the highway already. I think we have been very close to bears but have only seen two on hikes. Lots of tracks. I use a leash all the time until we get to our destination which is usually a hanging valley or lake, somewhere surrounded by cliffs and out of the trees with a view of everything. Then I feel like we're safe enough to run free. This pic is piper pass yesterday and I think we were the first ones there this year. There were bear tracks all the way to the top of the very high col where the dog is sitting. I guess he was just out for a hike,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #474
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had any close encounters with bears. Only saw one that was quite a distance away, and we back-tracked to avoid it. I usually spot them more often when driving or boating. Otherwise haven't come across much besides deer and elk.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #475
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish I didn't have such a phobia of Bears/being attacked that I could actually enjoy hiking to something like this. Unfortunately all I can think about is coming across a bear at the next turn and promptly ####ting myself in fear.

Bad encounter as a kid in radium 20+ years ago and for the life of me cant shake it.

TLDR: I'm a wuss w/ Bears
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #476
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There are so many bears this year. Lots of snow and lots of berries. I've seen 4 on the highway already. I think we have been very close to bears but have only seen two on hikes. Lots of tracks. I use a leash all the time until we get to our destination which is usually a hanging valley or lake, somewhere surrounded by cliffs and out of the trees with a view of everything. Then I feel like we're safe enough to run free. This pic is piper pass yesterday and I think we were the first ones there this year. There were bear tracks all the way to the top of the very high col where the dog is sitting. I guess he was just out for a hike,
We were planning to do Piper Pass July long.
Was there a ton of snow all the way? Never done it before.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #477
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
We were planning to do Piper Pass July long.
Was there a ton of snow all the way? Never done it before.
No it will be totally dry by then for sure. There's just a fun amount of snow now. Let me know if you want short cut directions. It's way better doing the short cut but it requires some faith.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #478
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I wish I didn't have such a phobia of Bears/being attacked that I could actually enjoy hiking to something like this. Unfortunately all I can think about is coming across a bear at the next turn and promptly ####ting myself in fear.

Bad encounter as a kid in radium 20+ years ago and for the life of me cant shake it.

I hear ya! Though I've had zero encounters with bears while hiking, the thought of running into one terrifies me. Particularly if I have my son with me.

My favourite post on here was by afcwimbledon who once said something like hiking is serious business over here where you have to do all kinds of preparation whereas on the other side of the pond you can just go for a brisk walk in the hills after a Sunday dinner in the pub. I'll add to that and say that we never had anything that could kill you when you go for a walk either. Hell, I'd never had a mosquito bite til I moved over here. And boy, did my fresh blood attract them then.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #479
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Just invite that annoying guy from the office everyone hates. See a bear? Push that guy down. Problem solved.

Note: I am not a bear expert...or a very nice person
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #480
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were hitting the Burgess Shales - Walcott Quarry hike this weekend. Anyone do this one? It seems pretty daunting from the emails from parks canada and such they have sent and what is required. But the actual hike seems not bad - 21 km and 825 m elevation gain.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness