Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #1401
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how Hamilton does without his security blanket in Giordano.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #1402
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I think it was a fair trade and I like Hanifin but there is this from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/405836/2018/...s-blockbuster/

Give the Canes an A- and the Flames a C+.

Basically they feel there was no need for the Flames to add Fox as Hanfin/Lindholm for Hamilton/Ferland should have been enough.
The more I look at this, the more I think the deal was Lindolm and Hanifin for Hamilton and Fox, with Ferland being the additional piece. Considering Fox wasn't going to sign anyway, I'm ok with that part of it. Since Ferland was about to be replaced by Lindholm, and wouldn't be worth much on his own in a trade, I don't mind him being included either.

I really like Ferland and I'm hoping he continues to do alright for himself, but I don't see him netting 20 again away from Johnny and Monny.

So...

Lindholm
Hanifin

Hamilton
Fox (wasn't going to sign)
+Ferland (replaced by Lindholm; UFA next year; not a valuable trade asset)

...suddenly I'm feeling a lot better about losing Hamilton.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #1403
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I think it was a fair trade and I like Hanifin but there is this from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/405836/2018/...s-blockbuster/

Give the Canes an A- and the Flames a C+.

Basically they feel there was no need for the Flames to add Fox as Hanfin/Lindholm for Hamilton/Ferland should have been enough.
I find it annoying when pundits and fans make determinations about what a player or collection of players "should" have garnered in a completed trade. Unless the deal is outrageously one-sided (i.e., Griffin Reinhart for draft picks #16, #33), then it is really too difficult to say what "should" have been exchanged without actually being party to the negotiations, or privy to other offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #1404
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
It will be interesting to see how Hamilton does without his security blanket in Giordano.
Just fine apparently. But Brodie is one happy boy today. Heeeeee's Baaaaccckk!
Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #1405
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
This is ridiculous hyperbole. Hamilton went back to junior for a year and a half after his draft. Hanifin stepped into the NHL immediately. His offensive numbers have also been basically the same as Hamilton's. I have no idea how you can say that Hamilton is so much better at any matching stage of their careers to this point.

Dougie Hamilton: draft + 1 season - 42 gp, 5 g, 16 p
Dougie Hamilton: draft + 2 season - 64 gp, 7 g, 25 p

Noah Hanifin: draft season - 79 gp, 4 g, 22 p
Noah Hanifin: draft + 1 season - 81 gp, 4 g, 29 p
Noah Hanifin: draft + 2 season - 79 gp, 10 g, 32 p
So we ignore the draft +3 season where Hamilton clearly became the better offensive player while posting superior possession stats at the same time as facing harder minutes?

There's plenty of hope that hanifin can continue to develop into a top pairing guy, but let's not pretend that he's Hamilton's equal three years into his career.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:35 AM   #1406
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Faulk is the worst defender in the NHL bar none , out of position constantly , very weak clearing puck and board work also very weak clearing in front of net . His only asset is he is ok on PP brutal defensively , and Faulk does not carry as much value people thinks he does , pro scouts actuallywatch players. Faulk has never had a season where his overall season had any positive impact .

Not unlike your punctuation.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #1407
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
His numbers have been pretty consistent with or without Giordano. As much of a boost as Gio was to him he also made Gios numbers better as well.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #1408
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Not unlike your punctuation.
Don't be to upset , it's the internet
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flamenfame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #1409
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not gonna get into Hamilton cause there's still too many unknowns and unsubstantiated rumors.
With that said, I'm honestly most sad that Ferland was involved. Was he inconsistent? Yes, but he got better every year and IMO a great complimentary piece for the 1st line, a lot like Tom Wilson in Washington. You need these kind of guys to win championships.
I love everything about this player and I really hope he continues to get better. Oh well, I guess more reason to tune into Carolina games next year.

If they do use Lindholm on the 1st line, I can't see him being that big of an upgrade over Ferland. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see him potting 50-60pts.
The fact that Ferland is a UFA in a few years is also moot, there is no way he gonna get paid what Lindholm will be commanding... and if he does it means he obviously put up the numbers to warrant it.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 AM   #1410
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just came to say I ####ing hate this trade. I fail to see how the Flames are improved, and god dammit I liked Ferland. At least I have a team to root for out east, but this trade runs me in all the wrong places.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #1411
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
If they do use Lindholm on the 1st line, I can't see him being that big of an upgrade over Ferland. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see him potting 50-60pts.
I can see him putting up more points, being better defensively and being a big asset in the face off circle.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 AM   #1412
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm worried that this deal does not entirely address the offense requirements for the flames, I don't think that they have advanced far enough to be a real contender - they still need some offense - good start, but Lindholm isn't going to score the extra goals the flames need to compete. There has got to be another traded in the works ( I hope).
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 AM   #1413
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Don't be to upset , it's the internet

*too
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 AM   #1414
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not crazy about this trade even though I like both guys coming back. I just feel that Hamilton has more value than Lindholm and Hanifin with his offensive track record. While Lindholm and Hanifin are both likely to continue developing, so does Hamilton.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:06 AM   #1415
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Comments from Hurricanes fans about Lindholm and Hanifin. Very little positive for a Flames fan honestly.
I have to laugh at the "Lindholm is what he is now" stuff. Young centermen can take a while before they really figure things out in the NHL and take their game to the next level ... Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn are two recent examples. Couturier really only exploded last season, which was his 7th in the league. Schenn also improved step by step and really took off in his 7th year too. Lindholm is every bit as talented as those two, there's no reason why he shouldn't have it in him to kick into the next gear as well. There's no guarantee obviously, but "he is what he is" is weird statement about a talented 23-year-old center.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 03:28 AM   #1416
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lindholm, could play RW, but how good a center is he, is he now the Flames 2nd or 3rd best center? So the top 6-9 might be better or just different now, with 5/9 are C's. Hope that Hanifin-Hamilton is or soon be a wash, I remember seeing Hanifin in his rookie year against the Flames and thinking, guy can really skate. As for Fox how good a prospect was he regardless of whether he was going to sign or not, somewhat disappointed that nothing else came back even a 7th pick.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 AM   #1417
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
So we ignore the draft +3 season where Hamilton clearly became the better offensive player while posting superior possession stats at the same time as facing harder minutes?

There's plenty of hope that hanifin can continue to develop into a top pairing guy, but let's not pretend that he's Hamilton's equal three years into his career.
The point is he’s followed a very similar developmental curve to Hamilton at the same ages to this point and you can’t xompaer draft + 3 seasons because Hanifin hasn’t played his yet.

He’s not 2017/2018 Hamilton yet but at the same age they were pretty close - causing hope that maybe he could develop to be equal to Hamilton or maybe even better.

I kinda wonder if Flames brass thinks Hamilton has kinda stalled in development the last 3 seasons and think that Hanifin has more room to grow now - Hamilton has been very good as part of an elite pairing with Gio but hasn’t really closed weaknesses in his game that were there in his first season in Calgary to his third.

All that being said including Fox and Ferland is still too much IMO - either Carolina needed to add another piece (2nd rounder say) or it should have been a lesser prospect than Fox.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:41 AM   #1418
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slept over it, and the more I think about the deal, the more I like it. Not going into the alleged off-the-ice stuff, I'm not really interested in those rumours and speculation and personally always feel it's petty when that stuff comes up after a trade (see Hamilton trade 2015). My initial thought was that we certainly overpaid, but I'm not so sure anymore. Adding a 21-year-old defenseman with elite potential and a 23-year-old top 6 center will always cost you an arm and a leg ... heck, to say that getting two former top 5 picks who have done well at the NHL level in a trade is rare would be an understatement. Most importantly, I think the Flames today are a more balanced team than they were yesterday.

Right now, it's a downgrade defensively in my opinion. Hanifin has elite potential, but he isn't there yet and right now he's probably not a top-pairing defenseman just yet. But that's okay, he'll get there and be Giordanos heir in a couple of years. One key for me is Brodie going back to play with Giordano ... if that change gets Brodie back to where he was pre-Gulutzan, then I think we look at a very balanced and talented blueline. Knowing that we have Gio-Brodie and Hanifin-Hamonic as the top 4 with guys like Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington knocking at the door is exciting.

Up front, I firmly believe that it's going to be a massive upgrade. And to be clear, I like Ferland a lot. But to me, he is not a top line winger and will never be. In a perfect world, he's a 3rd line winger that can play up the lineup when necessary. Lindholm is a completely different beast in my opinion, regardless of whether they stick him on the right wing or play him at center. And again, I wouldn't be surprised if took the next step soon. Looking back at the 2013 draft thread, CP was completely torn between him and Monahan - having them both in the fold long-term is exciting too.

Losing Fox hurts, even after learning that he didn't want to sign. I think he's going to be a really solid NHLer and having to include him in the deal sucks. But having Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington in the fold certainly softens the blow a bit for me ... Flames dealt from a position of strength here.

Hopefully both Hanifin and Lindholm are re-signed ASAP, and hopefully Tre can work some magic here. In any case, there should be money left for a good UFA winger ... a Neal or JVR would be a great help to the offense, but that's what I thought when we got Brouwer too ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #1419
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post

Hanifin hasn’t played his draft+3 season yet so this year determines his trajectory vs hamilton. Seems like at draft +2 they were pretty comparable.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 AM   #1420
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Lol we fleeced the canes. This trade will pay dividends for a decade
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote